• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

110 Hard Top Conversion

Given up for the day. It's like the black hole of Calcutta in the workshop, roofs leaking with the torrential rain that started again last night and the floor is slippery. Work area is getting dripped on so can't paint parts.
However, I've got the other half of the rear wood sealed. Found a couple of proud areas I hadn't sanded back enough and one hole I'd forgotten to fill. Will sort that tomorrow once the paint has dried.
IMG_4564.jpeg

Notice top left of barn door - the removable panel covering the door hinge is removed here - will be sealed and lined separately.
IMG_4567.jpeg

Just the lockers, storage bins and high level unit to go. So close to being able to do the lining.
IMG_4565.jpeg

Will need to call my upholsterer in soon to discuss and measure up the sofa cushions.

Managed to get a lot done today.
The foot lockers, high level lockers, high level storage bin, rear face, bottom and part of the front face of the high level unit have been final filled, sanded and are ready for sealing tomorrow. Two hours work tomorrow to finish the front face and speaker boxes.
I 'over-sanded' the vent flange a couple of days ago. I've smoothed the flange back today and gave it a 1st top coat today.
All the storage bin shelves and lids have had their 1st coat of paint. I won't bore you with pictures of paint drying :p
My Exmoor Trim gaiters arrived today. Good quality and nicely presented in a cloth bag.
IMG_4573.jpeg

Gearstick gaiter
IMG_4576.jpeg

Handbrake gaiter
IMG_4575.jpeg

Finally found a use for my old cubby box.
IMG_4577.jpeg

The interior of all lockers and storage bins and internal shelving will be white so we can see what's inside. Storage lids and surfaces will be black to compliment the 'decor'.
1st coat on all sides of shelves & lids now completed. Only two more coats to go. A action packed photo of paint drying.
IMG_4580.jpeg

Done it. The rear is ready for Veltrim lining. All wood now sealed and ready. The interior of the two big storage bins will be painted tomorrow. The other 4 lockers and the small storage shelf already have their 1st coat. After the next couple of coats I'll cut and glue down the non-slip rubber floor in each unit.
IMG_4583.jpeg

Storage bin lids and internal shelves given a 2nd coat today. One more coat to go.
Stripped back the light and socket cables - all ready for final fix now.
Mocked up the rear cabin today so the upholsterer could see what he was working with. All measured up and finalised. Going to get the foam cut and 'offered up' to make sure everything fits snuggly before the liner and leather are added. 7-10 days for the foam to arrive. With the foam is in place we'll decide on the mix of plain and diamond pattern leather - want to match the finish in the front cabin without it getting too fussy.
The sink surface is black wood. The two bin lids are black wood. All the white used to seal the wood will be gone - under a charcoal Veltrim liner. Black aluminium edging on wear surfaces. Black rubber fitted mat.
I start on the lining tomorrow.
IMG_4585.jpeg

IMG_4587.jpeg

IMG_4588.jpeg

Big learning curve - first time I've attempting to line a vehicle. Roof headlining first. Decided I would do the rear telephone section, roof, the three faces of the high level unit and part of the front roof lining in one piece. Trying to glue the hard surfaces and the veltrim backing and square up a 2.5m x1.8m sheet without getting the front face gunked up was interesting.
For anyone doing this 1. Watch a couple of vid's first. There are some good ones out there. 2. have lots of blades ready - this stuff blunts them really quick. 3. remember there is a front and a back face to this fabric 4. protect other surfaces from the spray adhesive - it can be a bitch to get off.
Here is the lining first fix to the telephone section above the rear door and first few inches of the roof.
IMG_4589.jpeg

Bit more of the roof done and one of the rear lights cut out to pull cable through. Smoothing from the centre out as I go.
IMG_4590.jpeg

Almost up to the high level unit. Smoothing the fabric across the roof and starting to wrap it down the side roof radius to the roof/wall gutter.
IMG_4591.jpeg

