• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2020 defender

Looks promising , still,, by the time they remove all the panels will look like a space ship :rofl:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/land-rover/defender/

0AC09BFA-9704-4781-962E-D5CAA7347722.jpeg
18F3FFCC-EB35-40A3-BD79-23719FD40BB2.jpeg
0843F7C9-260F-4D76-BC12-7E2ED4063C47.jpeg
F68A6146-E286-4803-A2AF-21FB2B7A1BCA.jpeg
85B8B582-1902-4207-8C92-03613C5B1FA4.jpeg
72D3CADC-3319-4777-82B6-338711FED124.jpeg

My first thought is 'Discovery 3 with a Defender rear door'

The front-end looks a little bulky and out of proportion, but maybe that's down to the 'dazzle' camouflage . . . .

Approach angle would be rubbish with the front skirt that low too, but again maybe that's just dressing up over the 'real' bumper?

At least it stands a good chance of getting out of the 'jelly mould' look so prevalent in the current line-up.

Anybody else have thoughts on this ?

Hmmmmmm :confused:....it's hard to say what it looks like underneath all the panels and camo-dazzle :eek:
The roof line and bonnet look faux as does the rear, the bonnet is held down with rubber straps and the front valance can't be for real :rolleyes: the wheel arches look concealed...
Untitled.png
Whatever, according to https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-land-rover-defender-spied-testing-public-roads they'll be 40-70K, that's more than our first house :lol:

Edited to add, MrsC just looked over my shoulder at the 4th image and said "is that the new Defender?" :rofl: so something of the icon must be coming across.

I suppose it could be any shape really given the test mule for the Freelander
Screenshot_20181003-080659_Chrome.jpg

It looks pretty similar to pics I've seen of the new defender though. I still think it's hideous. Follows the same style direction as the other offerings from LR, none of which I like.

Ultimately, when you input the same parameters into the autocad machine, it's going to spit out the same designs.

Looks like they are kind of stuck in a rut, and with that bodywork, they aren't getting out of it.

Still, the name and the price tag will no doubt appeal to the footballers wives. Can't see it getting used in the way the Defender used to be though. Doesn't quite sit with the 'farm hack' mindset somehow.

Land Rover have also been gurgling about extending the Discovery range to 6 models including competitors for cashcow and juke. Maybe that is what this is?

I suppose it could be any shape really given the test mule for the Freelander
View attachment 140501

It looks pretty similar to pics I've seen of the new defender though. I still think it's hideous. Follows the same style direction as the other offerings from LR, none of which I like.

Now thats a handy looking vehicle, lose the side window, some decent wheels, a general tidy up and I reckon you could sell plenty of them.

Guy on autocar assures he has seen the clay models and this disguised vehicle "does not do it justice"

I am pro new defender, the old one should have gone in 1990 as planned. I didn't even mind dc100. The only thing I really dislike is people obstinately dismissing it, not based on facts but purely because "not old defender".

Honestly there are people on Facebook, who have never driven a disco 3/4 or L322 /L405 range rover, let alone offroad, saying this new one will be terrible, won't be basic enough or rugged enough, will be shit offroad, RIP defender. All based purely on a deliberately disguised test mule with no known tech specs

Beggars belief

Must admit I was very impressed with the D3. Very capable.... Wouldn't want one though. Like the new Defender, it may well do all the things, but would I want to use it for that.?

The test vehicle is probably the running gear, with a similarly weighted body to the finished product, and weight is probably where the similarity will end.

Still can't see it being a farm hack, or a building site tool box. And in that respect to me it doesn't live up to its namesake. Would you fill it with a dead sheep, and drive it over a ploughed field, then take the shovel out and dig a hole to bury the carcass? Done that with a Defender 90, but I would baulk at using a vehicle like this in that way. It really wouldn't feel right. I'd want to wipe my feet before I got in!

I have no doubt it will be capable of doing what it is designed for, just that I think it's probably not designed to do what it's predecessor did/does.

From a previous Autocar article: "the two wheelbase sizes will allow the firm to develop a whole family of vehicles, ranging from basic utilitarian machines up to luxurious high-end models."

Perhaps the 'basic utilitarian' model will not be too posh for dead sheep, shovels and muddy boots....:rolleyes:

That's an interesting point there @capoj. I've been saying for years that they should put out a basic model that you wouldn't mind using as a work vehicle. Of course, every time I do I seem to attract comments along the lines of "Toyota,/hyundai/nissan/Honda can do it better." Well, I'd rather have the Land Rover myself.

I think the marque kind of suffers from its 'luxury' vehicle status these days. People (except those of us in the fraternity) associate the name with footballers, Chelsea tractors, and such like. Sometimes you look at the top of the range models and really cannot see a connection with their roots other than the badge, if you can spot it.

I'll be very interested to see how a utilitarian vehicle looks and performs. Like I said above I always thought the D3 was a bit un-offroad looking, but was very surprised at its capabilities. (newest one I have been off road in. Open to offers though...) So, you can't judge a book by its dust jacket.... Again, you can't judge the new defender by its disguise either, but if that's the finished running gear they are testing, it does look a bitty low slung. Just have to wait and see. I have to admit, I took an instant dislike to it in its present form. I know they have to test these things, but letting photos like these get out maybe attracts more flak than they deserve?

IMO both the Kia Soul and Skoda Yeti share some resemblance to a mini-Defender type vehicle (I believe 'DNA' is the parlance, incorrectly or not!) as does the DC100 concept version (4th pic) and the latest mule........but none have that classic., immediately recognisable shape.
Skoda Yeti Car Wallpapers 1[1].jpg kia_soul[1].jpg land-rover-defender--9_1600x0w[1].jpg 25-cars-worth-waiting-for-2019-2022-land-rover-defender-placement-1526577895[1].jpglandrover_007[1].jpg

There was an interesting quote from a certain Geraldine McGovern in the linked article.
"People need to stop thinking about function in a durable way, because any Land Rover is a premium product"

Many many years ago my biology teacher used to stress that in biology form is a consequence of function....

Does Ms McGovern mean that premium products aren't durable ? I would be most upset if my £40k +++ premium product wasn't durable.

IMO both the Kia Soul and Skoda Yeti share some resemblance to a mini-Defender type vehicle (I believe 'DNA' is the parlance, incorrectly or not!) as does the DC100 concept version (4th pic) and the latest mule........but none have that classic., immediately recognisable shape.
View attachment 140527View attachment 140528 View attachment 140530View attachment 140535View attachment 140531
Its funny, but I'm seeing a modern mini in a lot of those pics. Even the mule.

I'm going to tick my neck out and say it's probably not a million miles away from the final shape. If they didnt want the basic shape known I would guess they wouldnt cover it in signs saying #best 4x4xfar and it does look very similar to al the press pics such as

land-rover-defneder-2016-news-34.jpg

and admittedly better looking
Land-Rover-Defender-ute-main.jpg

Both are clearly "gaffer's cars" more marketed towards perhaps an architect visiting site or the boss of a building firm. I get that the role that the land rover was intended for no longer really exists and while I'm sure it will be more than capable off road just like a Disco or a Rangey, it has so little on common with the original defender or series LRs that they could drop the name and admit that the model no longer exists, giving the new one some daft name along the lines of evoque or velar.

Back
Top Bottom