• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Whats that noise behind the dash??

Cobpiper

Accelerating Away
A bit more details re' this irritating 'creaking' sound... Its getting worse!

I have had the console vents off - nothing in there that looks like the culprit.
Had radio out and again, nothing also looked behind the Temp control unit.....nowt!
Tried spraying some WD40 down the back and that's done nothing,
Can't re-crate the creaking sound as it only happens when turning the truck or driving around a bend, when the vehicle straightens up again it sounds like two bit of plastic rubbing against eachother.

It might sound innocuous, but it is massively irritating and getting louder.

Whats behind and underneath that part of the dash??

See image, its definitely coming from underneath and behind there and is definitely inside and not outside.

Thanks again!

D2Dash.jpg

Since you said this appeared "after" the windscreen was replaced, I'd suspect the noise is coming from the plenum air intake (the plastic panel that the wipers pivot through). There is a clip that hooks under the bottom edge of the screen and a bolt holding it in place. The panel is a problem to remove if the screen fitter doesn't do things by the book and it's quite possible that it hasn't been put back right. You're pointing to the area where the noise might be from the external fitting rather than the dash. There's nothing behind the dash itself, the heater assy sits underneath.

Here's a photo of mine with the dash removed

IMG-20220514-142235.jpg

Last edited:
Since you said this appeared "after" the windscreen was replaced, I'd suspect the noise is coming from the plenum air intake (the plastic panel that the wipers pivot through). There is a clip that hooks under the bottom edge of the screen and a bolt holding it in place. The panel is a problem to remove if the screen fitter doesn't do things by the book and it's quite possible that it hasn't been put back right. You're pointing to the area where the noise might be from the external fitting rather than the dash. There's nothing behind the dash itself.

It's categorically inside, 100%. They actually came out (after me asking if it could be the windscreen fitting that was the problem). They took advantage and brought an apprentice to watch as the technician refitted another windscreen. So, unlikely to be an issue there. It's definitely, inside and underneath the dash near the window. Sounds like wire pinched between something plastic....like an old Hammer Horror film door creaking open 🤣 Doing my swede in now!

I should have also mentioned that I had removed the finisher (that the windscreen wipers fitted through) and it was still there - but that was before it got as bad as it is and it became manifestly obvious that it's inside and not out.

It's categorically inside, 100%. They actually came out (after me asking if it could be the windscreen fitting that was the problem). They took advantage and brought an apprentice to watch as the technician refitted another windscreen. So, unlikely to be an issue there. It's definitely, inside and underneath the dash near the window. Sounds like wire pinched between something plastic....like an old Hammer Horror film door creaking open 🤣 Doing my swede in now!
Well, you're going to have to bite the bullet then, get a WSM and tools, a free long weekend, and remove the dash from the vehicle.
Let us all know what you find when you fix it. :)

I guess getting some silicon spray back there is not an option then....I am going to have to explore every conceivable possibility (obviously) before removing the whole dash

Do you have an umbilical/stethoscope camera?, the sort that bluetooth's to your phone. It may help you get a view of the underside of the dash and if there is anything in contact with it that shouldn't be.

Ali-Express here I come!!!
But if you look at the photo I posted, you'll see that there is nothing to see there. The radio sits on top and in front of the heater so again, nothing to see behind the radio. If the noise is definitely "categorically inside, 100%", then there are few options that it can be. Maybe something (e.g. a coin, pen?) has somehow become trapped between the back edge of the fascia, there's a crack in the fascia itself, something in the heater assembly, heater assembly loose or cracked.

Rather than remove the whole fascia, you could loosen all of the bolts securing it in place and investigate it by pulling it forward enough to see if there's anything there.

I'm out of ideas now other to invest in a good set of earplugs. 🙉 :D

But if you look at the photo I posted, you'll see that there is nothing to see there. The radio sits on top and in front of the heater so again, nothing to see behind the radio. If the noise is definitely "categorically inside, 100%", then there are few options that it can be. Maybe something (e.g. a coin, pen?) has somehow become trapped between the back edge of the fascia, there's a crack in the fascia itself, something in the heater assembly, heater assembly loose or cracked.

Rather than remove the whole fascia, you could loosen all of the bolts securing it in place and investigate it by pulling it forward enough to see if there's anything there.

I'm out of ideas now other to invest in a good set of earplugs. 🙉 :D

Thanks, its an ongoing thing....I will report back though as I know others have had the same irritation!

then there are few options that it can be. Maybe something (e.g. a coin, pen?) has somehow become trapped between the back edge of the fascia, there's a crack in the fascia itself, something in the heater assembly, heater assembly loose or cracked.
When I removed my dash and facia fittings (all the way back to the bulkhead) I found all sorts of things stuck inside - pens, screws, nuts & bolts, coins, unused rivets and 20 years of gunk. There are gaps these things can slide down - it's a Defender after all. If it's something like this the only way I can see of finding the offending item is to strip it right back.
Could it be something as simple as a cracked piece of plastic snagging and 'snapping back' into position when turning and straightening up? Same question for something popped out of its fixing? Distorting and returning to position with each turn?
Surely the solution has to be to dismantle the dash, remove any debris, check for any damage and missing fixings and rebuild it making sure every screw and nut is tight. As you 'work your way out' ensure any moving parts eg vent vanes move freely and don't snag on anything. Perhaps think about isolating things that can rub together to keep the dash area squeak free once rebuilt.

When I removed my dash and facia fittings (all the way back to the bulkhead) I found all sorts of things stuck inside - pens, screws, nuts & bolts, coins, unused rivets and 20 years of gunk. There are gaps these things can slide down - it's a Defender after all. If it's something like this the only way I can see of finding the offending item is to strip it right back.
Could it be something as simple as a cracked piece of plastic snagging and 'snapping back' into position when turning and straightening up? Same question for something popped out of its fixing? Distorting and returning to position with each turn?
Surely the solution has to be to dismantle the dash, remove any debris, check for any damage and missing fixings and rebuild it making sure every screw and nut is tight. As you 'work your way out' ensure any moving parts eg vent vanes move freely and don't snag on anything. Perhaps think about isolating things that can rub together to keep the dash area squeak free once rebuilt.

Thanks, appreciate your feedback. I guess I am somewhat phased at the prospect of dash removal...it looks achievable, but daunting.

I guess I am somewhat phased at the prospect of dash removal...it looks achievable, but daunting.
Yep, know how you feel. I took mine apart 2 1/2 years ago as part of a rebuild. Life got in the way and I'm nearly at a point where I need to start putting it back - damned if I can remember how it came apart and where all the nuts and bolts are now :rofl:
I can see a Landrover Workshop exploded diagram and You Tube tutorials in the not too distant future.

Yep, know how you feel. I took mine apart 2 1/2 years ago as part of a rebuild. Life got in the way and I'm nearly at a point where I need to start putting it back - damned if I can remember how it came apart and where all the nuts and bolts are now :rofl:
I can see a Landrover Workshop exploded diagram and You Tube tutorials in the not too distant future.
Fook that then....might be earlier plugs after all.

Nah, I can't drive it sounding like a creaky old ship every time I take a bend.

Back
Top Bottom