• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Wolf 6 way light switch knob

rich764089

In Fourth Gear
Hi all,

The black knob for the 6 way light switch on my Wolf has broken off (I don't have the broken part). The switch and lights all function fine, but the replacement switches are >£400 and I don't need the whole mechanism/assembly, just the black knob. Does anyone know where I can purchase this at a reasonable price, if at all. I'm all Googled out.

Could this work as an alternative?

Hi all,

The black knob for the 6 way light switch on my Wolf has broken off (I don't have the broken part). The switch and lights all function fine, but the replacement switches are >£400 and I don't need the whole mechanism/assembly, just the black knob. Does anyone know where I can purchase this at a reasonable price, if at all. I'm all Googled out.

Could this work as an alternative?
Mine has broken on my series 3 as well and I've got a bit of the knob left but how on earth does it come off?
I would imagine they are the same is the stalk for yours like a hollow tube about 1/ 2" across?
I was looking at Blanchards as well for the part.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've got a bit left on as well... Haven't quite worked that bit out yet! I have a S3 109 as well so perhaps I should try taking that off and seeing if it fits the Wolf first...
I'll take a look on Blanchard's.

The black knob is held in place by a small pip which is part of the switch, when you get the new knob there should be a small hole in it to enable you to depress the pip to enable removal of the black knob.
As ever the ebay vendor is just taking the P
I found the pin that needs pushing in but the knob us broken on mine leaving a circle of plastic against the metal backing plate. Should this just prise off.....I don't want to destroy it trying to remove it. 20231202_115759.jpg
You can see it if you zoom in the photo.

Looks similar to mine.. Yes I was sightly concerned about breaking it too.

Not sure I'll get round to it for a few weeks, so let me know how you get on!

The great thing about these old landrovers is the amount of manuals available. You can literally build one from the ground up by following the parts book and the workshop manual.....obviously you need a bit of common sense and maybe an aptitude for a few tools (or at least the ability to hold a spanner) .
I bet you could do it as well as anyone else.

If you can find a suitable tool to press the pip into the switch, then the remaining part of the knob should slide off over it.
If you can see the inside diameter of the black collar there should be a groove or channel in it. This enables the knob to slide over the pip when you are fitting the knob.

The great thing about these old landrovers is the amount of manuals available. You can literally build one from the ground up by following the parts book and the workshop manual.....obviously you need a bit of common sense and maybe an aptitude for a few tools (or at least the ability to hold a spanner) .
I bet you could do it as well as anyone else.
Maybe. I tinker and that's as far as it goes!

That has the hole for a lock barrel, which you might not want for a Wolf. Email Charles (The guy who runs Emberton) and he may be able to get one made without the hole. He did one for me in a different colour for £29.50

Or you can get a CNC milled Aluminium one from DDE for just £12. That's a bargain by their usual pricing standards.

I found the pin that needs pushing in but the knob us broken on mine leaving a circle of plastic against the metal backing plate. Should this just prise off.....I don't want to destroy it trying to remove it.View attachment 441541
You can see it if you zoom in the photo

The broken black plastic part you have here is actually part of the switch, not the knob.
The knob fits over that. It's looks like
somebody's tried to prise the knob off with brute force rather than by pressing the release pin
You might be able to rebuild that with some glue, spare plastic and imagination, but a new knob alone will not be enough.

Here's mine with the knob removed and a lock barrel put in. (don't put a lock barrel in, they cannot be removed except by completely tearing the switch apart, & they are not meant to come apart)
the knob release pin is the little metal bit sticking out on the right. Does yours still have this?

FB_IMG_1668620265367~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom