• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

110 Hard Top Conversion

Big milestone reached today. I've finished fabricating the rear cabin conversion. No more woodwork to do in the back - WooHoo.
So I've got a couple of days of final filling and sanding. Then I can give it a good clean out and seal the woodwork ready for lining.
Got a notification that the edging strips have been dispatched. These will be the finishing touch once I've got the aluminium cut to size and sprayed the right colour.
You can see a bit clearer in this photo how I've built up the bottom of the cable access to make it shallower so that the socket will cover it completely when fitted.
Again, I can access the nuts should the rear quarter light window ever need removal.
IMG_4547.jpeg

Big milestone reached today. I've finished fabricating the rear cabin conversion. No more woodwork to do in the back - WooHoo.
So I've got a couple of days of final filling and sanding. Then I can give it a good clean out and seal the woodwork ready for lining.
Got a notification that the edging strips have been dispatched. These will be the finishing touch once I've got the aluminium cut to size and sprayed the right colour.
You can see a bit clearer in this photo how I've built up the bottom of the cable access to make it shallower so that the socket will cover it completely when fitted.
Again, I can access the nuts should the rear quarter light window ever need removal.
View attachment 527693
Wish I had the skills todo that ,great loving what your doing

The barn door end of the rear cabin finished. Side walls finished. Cabin roof finished.
Final bits to do on the high level unit and a bit of joint sealing to do inside the lockers. Almost there.
Because of the extra depth of the headlining (due to insulation) the bolts on my roof vent wouldn't reach to secure the inner flange to the face of the headlining. I could have put longer bolts in but this would have meant there was a rough area of insulation visible due to the shallow flange. So I secured the flange tight to the roof before the headlining was installed (hope that makes sense). Yesterday a 2nd roof vent arrived. I don't need the vent - just a 2nd inner plastic flange. So all in all a very expensive bit of plastic! With a 2nd flange I can now glue on the liner and fit the flange over for a nice tidy finish. The 2nd flange neatly butts up to the 1st flange.
Here is the original flange recessed above the headlining.
Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 14.09.33.png

Here is the 2nd flange offered up to the headlining. There is a slight colour difference between the two but it butts up and provides a nice tight joint.
IMG_4554.jpeg

I've painted the original white flange satin black. I'll spray the 2nd flange black to match before being fitted using black screws. So I'll end up with a charcoal Veltrim lining with satin black edging. This will match the black sprayed aluminium edging I'm using to finish the trim elsewhere.
IMG_4558.jpeg

Looking forward to lining the cabin this week.

The barn door end of the rear cabin finished. Side walls finished. Cabin roof finished.
Final bits to do on the high level unit and a bit of joint sealing to do inside the lockers. Almost there.
Because of the extra depth of the headlining (due to insulation) the bolts on my roof vent wouldn't reach to secure the inner flange to the face of the headlining. I could have put longer bolts in but this would have meant there was a rough area of insulation visible due to the shallow flange. So I secured the flange tight to the roof before the headlining was installed (hope that makes sense). Yesterday a 2nd roof vent arrived. I don't need the vent - just a 2nd inner plastic flange. So all in all a very expensive bit of plastic! With a 2nd flange I can now glue on the liner and fit the flange over for a nice tidy finish. The 2nd flange neatly butts up to the 1st flange.
Here is the original flange recessed above the headlining.
View attachment 528020
Here is the 2nd flange offered up to the headlining. There is a slight colour difference between the two but it butts up and provides a nice tight joint.
View attachment 528021
I've painted the original white flange satin black. I'll spray the 2nd flange black to match before being fitted using black screws. So I'll end up with a charcoal Veltrim lining with satin black edging. This will match the black sprayed aluminium edging I'm using to finish the trim elsewhere.
View attachment 528022
Looking forward to lining the cabin this week.
That’s a real flange fest of a read 🤣🤣

Indeed. Flanges and butts!
Sandy, reading this and a couple of your other posts yesterday you seem obsessed with butts. Something you want to tell the group? :D
Who doesn't love a good flange fest? 😆
Well ... if you must.

Today I roughed up the plastic surface for a good paint key and primed the FLANGE ready for final spraying. Realised I'd overdone it and had scored the surface. Not a smooth finish in primer. So I'll have to fine sand it back and go again. Next episode tomorrow. Nail biting stuff.
IMG_4563.jpeg

This is one of the back panels which hides the rear light electrics. It will be removable.
Set into it are the switches for the rear Annex and the side Awning lights (I've enough slack in the wiring to be able to remove the access panel without stressing any cables). I got the rear access for the cables cut out today. This panel will be lined to match the walls. The switch is set down low and near the rear door for easy access from outside the vehicle.
IMG_4562.jpeg

Nearside rear cabin is ready for lining. I paint sealed the woodwork up to the front bulkhead storage bins today. You can see where the access panel will fit in this photo.
IMG_4561.jpeg

IMG_4560.jpeg

I'll get the offside finished tomorrow. Then it is the bins and lockers to do and I'll be ready for lining by the end of the week.

Did you weigh the Landy before you started?

Worth doing when you finish, so you'll know what spare you have for load. I know what you've used is pretty lightweight, but from experience round here, the bogeys take great pleasure in telling you you're running overweight. They are always peeved when you prove you're not!

Did you weigh the Landy before you started
Nope. But I will when it is finished.
You're right - the wood fit out is as light as I could get it without using balsa wood or the foam sandwich stuff (worried about strength of fixings and would have had to use a different construction method).
BUT - I have a big water tank fitted, an auxiliary fuel tank to fit, a heavy fridge freezer to go in the back and a roof tent to go on the rack. Plus the usual overland paraphernalia - all going to add up. Things like hi-lift jacks and heavy duty bumpers, rock sliders and winches are not light.

Nope. But I will when it is finished.
You're right - the wood fit out is as light as I could get it without using balsa wood or the foam sandwich stuff (worried about strength of fixings and would have had to use a different construction method).
BUT - I have a big water tank fitted, an auxiliary fuel tank to fit, a heavy fridge freezer to go in the back and a roof tent to go on the rack. Plus the usual overland paraphernalia - all going to add up. Things like hi-lift jacks and heavy duty bumpers, rock sliders and winches are not light.
I had mine at the bridge the other day, and while I've still got about 470kg off the max gross, the front axle is only about 70kg less than the max gross for that axle.. And that's without another passanger and I intend to fit another battery.. 😳
The winches and bumpers give the front a fair boost😩
Do you know what your stated payload would be.. Mine by the logbook would be 1000kg..

Back
Top Bottom