• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1951 LR; missing presumed appropriated (taken in other words).

If you have his address as implied on Wednesday (you couldn't go to see the vehicle in 2 weeks time without an address) the go now (with a trailer and some assistance). If not then you need to start looking now (2 weeks is long enough time to spirit the vehicle off to another location).
Police search (waste of time - never happen)
Look at Voters Rolls for his address
Talk to Bute garages and suppliers - he will have contacts within the trades
Internet searches
Social Media (either an appeal for information or perhaps an appeal for a long lost trusted mechanic who did some work on your car and you'd like to get back in touch for him to do some more) - Instagram, X (Twitter), Facebook
ALL of the Landy sites. Someone will know him. Someone will know where your car is. Name and shame him everywhere.
Someone told him about your post on here - REMEMBER he is reading this lot now - either as a guest or member. If another member gave him the heads up perhaps that person would like to point you in the right direction?
Don't faff about for two weeks - you know you cannot trust this guy - act now to collect your possessions if you know the address - or start looking - don't give him time to hide it again.
When you eventually go round ..... 1) arrange for the Police to be there to 'keep the peace' V5 in hand as proof of ownership and take back your possessions (if the Police will let you onto his property if entry refused - bear in mind more interested in keeping the peace rather than recovering stolen property (is it theft with a contract, however weak?), or 2) start a court action to recover the goods and arrange for bailiff/sheriff to recover the parts, 3) you and some mates (only there to help you load the trailer aren't they) turn up with a trailer and get all your stuff in one visit.
I don't feel like we have the full facts here but if genuine you need to make this guys life a misery until he returns all your possessions. Meekly turning up in a couple of weeks and asking to see what's left of your car isn't going to work - 19 years proves that.

Hi Cliff; Yes and Yes!!

I have seen this photo in my searches - but of course its a bit old (2009). Since then he has lived, or had his workshop, in Minehead and on Exmoor, amongst other places. The latter is where I last saw FJT. In fact, I now have an address and have google-earthed it. It shows a pink LR in the garden, which looks very similar to the one in the photo you linked.

We are going to drive over to take a look before the date he has given and see what the place looks like. In particular, we will see if the hosue has a workshop that could be sensibly used to store, and restore, my vehicle. Just getting the plans together - though our car has just had an adblue pump-failure so we are waiting for that to be returned from the garage.

Moral: don't buy a car with adblue.

But thanks for taking the tine to search and find the pink LR, Cliff: I'm very grateful for your support.

Well - the story continues. I have just been down to look at FJT 959 and is is a rather sad-looking chassis with the rear body sitting on top, under a rather manky bit of plastic sheeting, in a garden full of builder's rubble in Bude. I have checked various emails going back to 2010 in which I was assured it was only a few months away from being on the road and ready to be MOT'd!! My son went down with me and witnessed Andrew Camneron's statement that it would be ready as a rolling chassis by the end of November - at which point we will get it back here. We then have to extract the rest of the parts such as engines and gearbox etc. from his other place in Minehead. It's a sad state of affairs, but my son is keen to work on it so that it "stays in the family" (my father bought it some 55 years ago). Andrew Cameron was undoubtedly a mover and sahker in the world of oldre Land Rovers - but I think he would be the first to admit that life has moved on. Part of me feels sorry for him - but another part says that he has not been totally straighforward in the way he has responded to my inquiries over the years. Sadly, the dog-eat-dog modern world makes it harder for me to overlook the fact that I paid him to restore my Land Rover some 15 - 20 years ago, which he has singularly failed to do.
I am now going to sell my 90 300tdi to make space here so we can get the old wagon back and under cover. Anyone wanting to buy a 90 station wagon with a galvanised chassis - let me know!!

Don’t know the legality of getting money back that you have paid unless it’s in writing maybe ? but count your blessings that the land rover is still there albeit engine and box somewhere else ..seems strange that he’s gone to the trouble of putting the running gear elsewhere…time to wipe your mouth i guess get all the bits together and start building it .

@Woodwind sounds like you have a plan and a way forward - might not be the outcome you wanted but it's an outcome and anything that involves a father and son and keeping it in the family is a bonus!

Get some pics of your 90 and post it in the fore sale section. Include as much info as you can. I'd be very interested but I doubt I have enough cash spare right now.

I would say thats good news,
Theres plenty of time over the winter for sourcing the bits and pieces and doing the welding/painting ready for a springtime build up,
Just get it all in one place under your control asap,
Good luck and all the best,

So these last two posts should do the trick. Will take some photos later today as long as the sun is out. Not sure what a half-decent 90 300tdi is worth these days. Partly-rebuilt engine, galvanised chassis, good body and paintwork - even got heated seats and windscreen ! Dinitrolled, Lanoguarded and Waxoyld to boot. But you could easily still spend a couple of thousand on her as there are the usual rust-spots and patches. Anyway - will get it posted in the next few days.

Well - the story continues. I have just been down to look at FJT 959 and is is a rather sad-looking chassis with the rear body sitting on top, under a rather manky bit of plastic sheeting, in a garden full of builder's rubble in Bude. I have checked various emails going back to 2010 in which I was assured it was only a few months away from being on the road and ready to be MOT'd!! My son went down with me and witnessed Andrew Camneron's statement that it would be ready as a rolling chassis by the end of November - at which point we will get it back here. We then have to extract the rest of the parts such as engines and gearbox etc. from his other place in Minehead. It's a sad state of affairs, but my son is keen to work on it so that it "stays in the family" (my father bought it some 55 years ago). Andrew Cameron was undoubtedly a mover and sahker in the world of oldre Land Rovers - but I think he would be the first to admit that life has moved on. Part of me feels sorry for him - but another part says that he has not been totally straighforward in the way he has responded to my inquiries over the years. Sadly, the dog-eat-dog modern world makes it harder for me to overlook the fact that I paid him to restore my Land Rover some 15 - 20 years ago, which he has singularly failed to do.
I am now going to sell my 90 300tdi to make space here so we can get the old wagon back and under cover. Anyone wanting to buy a 90 station wagon with a galvanised chassis - let me know!!
Well a rather positive outcome .. you get it back all ready stripped.. and you and your son rebuild from scratch.. get the rolling chassis back .. and then make a list of the parts that should be at the other place .. If the person who has had it for the last many years ..used to be good in the game with old land rovers .. then he owes you many favours when it comes to sourcing parts for your landie... and advice.. It has been a rather costly experience.. but the experience and joy you will get from rebuilding your fathers and your son his grandfathers vehicle together... will hopefully well out way the lost money .... at the time you would not have rebuilt it yourself ..but now you can and even have a son who can help you ... life works out funny some times .. ehh..

A quick update on FJT in Bude. We are about to ask for confirmation that all the rubbish that is currently blocking access (and also stopping some light-fingered type from taking it for themselves), is clear so we can take a trailer down and load the rolling chassis (assuming it is actually rolling), together with a landrover's worth of bits and pieces . Will let you know how it goes!

Yes - but only a step it seems. I am still trying to track down the location of all the other bits and pieces as mentioned in my post of 29th dec last year. Very very frustrating as I wanted to start on the old girl (she is a few years older than me!!) with a view to having her ready by the end of the summer for a spot of gentle motoring or shows etc.

Back
Top Bottom