• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Wet Rear

denzilsdad

In Fourth Gear
Hi, hope everyone is well and happy. Have been leaving a dehumidifier in the 90 for the last week. It's nearly full. Removed the carpet from the rear and it's very wet, mainly around the hinges that support the two rear seats and up around where the bulkhead was. Is this a case of drying it all out and Sikaflexing, or strip caulking (similar to dum dum) the hinges and bolts or maybe something a little more sinister? It does have condensation under the rear offside window and Alpine window, but this amount of water is rotting the carpet. Any suggestions are welcome.

Have a great weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0707-1.jpg
    IMG_0707-1.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 13
Be cautious with applying caulking or any kind of waterproofing...
I've see cases where it was holding more water in than out.
Thanks for responding, I shall heed your warning. Will dry it out and seal between the deck and the seat mountings. If not, I'll just keep removing carpet etc. It's a good time to do this as I've just received a load of Dynamat and Dodo liner to soundproof it. I knew this would be a bit 'hands on', but it's like having a second job.

It does have condensation under the rear offside window and Alpine window, but this amount of water is rotting the carpet. Any suggestions are welcome
1. Can you change the rubbers to make sure windows are sealed properly?
2. Why water around the seat hinges - perhaps exposed cold metal for moisture to condense on?
3. Is your floor sound. I found small holes in mine where the aluminium tub floor had corroded (replaced the floor). Could water be sprayed up through these under the carpet getting it wet? Or loose bolts letting water seal past?
4. I found water laying in the internal channel where the roof joins the walls. Do you have leaks here?
5. What about the waist joint where the tub meets the side walls? Same question - any leaks here?
6. Obvious one - door seals OK?
7. Insulate properly and you won't get condensation. Then it comes down to whether there are any routes for water to get into the rear of the vehicle.
Be cautious with applying caulking or any kind of waterproofing...
I've see cases where it was holding more water in than out.
I'd agree. If sealing joints I'd be inclined to make sure I did both inside and out and be very thorough about it to make sure you don't trap water in the joints. Also make sure joints are clean, de-rusted, and any residual rust treated with rust converter and dry before sealing. I used silkaflex. Loads of photos on my conversion thread of cleaning, sealing and then sound proofing if it's any help to you. I literally sealed every single joint and seam in the entire vehicle before applying SilentCoat (similar to the Dynamat you are using). I also foam filled every strut - no cavities for condensation to form or noise to reverberate. Every entry point for water was sealed. SilentCoat went on every single surface. I also added acoustic foam on the roof and walls. Result - no condensation at all - there are virtually no exposed surfaces left. eg:
45.png
46.png
47.png

48.png
50.png

56.png

Hope that is of some help or gives you ideas to solve your problem.

Wow, nice job on sealing and soundproofing. Thanks for the advice.

1. Can you change the rubbers to make sure windows are sealed properly? Will change the OS window surrounds and felt.
2. Why water around the seat hinges - perhaps exposed cold metal for moisture to condense on? I think there is too much water for it to be condensation.
3. Is your floor sound. I found small holes in mine where the aluminium tub floor had corroded (replaced the floor). Could water be sprayed up through these under the carpet getting it wet? Or loose bolts letting water seal past? Fllor looks ok, bolts are all tight, however a couple are badly rusted.
4. I found water laying in the internal channel where the roof joins the walls. Do you have leaks here? No.
5. What about the waist joint where the tub meets the side walls? Same question - any leaks here? I think there is water coming in here on the OS, will remove all the trim and seal the join.
6. Obvious one - door seals OK? They look good.
7. Insulate properly and you won't get condensation. Then it comes down to whether there are any routes for water to get into the rear of the vehicle. Yep, the dehumidifier is doing its job.

1. Can you change the rubbers to make sure windows are sealed properly?
2. Why water around the seat hinges - perhaps exposed cold metal for moisture to condense on?
3. Is your floor sound. I found small holes in mine where the aluminium tub floor had corroded (replaced the floor). Could water be sprayed up through these under the carpet getting it wet? Or loose bolts letting water seal past?
4. I found water laying in the internal channel where the roof joins the walls. Do you have leaks here?
5. What about the waist joint where the tub meets the side walls? Same question - any leaks here?
6. Obvious one - door seals OK?
7. Insulate properly and you won't get condensation. Then it comes down to whether there are any routes for water to get into the rear of the vehicle.

I'd agree. If sealing joints I'd be inclined to make sure I did both inside and out and be very thorough about it to make sure you don't trap water in the joints. Also make sure joints are clean, de-rusted, and any residual rust treated with rust converter and dry before sealing. I used silkaflex. Loads of photos on my conversion thread of cleaning, sealing and then sound proofing if it's any help to you. I literally sealed every single joint and seam in the entire vehicle before applying SilentCoat (similar to the Dynamat you are using). I also foam filled every strut - no cavities for condensation to form or noise to reverberate. Every entry point for water was sealed. SilentCoat went on every single surface. I also added acoustic foam on the roof and walls. Result - no condensation at all - there are virtually no exposed surfaces left. eg:
View attachment 527932View attachment 527933View attachment 527934
View attachment 527935View attachment 527936
View attachment 527937
Hope that is of some help or gives you ideas to solve your problem.

I had water getting somewhere near the rear door as the carpet was getting wet, I investigated and found a water trail under the rear quarter window behind the plastic trim panel. I happened to touch the bolt right in the corner and it was quite loose, having tightened this no further leaks.

Back
Top Bottom