• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3 2.25 Petrol - Buzzing!

MattyEA

Accelerating Away
How do good folks. I'm having a bit of a funny intermittent issue these last few months. While driving I get a really loud buzzing coming, I think, from the starter motor or at least that general area. It only stops when I isolate the battery. I've managed to stop it it by wiggling the connections to the starter solenoid which suggests to me its trying to pull in the starter. To date there is a new starter solenoid installed and I've had to replace the failed ignition switch and barrel with a 162sa switch and barrel as I was unable to source a new barrel with steering lock and choke. I thought that it may be the wire to the solenoid rubbing through and pulling in the starter so I have run a new wire directly from the ignition switch to the solenoid and it seemed to have sorted the issue for a while but no longer. My next thoughts are replacing the actual ignition switch incase it it shorting out but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or advice in ase the buzzing is something else and its not the solenoid at all. I welcome any suggestions or help! Thanks Matt

If it's petrol engine could the bendix on the starter motor be sticking in the flywheel some times depending on which flywheel teeth it starts on.?
Cheers - possibly - it comes in randomly and sticks but would there be a grating/ geary type noise if it was engaging? I'm showing my ignorance a bit here! Thanks

If it's staying engaged during a journey you have to nip it in the bud, as the starter motor will last approximately 5 minutes before it burns out. šŸ„ŗ
I would have thought a stuck bendix gear would produce a kind of clatter like on a ghost train car?

Just take the small wire off the solenoid and see if it still does it, obviously start the engine first. David
I would do this, but you could also temporarily wire a lamp from the starter circuit and monitor it when driving.
I would also order a replacement starter motor (you will need one sometime...).

...would there be a grating/ geary type noise if it was engaging? I'm showing my ignorance a bit here! Thanks
Yes. Same noise as if you turn the key to engage the starter when the engine is already running (anyone not done that at some point..? o_O )

Starter from about Ā£75 quid and while it can be fiddly is within most peoples abilities to swap.
Flywheel is engine or gearbox out, so yeah much bigger job.
It might be possible to check the ring gear for damage by checking with a torch or endoscope?

If it's staying engaged during a journey you have to nip it in the bud, as the starter motor will last approximately 5 minutes before it burns out. šŸ„ŗ
I would have thought a stuck bendix gear would produce a kind of clatter like on a ghost train car?
Yeah thats my thought too - theres no gear grating noise / just an electrical buzzing. Took kt to and from work today listening for the buzz but typical - nowt!

I would do this, but you could also temporarily wire a lamp from the starter circuit and monitor it when driving.
I would also order a replacement starter motor (you will need one sometime...).

Yes. Same noise as if you turn the key to engage the starter when the engine is already running (anyone not done that at some point..? o_O )
Like the idea of a lamp - i was toying with hooking my fluke up to it but lamp is a better job. Thanks

Starter from about Ā£75 quid and while it can be fiddly is within most peoples abilities to swap.
Flywheel is engine or gearbox out, so yeah much bigger job.
It might be possible to check the ring gear for damage by checking with a torch or endoscope?
Hopefully its ok - starts and fires spot on with no slipping or grating so thats something. I can't think what else would be buzzing down that part of the engine bay. If it does it again I'll try and record it.

Do you remember that old ad where they just about take the car completely to bits trying to find a squeak and it turns out to be the girl's ear ring? David
Lol. I do remember that - I had something previous with a Toledo that kept throwing belts and cutting through the air pipe - I was a nervous wreck driving it right until I heard an awful noise and thought the timing belt had snapped - it was a jackhammer in some roadworks! I find myself gettting paranoid now driving the Land Rover - Evey rattle and squeak sounds new!

Im going to wire a lamp in to the circuit as mikeau suggests and that will give another level of warning till I sort it.

I have a similar buzzing sound when I am driving, very intermittent and only really when accelerating. Definitely sounds electrical. Did the OP find anything wrong with the starter solenoid? There was a spare one in the back of my LR when I bought it so has me wondering

Back
Top Bottom