• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

WHERE DO I BUY MY DEFENDER PARTS FROM?

PNKirk

In Second Gear
I am in the process of restoring a Defender 90 from scratch. Where can I get my parts from? Don't want to pay too much!

Thanks for the help!

well congratulations on picking probably one of the better supported vehicles from a parts supply and restoration point of view
there are many manufacturers and suppliers to choose from. Everyone will have favourites and pet hates.

starting point for a defender is the chassis and bulkhead so Richards or Marsland then say Ashcroft for your axles diffs gearbox and transfer box etc
a selection of providers for new recon or used engines
then probably a bank to pay for things thus far lol
be ready...this isn't going to be cheap :whistle:

Try your local independant shop for basics, you can see what you are buying and, in my limited experience most will strive to get it in for you by the next day and it's easier to return if faulty,
Some of the online based suppliers use attrocious delivery companies which let them and the customer down and means you can be stuck waiting for parts for an extra week or so.
Atb and good luck

You can compare prices on here;

As has already been said, dont necessarily buy the cheapest.
Its worth paying more for things like brakes, bearings, seals and anything safety related or which will be difficult or expensive to replace if they fail sooner than they ought to.
People will warn you against Britpart, but some of their stuff is OK. Be selective and get advice.

Britpart ..um avoid if its rubber or safety related or under stress or moving parts or um anything really.
Some is ok ( yet to be found tbh) but the majority is tat and will make you cry and buy twice

Against the odds, the Britpart brake callipers are good. Mike at Britannica did a video or two on brakes and mentioned that the Britpart ones seemed good, so being reassured Ive had two sets now (actually, three axle pairs).
Gave them a very good looking at before fitting and coat of paint and they are fine. Next time they are off I'll rebuild with new seals (preferably not BP) and stainless cylinders (from BP). You just need to be a bit careful with any parts these days as its rare to find anything thats not made in chindia and can be suspect.

Timkin for bearings, Cortico for seals and be selective with the rest.
Which retailer they come from doesnt make much difference, its the manufacturing source you have to watch.

Be very (very!) cautious about buying from Ebay. A few scammers out there will charge well over retail in the hopes people wont compare prices. Having said that, Ive sometimes bought parts from Ebay that a retailer will supply post-free and I'll pay less than if I bought from their own website...

Back
Top Bottom