• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Diesel Engines Winter fuel mixtures

I'm reading various things about cold weather fuel mixtures .
Other than lighting up a fire below the fuel tank to unfreeze diesel what can be done to keep diesel liquid in -25c and below ...
With these harsher weather events starting I want to get prepared.....

I think the 200/300Tdi will run on either so no problems putting some in the diesel, but the Bosch VE pumps are fairly forgiving.
Other engines FIPs may not like them (depending on % used) as they will reduce pump lubrication.

I wouldnt run higher % without checking what additives were in them.
Kerosene sold as heating oil should have very few, Avgas/Jet A1 has additives, but dont ask me how they would affect your engine..

Right I have made up 3 mixes .
80% new veg oil /10% old sump oil /10 % kerosene
50% diesel / 50% kerosene
20% diesel/ 70% new veg oil /10% kerosene

I have made 1 litre of each and they are now at -18c until tomorrow.......🤔

You are already filling up with winter diesel, I think the change is around early or mid November, that should give you protection down to -15c. Cant think of many places in the UK where the temperature stays below that for extended periods of time and if it did I'm sure the local supply would take that into account.

When I've been to places that are really cold vehicles are either stored in heated garages or just left running all the time.

You are already filling up with winter diesel, I think the change is around early or mid November, that should give you protection down to -15c. Cant think of many places in the UK where the temperature stays below that for extended periods of time and if it did I'm sure the local supply would take that into account.

When I've been to places that are really cold vehicles are either stored in heated garages or just left running all the time.
No option of indoors when you are high in the mountains, even running fuel tanks can freeze at night during use so I will continue my experiment over the weekend.

Never did we use anything but diesel , petrol in Germany for the Landrovers or 4 tonners , and it got frikin cold , even the 101 mobile Milan just ran on pure fuel , is it really justified to mix fuel , please enlighten me 👍

Back
Top Bottom