• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

What's the crack with my heater?

spencer

Accelerating Away
The heater in Laughing Boy is a Clayton thingy. Fro what I understand these were an optional extra up until they were replaced by the Smiths Heater in 1958/9.
Suprisingly, some nutter robbed it from an earlier Landy to put in mine. Even more suprisingly is that it seems to work!
However, there are some strange features on it that are puzzling me. ... there is only one pipe coming out of it to attach to the vent hoses. Secondly what are the flaps for?
It seems logical to me that the fan must suck air in through the plaps and expell it through the core and vents. However, my fan seems to have been wired so that it blows out of the flaps which means that no air can be forced up through the demisters which are infront of the core!
The previous owner seems to have tried to counter this problem by wrapping the core with heavy tin foil.
If anyone knows about these heaters let me know because I don't really have the desire to rip the wiring/dash about just to find out that I was mistaken. Cheers lads.

I have not got a clue what a Clayton heater does or looks like so what I am about to say is probably a load of bollocks but.......
The heater in my Lightweight has some flap thingys on the side of it and the way it works is, with the flap things pulled open the warm(ish!) air is blown into the cab and with the flaps shut the air is blown up thru the demister vents thus (hopefully) clearing the screen.
Maybe the principal is similar, or then again maybe not!!

I suspect what Spencer is eluding to is that a Claytons heater is a heater you have when you haven't got a heater.

Based on a drink of the same name. I think it was a low or no alchohol drink hence ; "Clayton's. The drink you're having when you're not having a drink".

I thought it was an OZ thing but I suppose it could have been a multi-national.

A load of bollocks really, but the saying has endured for what, 20 or 30 years ?

Spencer, the air is normally drawn inwards through the Core , heated (?? ) & shot out (?) through the flaps &/or tubes.

As a matter of interest, my 2A heater is a " Bosch Snowranger" which has a dedicated cetrifugal blower for the demisters on the bulkhead end of the shaft & is much more efficient than the 'Smiffs'.
Appearance wise it looks like the 'Smiffs, but was originally Silver, but is now Black.

Des.:cool:

Tried changing the wires over and hey-presto, the fan turns in the same direction as before. But to be truthful I think the heater would benefit from a thermostat being fitted in the engine jobby.
Trouble is that the previous owner went to a lot of trouble to shear the housing bolts and spent a lot of money glueing the housing in place without a thermostat.
Naturally, I only found this out when I decided to put a new thermostat in. I spent two days getting the old studs out and shagged the thread in one hole. The thermostat that Bearmach supplied was for a series 1 and hence as Laughing Boy is a daily workhorse, it had to do without one.
It's worth noting that by the time I'm too old too drive, Laughing Boy will be the most sorted Land Rover around!

Back
Top Bottom