Reached the high lockers at the front. Sides smoothed around the radius and just final spray adhesive and trimming to do on the sides.
IMG_4593.jpeg

Cutting around the roof vent
IMG_4592.jpeg

Rear face of the high level unit is covered. Fabric just hanging down from the bottom edge. Fabric trimmed and glued into the offside gutter joint. Nearside still to do. Rough cut holes for the lockers and shelf.
Got a bit carried away at this point and took a break from the lining. Fitted the rear lamp plinth. Ready for final wiring and face plate to be fitted. Also glued in the ventilation flange. The plywood is wedged in place to make sure the flange is perfectly flat against the veltrim.
IMG_4595.jpeg

Ended up with too much fabric at the corners - took me a while to work out the best way of dealing with these.
IMG_4596.jpeg

My first corner. Worked out OK in the end. You can see the finished radius and fabric trimmed at the gutter joint in this photo.
IMG_4599.jpeg

Both sides trimmed. High shelf and Lockers edges trimmed. Quite a bit of 'fluff' visible here. Will deal with that tomorrow. The walls of the recessed centre shelf will be lined tomorrow. As mentioned before, the edges of the lockers is going to be trimmed in black aluminium.
IMG_4601.jpeg

Next up was bringing the fabric into the front cabin. Here the underside of the high level unit is lined up to the front edge.
IMG_4602.jpeg

Front face detail - cut out for the speaker and some awkward angles to wrap around.
IMG_4603.jpeg

Front face lining finished. Cut outs all done. Front roof lined up to the lateral strut where the front headlining will meet it.
IMG_4604.jpeg

Roof vent flange glued in place. 4 empty countersunk holes at the moment (can't use screws as the screw holes are 'inside' where the plywood edge finishes). Will put black dummy screws in these to make it look right.
IMG_4609.jpeg

Tomorrow I'll deal with trimming the telephone section at the rear and returning the veltrim to the door lip. When the rubbers are pushed over the lip this will give me a nice clean professional edge to the lining.

Last edited:
Big learning curve - first time I've attempting to line a vehicle. Roof headlining first. Decided I would do the rear telephone section, roof, the three faces of the high level unit and part of the front roof lining in one piece. Trying to glue the hard surfaces and the veltrim backing and square up a 2.5m x1.8m sheet without getting the front face gunked up was interesting.
For anyone doing this 1. Watch a couple of vid's first. There are some good ones out there. 2. have lots of blades ready - this stuff blunts them really quick. 3. remember there is a front and a back face to this fabric 4. protect other surfaces from the spray adhesive - it can be a bitch to get off.
Here is the lining first fix to the telephone section above the rear door and first few inches of the roof.
View attachment 528898
Bit more of the roof done and one of the rear lights cut out to pull cable through. Smoothing from the centre out as I go.
View attachment 528899
Almost up to the high level unit. Smoothing the fabric across the roof and starting to wrap it down the side roof radius to the roof/wall gutter.
View attachment 528900
Reached the high lockers at the front. Sides smoothed around the radius and just final spray adhesive and trimming to do on the sides.
View attachment 528902
View attachment 528942
Rear face of the high level unit is covered. Fabric just hanging down from the bottom edge. Fabric trimmed and glued into the offside gutter joint. Nearside still to do. Rough cut holes for the lockers and shelf.
Got a bit carried away at this point and took a break from the lining. Fitted the rear lamp plinth. Ready for final wiring and face plate to be fitted. Also glued in the ventilation flange. The plywood is wedged in place to make sure the flange is perfectly flat against the veltrim.
View attachment 528908
Ended up with too much fabric at the corners - took me a while to work out the best way of dealing with these.
View attachment 528909
My first corner. Worked out OK in the end. You can see the finished radius and fabric trimmed at the gutter joint in this photo.
View attachment 528910
Both sides trimmed. High shelf and Lockers edges trimmed. Quite a bit of 'fluff' visible here. Will deal with that tomorrow. The walls of the recessed centre shelf will be lined tomorrow. As mentioned before, the edges of the lockers is going to be trimmed in black aluminium.
View attachment 528911
Next up was bringing the fabric into the front cabin. Here the underside of the high level unit is lined up to the front edge.
View attachment 528912
Front face detail - cut out for the speaker and some awkward angles to wrap around.
View attachment 528925
Front face lining finished. Cut outs all done. Front roof lined up to the lateral strut where the front headlining will meet it.
View attachment 528926
Roof vent flange glued in place. 4 empty countersunk holes at the moment (can't use screws as the screw holes are 'inside' where the plywood edge finishes). Will put black dummy screws in these to make it look right.View attachment 528940
Tomorrow I'll deal with trimming the telephone section at the rear and returning the veltrim to the door lip. When the rubbers are pushed over the lip this will give me a nice clean professional edge to the lining.
We mentioned blades a good while back👍🤣.. You go through them at a good old rate..
I had a look back.. I think it was post 168 of this threa

