• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Wiring up Td5 cruise control

derbywill

Accelerating Away
Ive finally got round to wiring up the cruise control on my 05 plate 90 and ive got a couple of questions
ive seen on the wiring diagram by BAS on the land rover addict forum it says that there is 12v on pin 35 (Black with White tracer) when the clutch pedal is not pressed but on my ecu it is a earth when the clutch pedal is not pressed there is a brake switch to pin 10 is this just the one that is fitted,
I just want to know that it is negatives being swicthed by the CC switches or should it be positivley switched and somthing is different on my 90
Many thanks
Will

I've got a 2005 TD5 as well and I've just attempted to install cruise control. Pin 35 is also dead on mine, so I used pin 33, which has been referred to in some of the other cruise control posts. The problem is, it doesn't work.

I've checked mine over with my Nanocom and it says my clutch switch is "off" when the clutch is pressed or not, which leads me to believe the clutch switch is nackered. Apparently it is common for them to fail.

According to some other posts, the cruise control function will not work if the clutch switch isn't working, so I'm going to have to get it fixed. I'm just waiting for a reply to my post, to confirm these suspicions. It might be worth checking yours over because you might be in the same boat as me.

Hiya ampo
ive had my nanocom plugged i and that works correctly and cruise control is enabaled maybe someone with a disco wiring diagram will be able to help
My clutch switch isn't dead its just switching a earth not a +12v where as other people say it should be a live +12v
Will

As far as I know (bearing in mind I can't get my cruise control working either) It needs a 12v feed, so that when the cruise control "+" and "-" switches are pressed, pulses are sent to the ecu to tell it what to do.

I've wired mine up to pin 33 as some of the other posts suggest and that's 12v when the ignition is on. I've tested it all with a circuit tester and as far as I can see it should be working. Its just that some posts say that cruise control won't work if there's a problem with the clutch switch, so thats what I'm pinning my hopes on at the moment.

I'm picking a new switch up tomorrow, so when I've fitted it I'll let you know if I get an earth or 12v from it.

What a great idea although there seems to be some problems still with the CC and 5th gear or if an overdrive is fitted. What switches are people using?

Have you had any joy with this yet? Having checked mine again, its switching an earth the same as yours, but I'm wondering if its because of a short circuit somewhere. I've changed the switch, which has had no effect and I've unplugged it altogether and the truck feels no different to drive at all. I've tried tracing the wire behind the instrument binnacle, but its all wrapped in insulation tape and I don't even know where to start.

Hiya Ampo
No i haven't had any success in finding anything out yet, i suspect that it is a switched earth via the clutch switch, and the ECU sees the clutch switch working maybe the later ECU's do switch earth.
Has anyone wired up a later vehicle? and did it work?
Will

I've finally got my cruise control working. Pin 35 inside the black ecu plug was faulty. I replaced it and bingo, it works.

Pin 35 does carry a negative feed, so Land Rover must have changed it at some point. Either that or the instructions telling us to wire the cruise control up to it are wrong.

I used pin 33 instead, which does carry 12v and the cruise control works prefectly. Cuts off when clutch or brake are pressed and everything.

Good! im glad youve sorted it i will ave a look at mine next as im off work (need to use some holidays up! instead of fixing trucks i'll be working on my Defender and my series 1)
So all you used was 3 switches? 1 for cc master on, 1 for set/ accerlerate and 1 for suspend resume?
and being wired through pin 33 as the feed it still cuts off when clutch or brak pedal is depressed? this was what i was worried about if this didn't happen it wasen't very safe!
Will

I used 2 switches. One "on-off" for cc master on and an "on-off-on" momentary rocker switch for the rest.

I've given it a good test run now and it always cuts off when the brake or clutch are pressed.

Hi Ampo
Got mine working today took the feed from pin 33, I haven't used a master CC on/off switch ive put the feed from pin33 to pin 15 with no switch, and installed 2 push buttons on the dash 1 for the suspend/resume function and the other for the set/accelerate bin out on a good run and eveything works correctly ie it cuts out when ether the brake or clutch is pressed so im really pleased! thanks for your help
Will

No problem. Glad we both got there in the end.

I might do the same as you and bin the master switch. I've seen some little round momentary on/off switches on ebay that will look a lot neater than the big hoofing Carling switches I've got at the moment..

Back
Top Bottom