• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Waterpump bearing despair

spencer

Accelerating Away
What next! The bearing is definately going on my water pump. I can't believe that there is no grease nipple anywhere. And this a Land Rover!
What we need is for pattern-part manufacturers to improve on the OE shite. Bearing in mind the fact that waterpumps are prone to malfunction where was the logic of making a sealed for life unit like this on a vehicle that slogs for a living!
Bah-Humbug!
The Yanks would never have settled for this kinda crap!

Well there you go then!

The water pump bearing looks to have gone on mine too. Full price £117, discount price £82. Never mind these things come (and go) to try us.:(

£117!!!!!! $403NZD for a water-pump [bearing?]!

Holy Shit!!!! We buy old series Landrovers for that!!!

Ash:eek: :eek:

No no!!!

You can't buy the bloody bearing. You have to buy the casing with seals, bearings, impeller - the whole friggin' shooting match.:(

Jeeeeez
I'm hanging on to my spare bearing, shaft & impeller then!

As a matter of passing interest, what does it cost you to recondition an engine? [Ball-park figure, I guess]

Ash

You can buy a whole water pump from Paddocks for £14.45. I fitted one about 3 years ago and have have no problems with it.........so far.:)

Think I'll try and get Bearmach to take £3.50 and a nest of coffee tables. If not, I'll throw the tables through the window!

Water pump

Finally got the water pump fitted yesterday, so I'll go for a wizz to test it today. Nice straightforward job - not!:mad:

Watter pump!

There are 5 diferent ones as I understand - not including the latest RR/Disco convoluted whirlygig belt thingy type. They range from reasonable price to expensive - guess which mine is? The new one has a completely different impeller to the old one and the motor seems to run cooler so maybe higher flow. Ah well, it's only money. (sob!)
Ash, it depends on how much you decide to recondition - mine was about £3.5K but it was a complete rebuild with a lot of special bits in.

Lovely day I had on Thursday. I had to get two new tyres on the back and had phoned up a local tyre rip-offery who had General Grabber AP's in stock for £55.
When I got there they didn't have General anyhtings so as I was pushed for time I had to settle for Severo something or others. Then they announced that they didn't have big enough valves. Eventually they got the valves and then announced that I had the wrong size hubs for their balancing machine.
By this time I was extremely f*@ked off and was late to go and get my water pump and headlamps sorted.
Normally I would do this sort of thing myself but I haven't really felt like gashing myself with rounded bolts lately. So I was going to see Keith from KPJ Engineering in Raglan ( 45 min thrash away from home ) and stuck in rush hour traffic.
I didn't get to Keith's until 5.20 pm. He said he could hear my water pump bearing from 5 miles away and knew it was me for sure when he saw a faint orange glow coming from my headlamps.
New waterpump was £30 and has made me realise that the old one had been making a noise for three years only reaching this aweful crescendo a couple of weeks ago. Amazing really that it didn't lose a drop of water let alone blow big time!
New halogen lamps........wow!

Tends to be that way, mate.
Either they scream blue murder and are watertight, or silent and piddle on the floor. Mind you I have seen several that do both.

Sounds familiar

Originally posted by DEANO3528
Tends to be that way, mate.
Either they scream blue murder and are watertight, or silent and piddle on the floor. Mind you I have seen several that do both.

Just like kids really. Glad I never had any of the little tw@s.

Back
Top Bottom