• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

19j engine timing

almacsi

In Third Gear
I have lined up dot on fuel pump and camshaft with respective arrows on casing and set at top dead centre by aligning woodruf on crankshaft with arrow on casing....but this just leads to valves impinging with pistons.
Have tried to to dislodge bolt on top of bell housing next to oil vent out-put hose leading to rockerin order to drill hole in. but this is rounded will not budge. cant find other means of getting TDC.
What am i doing wrong?:confused:

Woodruff key isn't at TDC. There could be a mark on the crankshaft sprocket and there may be a tdc mark on the crankshaft pulley, have you cleaned them up and looked? Other than that, you need to get that plug out and lock the crankshaft, which is guaranteed to be more accurate than the marks anyway. You should also be locking the fuel pump in place as well.

I was given print out by garage of diagram although they said engine was 200tdi landrover mechanic confirmed it was to lined up using the woodruff and not the TDC mark or EPD mark on crankshaft pulley, but mechanic was trying to find someone more senior as he could offer no explanation as to why it should impinge exept to say tahat something was 180 degrees out! Didnt see logic as sprockets on woodruffs. Not sure as about dot on crankshaft sprocket as landrover couple of hours away cant get to it at the moment. Dont think will have any joy getting plug out as access is very restricted and plug toon badly worn.........perhaps may grind and hope nothing falls through.

As an aside only decided to change fuel pump as garage adviised me that pump was resposible for the engine racing up on its on its own almost destroying the engine but ive since discovered that the 19j is famous for doing that as it is oil getting into the air intake through oil breather hose.
Shall I put original pump back in? as two sources seem to conflict?

the timing mark for the crankshaft is a dot on the cog for the belt, and a dot at 12'0 clock on the casing, do not use the woodruff key

Attachments

• timing_belt.jpg
    timing_belt.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,560
just to confirm, woodruff key at 12'0 clock is TDC, this is NOT the timing setting, EP on the pulley is the timing setting

Out of frustration I had already tried at Ep mark too but this also impinged......would it also imping if only 1 or 2 teeth out either way on camshaft?

it might do, one of the valves may be slightly open when a piston reaches the top of the cylinder, the correct timing is vital as the valves sit flush with the face of the cylinder head, set as shown in the pic above and it will be correct

That seems to have done the trick! The dot on the crankshaft done it.

Thanks for al your help:)

Think I should go ahead and put back original diesel pump as i thought and also was given advice that it was the pump was inputing too much fuel....but net info and landrover mechanic(one that gave me bum advice!) said it was oil getting into air filter as it is common problem .??????

yeah, 19J's are renound for clogging the air filter with oil. they breathe heavy fron the rocker cover, the pipe that's on the oil filler cap. pull it off from the air filter and get a longer piece and route it down under the vehicle, thats what most people do. and plug up the hole left in the air filter by the removal of the pipe if your gonna go wading ;)

cheers, Ben

Back
Top Bottom