View attachment 528898
View attachment 528899
View attachment 528900
View attachment 528902
View attachment 528942
View attachment 528908
View attachment 528909
View attachment 528910
View attachment 528911
View attachment 528912
View attachment 528925
View attachment 528926
Roof vent flange glued in place. 4 empty countersunk holes at the moment (can't use screws as the screw holes are 'inside' where the plywood edge finishes). Will put black dummy screws in these to make it look right.View attachment 528940
Excellent job ..👍

Finished the rear cab roof lining today. Completed lining the telephone section and wrapped it under and back to the top of the quarter light windows. Returned the lining to the door rim - as mentioned will be covered by the rubber door seal. Also into the recess between windows and side wall - PITA.
IMG_4612.jpeg

The other side is slightly different due to the removable section to access the top door hinge.
IMG_4613.jpeg

The middle shelf is lined now. You can see the join at each side. Not fussed about this - will be covered by an aluminium edge.
IMG_4614.jpeg

Fitted the sunglass cases to the front face of the high level unit as well. Perhaps a bit previous but it's nice to get something off the racking and fitted to the vehicle.
These are Volvo cases. I had to adapt them slightly as they were designed to slot into a recess in Volvo bodywork. I cut the location tabs off the back so they would fit flush and they are held in place with nyloc nuts and bolts. Easily accessible from the front seats and uses what would otherwise be wasted space.
IMG_4610.jpeg

I'll be working on lockers tomorrow and doing some gap sealing around windows ready for lining the walls. Also need to start thinking about fitting the LED strips in the rear.

@SeriesG - I'll bet that stuff does a heck of a job of absorbing sound too.

Yes - I can tell the difference already and I've only done the roof. Inside noise has that 'dead' quality with sound being absorbed.

I've done long trips in three uninsulated Hard Top Defenders. Ears were neigh on bleeding by the end of each journey. I was determined this vehicle, which will be used for extended touring, was going to be bearable. I'd like to be able to hold a conversation and listen to my music.

If you've followed the thread you'll know I'm quite obsessed with sound insulation. Veltrim is the final layer. I've covered this before but for anyone interested who hasn't followed - from the 'outside in' this is what I'm doing:

