• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Diesel Engines 2 Stroke Oil in Diesel

110 John

Offroader
2 Stroke Oil in Diesel read about this seems to make the engine run quieter so quieter in the cabin , reduces emissions, cleans the DPF cleans and lubricates injectors and fuel pump, increases engine life increases Torque the mix ratio 1:200 so thats 250ml for a 15 gallon tank any body do this

i use 2 stroke oil too. i dont measure it though, £10 or £20 fill up i just squirt a bit in from the bottle.

i dont tend to use it in the summer though, i only really use it in the winter

Dose anyone have any criticism of using 2stroke oil??

I tried it once in my Fiesta diesel, (I found an old bottle of TT oil knocking around), I reckon the car ran better, smoother... I was pleased but then I remembered that my car has a cat fitted so I thought I'd better not do it again for the sake of that lousy cat, they don't like oil... Why would they fit a cat on a diesel, the idiots?? My Land Rover however... I must remember to look out for some cheap TT oil.

Well all I can say is Ive just started using it and got to say very impressed engine quieter and runs more powerfull and smoother

Well all I can say is Ive just started using it and got to say very impressed engine quieter and runs more powerfull and smoother

Is that a tdci John??
I have just tried it in our van, low ash comma 2stroke oil at 200/1. It's not made a lot of difference, I think it might be fractionally smoother with a bit less knock.
It's a diesel 2.5litre N/A Mitsubishi L300 van with 238,000miles on it, it runs fairly smoothly anyway but I think there is a slight difference in noise and response but its so minimal that its hard to say if its placebo at this stage.

Well I was trailing it in the van but unfortunately it was stolen a week ago just after the fuel tank had been filled! I never got round to collecting data on MPG but it seemed better, the fuel consumption varied a lot on that vehicle depending on temperature and the ambient temperature has come up so its hard to say if it was an improvement made by2stroke.
Anyway, I decided to trial it in my 300tdi discovery next- its a Non EDC 300tdi with manual transmission, No EGR or Catalyst.

The results from the 300tdi on 2stroke added at 200/1 are good. The MPG figures for the Discovery are very consistent, I monitor the mileage I get from a tank of fuel and all year round I get between 400 and 430miles from a tank before the light comes on. It has currently done 392miles since the last fill up, I always brim the tank. Normally the fuel gauge would be hanging on Empty by now but it is currently sitting just above 1/4 so there seems to be a good improvement measured in MPG- I will calculate the MPG when I fill up, normally its around 27- 28MPG.
I would say there are some slight performance improvements with the 2stroke added purely on low end grunt allowing me to hang onto gears for longer, it seems to cruise along with lighter throttle as well. Both seem to correlate quite well with reduced fuel consumption. The only other thing have noticed is that the engine seems to start better, it starts instantly anyway but its just a bit better. Its hard to say if it is running any quieter as my hearing is not great.

I have also added 2stroke to the fuel in both of my old tractors (both pre 1960 diesels) One was intermittently suffering with a sticking injector which makes it knock and smoke. It has not done that since I have added 2stoke to the diesel. I will at some point have the fuel pump & injectors serviced but its only a hobby machine and I don't spend a lot on it if I can avoid it- it has to wait its turn.
Both tractors seem to be running nicely on the 2stroke mix, both have basic CAV inline piston type fuel injection pumps.

I will feed back more information as it unfolds.
Can anyone explain Why 2stroke oil seems to have positive effects on diesel performance? How can it make the fuel burn better??
Tom

Looks like it increases combustability hence cleaner quieter giving more torque and saving fuel so more MPG in other words fantastic

Less the cost of the two stroke oil of course - last lot I bought seemed expensive but it was a small bottle for the chainsaw, maybe in bigger quantities .

Yes I think I paid about the same for 1/2 a litre of the stuff for the chainsaw / strimmer etc. I always buy good oil for the little engines which tends to be expensive and whether it makes a scrap of difference I wouldn't like to say. They always start first pull on good oil and a few pulls on cheap stuff so there is a difference. I still have a Dolmar 18" which has worked hard for about 14 years and is so clean when I service it I'm not going to risk changing to cheap oil to find out ;)

Well there are one or two at Shell and BP etc ;)

Maybe that's the mystery of V-Power solved - a bloke at Stanlow throws a bucket of two stroke into the tanker and puts a different sticker on the pump?

From the RAC site

try adding 2 stroke oil to the diesel. ratio of 1;200 Our Fiesta TDCi will return 68+mpg and runs smoother & quieter & more pull down low. It also reduces emissions FACT !
A German car manufacturer has carried out this test to try & reduce pump and injector failures due to low sulphur fuel & also discovered that the emissions reduce by around 50% and the engine runs a lot cleaner due to more complete combustion ! Low ash 2 stroke can be purchased for vehicles fitted with DPF's
You really should investigate it as the effect is quite considerable & you will find plenty of information on forums on this subject. Many users already *** TS0 with good results

Effects of 2t oil added to diesel cars.

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negative impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with Teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphur contained) diesel.
The engine-research centre of a well-known German car manufacturer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.
The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!
BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homeopathic doses of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.
Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burns cleaner as the diesel itself.
In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clog, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.
More information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongst others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.
The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the mileage by 3-5%.

Back
Top Bottom