• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1994 Trial Land Rover Wolf

harry12345

In Third Gear
Hi all,
A while ago I purchased a 1994 land rover wolf, I thought it was a really nice purchase, until I got some stuff back after I made a request to the MOD using whatdotheyknow.com and came back as a 'trial'.
I'm not fully sure what that means but after some digging, the land rover wolfs only got delivered until 1996? Is this true?
So I'm a bit stumped whether this is a sort of pre-production testing model, was looking for someone who knew what they were talking about as google has not really helped me.
I understand DERA Chertsey is a testing facility but not sure where it went after that. Any help would be greatly apprecieated
Attatched below is the documents I recieved from them, I have got a few service records but they are a bit useless.
Thanks
Harry

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-05 212546.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 212546.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 46
Hi @harry12345 .dont know if you have tried but put Defender Wolf in the search up the top .it comes up with a good selection of topics that may be some use to you ..there’s quite a few in here .👍
Hi all,
A while ago I purchased a 1994 land rover wolf, I thought it was a really nice purchase, until I got some stuff back after I made a request to the MOD using whatdotheyknow.com and came back as a 'trial'.
I'm not fully sure what that means but after some digging, the land rover wolfs only got delivered until 1996? Is this true?
So I'm a bit stumped whether this is a sort of pre-production testing model, was looking for someone who knew what they were talking about as google has not really helped me.
I understand DERA Chertsey is a testing facility but not sure where it went after that. Any help would be greatly apprecieated
Attatched below is the documents I recieved from them, I have got a few service records but they are a bit useless.
Thanks
Harry

Hi Paul, I've had a look around the site and can't manage to find anything about a Defender Wolf around this time period. Thank you for the help though!
Interesting 🤔 when you can put a couple of pictures up inside and out be nice to see it ..I shall have a dig about see what I can find .
Does this have 24 v electrics …

Interesting 🤔 when you can put a couple of pictures up inside and out be nice to see it ..I shall have a dig about see what I can find .
Does this have 24 v electrics …
Hi paul, I'm currently away but looking through my camera roll, I have got a video of the inside, and a few photos of the outside, if there is any certain angles you need, let me know.
I've uploaded the photos to imgur with these links.
I believe it has 24v electrics, underneath the passenger seat it has two random batteries. And a wierd pinout at the back.

Hi paul, I'm currently away but looking through my camera roll, I have got a video of the inside, and a few photos of the outside, if there is any certain angles you need, let me know.
I've uploaded the photos to imgur with these links.
I believe it has 24v electrics, underneath the passenger seat it has two random batteries. And a wierd pinout at the back.
Looks cool thankyou …

Could try these …..or Dunsfold Land Rover .View attachment 445681 They have 1994 prototype .
Hi, ive got the ERM and NATO stock number ect but It does not really give me much information. For the dunsfold they have got a 1994 hard top which they class as a prototype while ours is a soft top, I am not sure if ours is to disimilar to theirs, as it was most likely sent out in the same 'prototype batch' per say. Which they class as one of the oldest surviving prototypes.
So i am not too sure.

Hi, ive got the ERM and NATO stock number ect but It does not really give me much information. For the dunsfold they have got a 1994 hard top which they class as a prototype while ours is a soft top, I am not sure if ours is to disimilar to theirs, as it was most likely sent out in the same 'prototype batch' per say. Which they class as one of the oldest surviving prototypes.
So i am not too sure.
Interesting one that .must be someone you can talk to I will have a look .my nieces husband is ex army and worked on land rovers maybe he knows something or knows someone-that would know i shall ask him .will let you know .

Interesting, especially comparing the VIN numbers of yours (SALLDHAF7MA951188) and the Dunsfold one (SALLDHAF7MA960411)...
I would give them a call...
Hi, I've sent them an email, still trying to find anything about it is incredibly hard as I can't find a 1994 or 95' Wolf anywhere, thank you for your help.

Salldhaf7MA
Places it as a 1995 model. Though it may well have been built during 1994 I bought a new 110 in March of 1994 and the VIN was salldhaf7MA940XXX
The WOLF fleet was in service by 1997 it had to be in service by a specific date because of looming emissions regulations that the 300tdi did not meet.
I don't know if it is still the case but there was a trace section in the factory which might be able to give you more information. Failing that maybe you could ask BMIHT at Gaydon if you could look at the relevant archive.

Salldhaf7MA
Places it as a 1995 model. Though it may well have been built during 1994 I bought a new 110 in March of 1994 and the VIN was salldhaf7MA940XXX
The WOLF fleet was in service by 1997 it had to be in service by a specific date because of looming emissions regulations that the 300tdi did not meet.
I don't know if it is still the case but there was a trace section in the factory which might be able to give you more information. Failing that maybe you could ask BMIHT at Gaydon if you could look at the relevant archive.
Hi, I'll have a look, as the Dunsfold land rover also has a very similar VIN while that is also remained a 1994, so I'm not fully sure. Everything is a bit confusing to be honest haha.