1. New paint job
2. Vehicle body
3. Foam filled every internal strut
4. Silkaflex sealed every seam, joint and cable entry point (also sealed the external 'wall to tub waist' and 'roof to wall' joints to help prevent water, dust and noise ingress)
5. Silent Coat foil backed bitumen sound deadening mat to roof, walls, floor and struts (front and rear cabins), including inside both seat box compartments (plus closed cell foam to underside of the lids and 'seat box to lid' seals)
6. Silkafex sealed all joints again
7. Acoustic Foam to roof and walls in both cabins
8. Silkafex sealed all joints again
9. 5mm flexi-ply to rear roof and 12mm ply to rear walls and side box sections
10. Foam filled all voids behind the ply - roof and walls
11. Paint sealed all internal wood
12. Veltrim lined the rear cabin (not finished)
13. Sound absorbing non-slip rubber matting to rear cabin floor and locker, shelf and storage bin floors
14. Sofa cushions will be leather (currently being made)
15. Most equipment items will be stored in pre-cut foam inserts to stop stuff sliding around and rattling.
16. Front cab only up to No 8 at the moment - will be a mixture of sound mat/acoustic foam/Silkaflex on the bulkhead, footwells and floor. The rest will be ply, veltrim lined, leather trim (seats, door cards and dash), thick carpet, rubber over-mats. The front cab headlining is a bought in, GRP, one-piece unit and suede lined.
17 Doors are also fully insulated - Silkaflex, Silent Coat mat and either acoustic foam or closed cell foam where it will fit
18. All new door and window rubbers
19. The rear cabin floor is new and is bedded on rubber pads and silicon to isolate it
20. Still got to address the bonnet, engine compartment and transmission tunnel insulation
21. Will be altering gear ratios when I get around to it for a more relaxed cruise and I've fitted 80% road bias tyres on alloys to reduce noise (got some steel rims which will have KO2's for more serious overloading)

There is no bright metal visible in the car apart from a tiny bit on the A pillars. If you tap the outside bodywork there is no tinny rattle now. The bodywork feels solid. No voids or cold surfaces for condensation, or resonance, or vibration. I think this is as quiet as its going to get.

Yes - I can tell the difference already and I've only done the roof. Inside noise has that 'dead' quality with sound being absorbed.

I've done long trips in three uninsulated Hard Top Defenders. Ears were neigh on bleeding by the end of each journey. I was determined this vehicle, which will be used for extended touring, was going to be bearable. I'd like to be able to hold a conversation and listen to my music.

If you've followed the thread you'll know I'm quite obsessed with sound insulation. Veltrim is the final layer. I've covered this before but for anyone interested who hasn't followed - from the 'outside in' this is what I'm doing:

1. New paint job
2. Vehicle body
4. Silkaflex sealed every seam, joint and cable entry point (also sealed the external 'wall to tub waist' and 'roof to wall' joints to help prevent water, dust and noise ingress)
5. Silent Coat foil backed bitumen sound deadening mat to roof, walls, floor and struts (front and rear cabins), including inside both seat box compartments (plus closed cell foam to underside of the lids and 'seat box to lid' seals)
13. Sound absorbing non-slip rubber matting to rear cabin floor and locker, shelf and storage bin floors
15. Most equipment items will be stored in pre-cut foam inserts to stop stuff sliding around and rattling.
16. Front cab only up to No 8 at the moment - will be a mixture of sound mat/acoustic foam/Silkaflex on the bulkhead, footwells and floor. The rest will be ply, veltrim lined, leather trim (seats, door cards and dash), thick carpet, rubber over-mats. The front cab headlining is a bought in, GRP, one-piece unit and suede lined.
17 Doors are also fully insulated - Silkaflex, Silent Coat mat and either acoustic foam or closed cell foam where it will fit
19. The rear cabin floor is new and is bedded on rubber pads and silicon to isolate it
20. Still got to address the bonnet, engine compartment and transmission tunnel insulation
21. Will be altering gear ratios when I get around to it for a more relaxed cruise and I've fitted 80% road bias tyres on alloys to reduce noise (got some steel rims which will have KO2's for more serious overloading)

There is no bright metal visible in the car apart from a tiny bit on the A pillars. If you tap the outside bodywork there is no tinny rattle now. The bodywork feels solid. No voids or cold surfaces for condensation, or resonance, or vibration. I think this is as quiet as its going to get.
Great work ,perfection

I can’t begin to think what you would call mine if you drove it ..it wouldn’t be kind words 🤭

1. New paint job
2. Vehicle body

Back
Top Bottom