• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Anyone ever rebuild 2.6l 6-pot and replaced the exhaust valve guides?

matthamilton

In Third Gear
I am in the process of performing a frame-off restoration of a 1981 Series 109 Military 2.6l 6-pot. I just got a call from the machinist telling me that when he pushed out the broken exhaust valve guide on the #1 cylinder that the the replacement exhaust valve guide (part #511834 which is what the parts manual lists as the only exhaust valve guide) is shorter than the old one. The part of the guide that slides into the engine block on the old valve guide is significantly longer than the replacement (part #511834).

The picture below is the replacement (part #511834) in the micrometer that was set after measuring the old valve guide. A considerable difference. Craddocks has stated that they don't know of another guide for this engine, but clearly there is another valve guide for this engine. If this guide was used it would lead to massive carbon build up in the space left open by the shorter guide. Not that many miles are ever going to be put on this vehicle, but I'd like to get it right since any performance degradation is a big deal for this engine.

Can anyone help???

Attachments

• IMG_5783.jpg
    IMG_5783.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 96
Back
Top Bottom