I have the Wolf Trials Vehicle Operating Information dated March 1993. It is a Land Rover publication masquerading as an AESP. The two most obvious features that differ from production Wolf is the rear wheel on the tailgate & although they were all 24v, FFR versions had the large 90A alternator that was used in 12/24v FFR Defenders.

To accommodate this large alternator a raised area had to be moulded into the bonnet. This was later abandoned when the idea was introduced to have both alternators rated at 45A. One alternator for the vehicle & one alternator for the radio batteries could help each other out if the electrical demands in either circuit was too great for a single alternator.

The next Operating Information I have is November 1994. Again masquerading as an AESP with the reference 1990-S-3046-69/88 which does not conform to the structuring system of AESPs & was again a Land Rover publication not an Army publication.

Equipment Management Policy Directive No.552 Issue 1 Dated 20 Dec 1996 gives the in service date for TUL & TUM as March 1997 with a planned life of 15 years subject to review. The last I heard was that it had been extended to 2030.

I have the Wolf Trials Vehicle Operating Information dated March 1993. It is a Land Rover publication masquerading as an AESP. The two most obvious features that differ from production Wolf is the rear wheel on the tailgate & although they were all 24v, FFR versions had the large 90A alternator that was used in 12/24v FFR Defenders.

To accommodate this large alternator a raised area had to be moulded into the bonnet. This was later abandoned when the idea was introduced to have both alternators rated at 45A. One alternator for the vehicle & one alternator for the radio batteries could help each other out if the electrical demands in either circuit was too great for a single alternator.

The next Operating Information I have is November 1994. Again masquerading as an AESP with the reference 1990-S-3046-69/88 which does not conform to the structuring system of AESPs & was again a Land Rover publication not an Army publication.

Equipment Management Policy Directive No.552 Issue 1 Dated 20 Dec 1996 gives the in service date for TUL & TUM as March 1997 with a planned life of 15 years subject to review. The last I heard was that it had been extended to 2030.
Hi, I do not believe ours is an FFR, although when we bought it, it did come with a rear mounted spare wheel with the bracket, furthermore I don't know if this helps but the nomenclature label which is supposed to be underneath the driver's side seat is not there and there is nothing there indicating that something was ever there.
I'll have a look later when I get home to see if there is a larger 90a alternator rather than two 45a.
So do you believe this may be a trial land rover?
Thanks
Harry

Harry I have no doubt from the documentation that yours was a trials vehicle although that is a little later than the documents I have. I suspect the publications I have relate to trials by Land Rover, what your vehicle history suggests it was a vehicle used for acceptance trials by the MOD.

If yours is GS there will only be the single vehicle alternator.

Harry I have no doubt from the documentation that yours was a trials vehicle although that is a little later than the documents I have. I suspect the publications I have relate to trials by Land Rover, what your vehicle history suggests it was a vehicle used for acceptance trials by the MOD.

If yours is GS there will only be the single vehicle alternator.
Hi, thank you for your help I really appreciate it, I'm currently still having a look at a part of the Dunsfold collection as they still label there 1994 land rover which was manufactered later than mine is classes as 'prototype'. I'm not fully sure of the timeline in events and I will definitely have a look at the alternator when I get back tommorow.
Thanks
Harry

Sorry that is misleading, it is TUL & TUM but not TUL/TUM (HD) that comes of me posting late at night. Although it seems rather late in the career of TUL & TUM to publish this handbook.

From an old FOI I have a database of all Rovers on MERLIN giving quantities by NSN, Asset Code etc & searchable by ERM even if there is only one of that type. Oddly yours doesn't appear although it does on the main MERLIN archives but there are no similar Rovers that I can see from around that time. So yours is quite a rarity.

Incidentally this is the raised bonnet of the early type FFR with 90A alternator that was rather too large to be practical.

Dscf2181ab.jpg

Sorry that is misleading, it is TUL & TUM but not TUL/TUM (HD) that comes of me posting late at night. Although it seems rather late in the career of TUL & TUM to publish this handbook.

From an old FOI I have a database of all Rovers on MERLIN giving quantities by NSN, Asset Code etc & searchable by ERM even if there is only one of that type. Oddly yours doesn't appear although it does on the main MERLIN archives but there are no similar Rovers that I can see from around that time. So yours is quite a rarity.

Incidentally this is the raised bonnet of the early type FFR with 90A alternator that was rather too large to be practical.

View attachment 445924
If possible, do you have screenshots or photographs as I would like to document this? If not that's fine, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Harry

Back
Top Bottom