• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Diesel Engines 2 Stroke Oil in Diesel

I've decided to give it a try again, filled up my Fiesta yesterday and added 200ml of Comma oil. I always work out what my car has done to the gallon after every fill-up so this should be interesting...
I was wondering about Redex instead of two stroke oil, I should think it would have a similar effect.

Its probably a very similar product!

I add 5ml of oil to every 1000ml of diesel.

That was one reason I asked if anyone with an EGT gauge had tried this.

Of course as you know, raising the temperature isnt a bad thing but exceeding safe limits is.

I did think about a noise measurement today but decided against it.

Combustion temperature , if too high can crack pistons in the old 19j's , I suppose it depends on how hot it gets and what the tolerances of the engine are.

On the noise side, I have just downloaded an app on my iPhone that measures sound levels. I have a full tank of diesel right now, so I'll do sound checks while I run this tank dry, and then do more sound checks after I fill up. I'll post results here.

It's very unscientific, but I'll try to keep all measurements as similar as possible. All windows closed, phone in same place for all measurements, same speed and gear etc.

I suspect that actually EGT readings could be fractionally lower with the 2stroke added. Engine running at lower rpm with a lighter throttle setting will probably reduce temperatures in the combustion chambers. My 300tdi has original factory settings on the fuel pump and waste gate actuator and driven gently dose not generate much heat.
I blanked off the EGR valve with a 6mm brushed stainless plate years ago, drove for months and it looked the same as the day I fitted it- thrashed the hell out of it to the West Country & back and the nice brushed stainless was blue & purple when I got back! Just demonstrates how the heat builds up when flat out.
With regard to the 19j burning out pistons & exhaust valves.
The 19j is one of the worst engines land rover ever used, only to be beaten by the K Series I think, only the K series was impressive with the amount of power it can make for its capacity. I can't think of anything good to say about the 19j, it was a wrong'en and wants chucking on the iron heap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so just to think about the first bit of that post for a minute.

if the vehicle is being driven at the same pace and acceleration as your previous 80K miles then the 'work done' is the same

fuel in litres per km is proving to be 'less' (more regulator being used and increase from 430 miles to 520 miles per tank)

therefore more energy per litre is being extracted from the fuel.

Combustion is cooler or hotter ?

What if you used the same regulation as before - would you expect more power? If so what would you expect the combustion temperature to be ?

Then the in built scepticism here kicks in again :) leading me to was wonder why the big RHA operators don't do this ( maybe they do ) as that kind of improvement would have a massive effect on their profit margin.

I think the point is, EGR varies hugely depending on what your right boot is doing- I am sure that the temp difference between with or without 2stroke will be almost unmeasurable.

I think the point is, EGR varies hugely depending on what your right boot is doing- I am sure that the temp difference between with or without 2stroke will be almost unmeasurable.

And I "think" this is snake oil and placebo effect :) but I am trying to keep an open mind about it

EGR- I meant EGT lol Yes I'm with you on placebo, I am as critical as you but the thing we do know is that diesel is not as good as it use to be and I don't think a drop of 2stroke will hurt at all. As I said my tractors sticky injector has been perfect since adding a drop of oil to the fuel.

I did wonder if it was some effect on older slightly worn engines, I cant sell the idea of extra lubrication to myself but maybe some affect on droplet size and dispersion in the combustion chamber, improvement in injector pattern with 100K injectors etc... but that all feels a bit far fetched to me.

I've been using 2 stroke oil in my Freelander TD4 for the last few months, but as I have had other issues ever since I bought it since August 2013 with 113,000 miles, I really can't say if there is an improvement. Now the car is sorted, it is running better, but new injectors help anyway! I have also been adding Miller Ecomax as well. Seeing as I drive mine around London on a daily basis, my average mpg is right where I expect it to be - in the low 30's, going up to over 40 on a run. This is an auto, so they are not great around town, economy wise, but apart from that it is a brilliant relaxing, comfortable drive around town, but I digress.....

