• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

An important forum poll, please take part.

Fiver.... another forum I use also has the Donate banner at the top of the forum Home page , and under it the names of those who have recently donated. Might give users a nudge.

I do rather shamefully admit to not having donated here for a while. and I think the reference to 'keep free from advertising' is not necessarily helpful as many of us run adblockers anyway.

It occurs to me looking at some of the other forum sites that I frequent, that this one would be the only one that I'd be paying for on a monthly basis. I don't think that would be a good thing in the long run as it will surely discourage membership. I think it can work so long as it is an optional or 'discretionary' payment, i.e., up to the member to decide if they want to setup a monthly payment or make a lump sum donation(s).
One forum I dip into occasionally has the facility to setup a monthly donation as well as the single donation option; however, it does distinguish those making monthly payments as having 'gold member' status. The only additional benefit they get for this though is access to extra small discount offered by site sponsors, and access to a 'private chat' area, so no major benefit causing potential division. Difference there though is there is host site sponsorship and several trade sponsors and banner ads. None of that though intrudes on the site itself or disrupts things in any way. Obviously there has to be effort put into attracting and securing sponsorship as these are not something that can be just plucked from thin air as it were. I'm also not so sure that LRUK is large enough or significant enough to attract serious sponsorship, maybe the vehicle insurance companies, e.g., Adrian Flux, etc.
All comes down to how much time and effort those owning and running this place have/want to put into this kind of thing. I know I'm past it on that front now.

Okay, the poll runs for a week so will wait and see what transpires

However, the general feel I'm getting is some are happy to subscribe, some are happy for one off of their choice. Which is pretty much what I expected... I prefer to put money into things as and when I can, rather than be tied down myself.

But, I think it's an option to offer anyway. At the end of the day nobody is being forced to pay, it's their own choice, and their own choice how to go about it. I do not want people to think "I HAVE to pay to use that forum, so fork them.." Again, personal choice, if the option is offered, there's no pressure to use it!

I would like to be able to offer something extra for those who do donate (we added the VIP section a while ago for just that reason. Not getting used much...) it requires more thought.

I think we need to make the donation system more "in yer face" somehow. That seems to be a current theme.

We still have an agreement with Adrian Flux...they used to post here in return, but don't seem to any more. Members still get a discount from them for being members here.

There were a few other sponsors over the years. They got their own section for a year to post up their products, could join discussions, and with them having their own section it was personal choice whether members looked at it or not. No adverts as such. That didn't really work.

I've dealt with a few companies this last 18 months or so that wanted to post up business links (spam us, basically) who I have contacted and said that for a small fee they could have a link to their business in their signature, obviously then the more useful helpful posts they make the more it gets seen. Or offered them a section...fell on stony ground every time.

I need to sit in a darkened room and think things through.

I’ve also voted for £5 per month - I’d like to think that the advice given on the forum which enables me to carry out my own repairs and avoid buying dodgy parts has saved me far more than £60 per year.

I’ve also voted for £5 per month - I’d like to think that the advice given on the forum which enables me to carry out my own repairs and avoid buying dodgy parts has saved me far more than £60 per year.
Excellent point that I do believe I’ve saved a few quid over the last few years with advice from members here .a second or third opinion on repairing things myself…can only be a good thing on your pocket and brain .

I too voted for the £5 per month, but I have been equally happy doing odd donations when the need arises, as now.

Talking of Wikipedia, I am subject to their 'You donated last year...' emails, and I am happy to keep doing that (In fact I doubled my donation from £10 to £20 this year as I felt bit guilty for only giving a tenner for what is a fascinating and useful site).

I like the idea of a running total for the month, and as for perks of being a monthly subscriber, I'd be happy enough with the Site Donor banner to read DD Site Donor instead.

Keep the forum free -
I like to think we are a family of Land Rover enthusiasts. :)

Personally I'd prefer to make an annual donation and receive a reminder e-mail as the anniversary comes up (not that I'd need reminding).

The donation banner should be much more prominent and perhaps new members could be prompted to donate when they join.

If the consensus is monthly donations then so be it. Either way I'd much prefer to make payments direct rather than wasting part of my donation giving PayPal a percentage.

a personal message from the staff to pay up
payyourbills.gif

"Pay up"

We still have an agreement with Adrian Flux...they used to post here in return, but don't seem to any more. Members still get a discount from them for being members here.
wish I knew that last month, my renewal cost me £180 (up £30 from last year).
that's still a good price in my eyes (especially for where I live!), but if I could have gotten a discount -doh!!

Okay, the poll runs for a week so will wait and see what transpires

However, the general feel I'm getting is some are happy to subscribe, some are happy for one off of their choice. Which is pretty much what I expected... I prefer to put money into things as and when I can, rather than be tied down myself.

But, I think it's an option to offer anyway. At the end of the day nobody is being forced to pay, it's their own choice, and their own choice how to go about it. I do not want people to think "I HAVE to pay to use that forum, so fork them.." Again, personal choice, if the option is offered, there's no pressure to use it!

I would like to be able to offer something extra for those who do donate (we added the VIP section a while ago for just that reason. Not getting used much...) it requires more thought.

I think we need to make the donation system more "in yer face" somehow. That seems to be a current theme.

There were a few other sponsors over the years. They got their own section for a year to post up their products, could join discussions, and with them having their own section it was personal choice whether members looked at it or not. No adverts as such. That didn't really work.

I've dealt with a few companies this last 18 months or so that wanted to post up business links (spam us, basically) who I have contacted and said that for a small fee they could have a link to their business in their signature, obviously then the more useful helpful posts they make the more it gets seen. Or offered them a section...fell on stony ground every time.

I need to sit in a darkened room and think things through.
Regarding sponsors they could have their own link page ie just like we have a page for Series, discovery' R Rovers, Defenders etc and theirs being under site sponsors with a list from A to Z so they are not in yer face so to say were they can put their own adverts and offers giving the choice for members to view the links at their own leisure

Back
Top Bottom