• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Diesel Engines Winter fuel mixtures

The problem with twin filters is, even if one is full of kero, the other is full of diesel, which can wax up in the filter. So you get it running on kero, when you turn over to the diesel, the engine dies cos the filter is waxed up. I think a fuel heater is the way forward.

I was shocked the other week, buying kerosene for the lamps, it's quite a bit dearer by the gallon than diesel ..Ā£8 for 4ltrs in the ironmonger! Nobody else sells it round here.
Plenty of fuels available here in Cornwall. Lots of people are off grid.

If it gets that cold I will be tucked up by the stove ,loads of wood and coal ,plenty of food for me and the dogs ,dog slay and poaching will be the order of the day ,if I went out on the road there would be some partt in a car stuck in front and a another behind me ,then i cant move ,and i would rather be stuck at the farm than on the road ,

Never did we use anything but diesel , petrol in Germany for the Landrovers or 4 tonners , and it got frikin cold , even the 101 mobile Milan just ran on pure fuel , is it really justified to mix fuel , please enlighten me šŸ‘
The army used to have their own spec diesel that would work in a wider range of engines, don't if that's what you had. MT Dieso?

It's more a point for me really to see what junk I can mix up that will run in the winter.
If I can use up and obtain "oil" I will....šŸ˜
Don't want to get stuck out in the land of nowhere so if I can have a list of options in my book then ideal...

As a long time user of veg oil (over 100k miles) DO NOT EVER PUT IT IN A DPA PUMP! All the veg/bio fuels must be run in pumps that are separately oil lubed like the Bosch pumps. In fuel lubed pumps like the DPA the clearances are very fine and the bio part of the fuel oxidizes and sets like paint and glues the parts together. In a DPA this shares the quill shaft if the engines has stood for a few days. There used to be a data base where people reported their veg oil experience and failures. Just about every DPA pump set up ended with a sheared drive.
If you want heated fuel (normal diesel) a lot of French cars have water heated fuel filter units. My Series came with an electrically heated fuel filter, I've never connected it but if we have a very cold winter I'll rig something up. Never seen one anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom