• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

An important forum poll, please take part.

Big Sandy

Administrator
Staff member
As you may be aware we are currently at the capacity of our server, and need to upgrade. This is putting our costs up, so we are looking for support. There is a discussion about this here. Please read that first, before casting a vote.

Obviously we want to stay online, so please do participate so we can assess our options as discussed in the above thread.

The current donations campaign is here if you want to see where we are up to so far.

I'm happy to donate a fiver a month - is Paypal the most economical way to collect donations? If I paid direct from my bank account surely it wouldn't cost the forum a penny?

Also, I know you were talking about server space issues, do we really need to keep all 1050 pages of 'What did you do to your Series today?' I admit to reading about what forum members have been up to, but do we need it all? Could it not automatically delete after, say six months?

Also, I know you were talking about server space issues, do we really need to keep all 1050 pages of 'What did you do to your Series today?' I admit to reading about what forum members have been up to, but do we need it all? Could it not automatically delete after, say six months?
Honestly, I don't know. Trouble is, there is a lot of useful stuff...there's a lot of thread, its true...but.

One to think about.

I'm happy to donate a fiver a month - is Paypal the most economical way to collect donations? If I paid direct from my bank account surely it wouldn't cost the forum a penny?

While this might be a good idea for some threads the gain would be minimal and determining which threads are culled along with the search engine issues it causes are more of a headache than it's worth. We do however now compress images attached to threads to reduce the space they take, this has helped a lot.

Currently looking into database compression which was previously very slow but has improved lately, whether it has improved enough to be of use remains to be seen but we will be trialing it soon.

I voted for £5 a month, but I would be happy to pay it annually if the forum got to keep more of it. I too would think a direct to bank account payment would be more efficient than Paypal. David

I’ve gone with £5 and within my mind if I happen to sell anything on the forum I will give a donation..
also If I happen to have a spare couple of quid I will put that in .I’m with David about the Paypal part don’t like giving and the receiver ”forum” not getting all of it ..

Personally speaking I'd prefer a one off payment. I don't like direct debits or that kind of commitment other than the ones I can't avoid. Could payment be made via bacs or something into a dedicated account?

I voted for £5 a month, but I would be happy to pay it annually if the forum got to keep more of it. I too would think a direct to bank account payment would be more efficient than Paypal. David
Sadly, recent legislation to combat money trafficking/laundering means that opening a bank account is a complete mare. Who ever is in control of that account (and how it is set up) will have to provide the bank with a lot of personal information, including passport and facial recognition.

Plus 1 in voting , ref £5.00 per month, plus just donated £5.00 to the pot to round it up to £1,000

for me monthly direct debit would be easier instead of a lump sum each year, but of course will go with what ever the general consensus is

Plus 1 in voting , ref £5.00 per month, plus just donated £5.00 to the pot to round it up to £1,000

for me monthly direct debit would be easier instead of a lump sum each year, but of course will go with what ever the general consensus is
I dont see any reason why it has to be one or the other. A one-off donation as it is now or a monthly sub arent exclusive. Whatever suits.

Back
Top Bottom