• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What an epic I had last night.

Swingletree

Extreme Landy Fan
I bought a Disco T box from Andy46 on here, (Ta Andy, it got here just fine :)). Solast night I thought I would sort out my TBox ratios to give me a better fuel economy by using the Disco 1.2 ratio gear.

Having spoken to toppa about it and looked at various pages in the manual. We had decided that it was the intermediate gear that gave the Disco a lower ratio. It looked like an easy job to swap the gear between the two boxes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the upshot of it is that even after you cut up one of the intermediate shafts to use as a dummy shaft to hold the spacer in place, and removed your Tbox cos you can't see why your shaft isn't coming out, the gears aren't interchangeable between boxes!

With hindsight it seems perfectly obvious to me that a larger gear will not fit inbetween two other gears where a smaller gear usually resides :banghead2

:D

3a.m I got to bed last night and was up at five this morning for physical jerks, I don't know why I do this to myself :D

you do know tom that all you need to do is fit the disco box to your gearbox rather then swap internal gears?

you just wanted something to do didnt you?

you do know tom that all you need to do is fit the disco box to your gearbox rather then swap internal gears?

i spooke to him, got to be easier than tapping the hand brake mount point, and changing the drum over :D

SO what is the next move for it Tom?

Cheers

That was going to be my original plan but then I thought I would swap the gears as that way I would know that the box was in good order.

I didn't want just throw on a box of unknown condition ;)

i spooke to him, got to be easier than tapping the hand brake mount point, and changing the drum over :D

SO what is the next move for it Tom?

Cheers

I don't think I need to do the whole drilly tappy thing as I can just swap the brake assys over. Unbolt the backplates and a straight swap after all the disco brackets are removed. ;)

I am going to refurb the box first though, check the input gear is cross drilled and need to set up the torque to turn the input gear once I have re-installed the intermediate gear on a new shaft and collapsible spacer.

Without going and getting the parts book ...

The intermediate gear AND the high ratio gear down in the bottom of the box must be different. The input gear, and low ratio, are the same, so it has to be the intermediate-output gear that is different. The two gears (low and high) are free to rotate on the shaft and there is a dog clutch to link one or the other to the centre diff.

Oh yes, and dunno about later ones, but on the older ones (pre "cable into the drum" handbrake) it just needs two holes drilling and tapping 8mm to take the Defender handbrake mechanism. I think you'll find that with the later handbrake there is no bracket at all - so just undo the four bolts and swap the backplate.

:confused: I'm sure I just said that about the handbrakes :confused:

If I was still going to use my box I would have to swap over both the intermediate and high range gear from the disco box. My Landy is currently my daily driver so I'm going to just refurb the disco box in slow time so I can do it properly without rushing and then just swap the boxes in a oner. ;)

:confused: I'm sure I just said that about the handbrakes :confused
Sorry, I was confused by the wording you used (it was getting late, and I was watching TV as well) :rolleyes: I see that's what you meant now (just swap the backplate and the cable goes with it), I thought you inferred you just weren't going to bother drilling and tapping. Since I don't know what age motor you drive and what handbrake type it has ...

I drove around for years without the need to drill and tap the other hole. I just welded a plate on it to stiffen it up. My transfer box was unknown condition until i took the inspection playe off and had a look and a poke. They're quite robust items and component faliure will show up quite easily

I drove around for years without the need to drill and tap the other hole. I just welded a plate on it to stiffen it up. My transfer box was unknown condition until i took the inspection playe off and had a look and a poke. They're quite robust items and component faliure will show up quite easily

yeah, your right, but then better safe than stuck on the side of the road with no drive ;)

Back
Top Bottom