I've just completed a 1320km trip to Lesotho. I filled up in Johannesburg, and added 500ml of 2-stroke. Topped up the tank before leaving South Africa (put in 65 liters diesel and another 500ml 2-stroke). Then filled up again in Johannesburg and added 600ml 2-stroke.

I was towing a heavy 6-berth caravan all the way, and all the travel in Lesotho (about 250km) was on winding roads in very hilly terrain, with quite a lot of slow, low-range driving. All driving was at altitudes of between 5400 feet and 6600 feet ASL. (All this info has been logged on my consumption record).

My first impressions:
It seems that engine smoke has increased since using 2-stroke. There is definitely more smoke on start-up, and the same, if not more, during ordinary driving. Of course, if I weren't towing this may be different.

There is almost definitely a reduction in engine noise. Rae (who's not very observant about these things) even commented on the fact that it sounded quieter. My decibel meter measures the same as before, but I think I can discern a smoother sound than previously. That normal diesel "clunk" is softer.

I'll keep running with 2-stroke for the next year or so, and see what the data reveals.

When I filled up my Fiesta and calculated the mileage as I always do, I found that i had done 45 mpg as opposed to 43 on the last tankful. I wouldn't consider this a significant difference except for the fact that I had done several short journeys on this tankful so a lower figure was what I might have expected. I didn't notice any difference regards noise or performance whereas last time I did this, I put more two stroke oil in and it did seem quieter. I don't notice any more smoke on start-up.

The thing is: it is a nice feeling knowing the IP and injectors are getting some lubrication.

Nearly finished my 3rd tank full with added 2stroke, 2nd calculations were messed up when a mate borrowed the disco to do an airport run & topped it up with diesel for me. 3rd tank is still showing better mpg and it has been driven hard on this tank full- did a 300mile round trip on motorways over the weekend. While a long run should show better mpg chasing a Focus ST up the outside lane of the motorway with a 300tdi is never going to be economical driving!!

Right, I have just had the MOT test carried out on my 300tdi discovery- at the same test centre on the same emission tester and the results are lower with 2stroke oil added. I am still running with added two stroke oil, the result last year was 0.89, this year was 0.77
I am still achieving better mpg with the added 2stroke oil.

Good to hear Tom I havent ran any scientific tests but know this for sure ,engine quieter , quieter in the cab, engine seems more responsive and MPG seems to have inproved, smoke from the exhaust just about 0

I have just started using Diesel Rhino. It replaces the 2-stroke and ecomax. Still on my first tank of the 3-2-1 regime. Due to do 2nd tank in next day, so just the double dose.

My mpg figures have got worse, but that is mainly due to larger tyres. I am now running 225/65 R17 rather than 225/55 R17, which seem to be spot on now with the speedo and also the odo. It seems to make almost 2mpg difference.

We use it in two taxis with 2.7 N/A Nissan diesel engines and have noticed more 'poke' and quieter noise level. Also seems smoother. Was talking to our local diesel pump and injector servicing man about two stroke oil and he verified that it will do all the things talked about on here and that it is basically the same as RedEx. If it's good enough for him to make that comment it's good enough for us.

My mpg figures have got worse, but that is mainly due to larger tyres. I am now running 225/65 R17 rather than 225/55 R17, which seem to be spot on now with the speedo and also the odo. It seems to make almost 2mpg difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Guess what mines like with 315x75x16 fitted

I saw the 2stroke in this thread by comma, and as my local motor factor only sells it in litres, at nearly 6 squids a litre, I had a look at amazon, where it was 17.95 squids for 5 litres.

Paid for 2 business day delivery (3 squids extra).

Scheduled arrival date comes and goes, item sent by royal mail, so contact amazon. Wait a week, they say... so I get them to refund the extra I spent on postage.

Week later, still not arrived, so finally they agree to ship another lot out, by courier, which arrives 2 days after. That was about a week ago, original order placed in June.

Today, what should arrive but the original order, after being intercepted by the xray scanners of royal mail cos they thought it was a bomb!

Should I send it back???? ;)

You'd think amazon would know about royal mails prohibited list, wouldnt you?

Back
Top Bottom