• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Anyone thinking about going electric ?

30EK42

Offroader
I've got to admit that a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of asking a question like this.
The whole idea of ditching my internal combustion engine for a giant version of a kids toy seemed absolutely abhorrent to me.
However, time creeps forward, and I might just live long enough to see the end of fossil fueled vehicles.
So now I'm getting around to thinking why not adapt my Series 2A to electric power ?
After all they are among the most adaptable vehicles in the world, and their simple mechano like construction should make things much easier than with modern monocoque vehicles.
So where the hell do I start ?
Where do I start aquiring a working knowledge of the new technology.
I'm an old school grease monkey and something of a technophobe TBH.
I know that you can buy "crate motors" for custom cars.
Is anyone offering something similar for electric conversions yet ?

That company on the telly box does it
Vintage Voltage. They may give you advice and supply you with all parts needed . They are based in mid Wales. If they do it for you the cost is 25k upwards

fully electric, not a chance. if i had the money i would happily turn hybrid though. by fitting an electric motor like an overdrive and a chunky generator on top of the engine like the military spec does. best of everything then and completely reversible.
as it stands though i will be leaving well alone until there is some unavoidable reason to do so. when they make it too much trouble to run an old combustion engine i will see what tech is around and make a decision then. things are moving along with development so i would be reluctant to spend out on anything like that right now.

Maybe Im missing the point, but to my mind the only (good) reason to run hybrid is if you are able to recapture wasted energy (from braking or on over-run) to charge a battery with 'free' energy which can then be re-used as required.

Generating electricity from mechanical energy (an engine) to then convert it back to mechanical energy is considerably less efficient than just using the mechanical energy directly, surely..?

Anyway, by the time you have purchased the necessary generator, controllers, batteries and motors (and factored in the extra weight and maintenance requirements) and getting the insurance and MOT man to accept it, I think we will all be using alternate fuels like hydrogen.

i would say the hybrid thing depends on circumstance. if a battery can run for 20 miles then i could do all my trips into town and back without any petrol at all. on my longer trips i sit on main roads for most of it then go through a town which is often slow and stop/start. so i could turn off the engine and run through it on electric but use the engine when its at the most efficient. sure there is the extra weight of the set up but for me the option would get used a lot without sacrificing the parts of the landy i love. so i would end up using the landy more often.
you could go hybrid by fitting a much smaller, lighter and more efficient engine to run a generator, which can then run the motor. which could dramatically reduce the fuel consumption. but i like the 2.25p to much to let that go without a fight.

If you want to acquaint yourself with the technology, there are usually cheap mobility scooters kicking about, which are essentially the same thing but less complicated.. Batteries, speed controller and motor is really all it is. The more voltage is applied to the motor, the faster it goes!
On proper cars the main issue is keeping the batteries safe, and at the right temperature.. :)

If you want to acquaint yourself with the technology, there are usually cheap mobility scooters kicking about, which are essentially the same thing but less complicated.. Batteries, speed controller and motor is really all it is. The more voltage is applied to the motor, the faster it goes!
On proper cars the main issue is keeping the batteries safe, and at the right temperature.. :)
Ah that would explain why when I walk past the Tesla’s on the school run they are parked up but with a fan going . I hadn’t thought of battery temperature 👍

Ah that would explain why when I walk past the Tesla’s on the school run they are parked up but with a fan going . I hadn’t thought of battery temperature 👍
Most likely the Aircon condenser fan.... Most electric vehicle run a electric A/C system to allow cooling for the cabin...

Some Hybrids are even worse with a Dual system allowing conventional engine driven AC compressor as well as electric to allow cooling when in electric mode...

My bosses BMW I8 is currently in BMW requiring 10ks worth of repairs to get the AC system working again (on top of requiring battery pack repairs)

I live in a first floor flat, so charging an all electric engine would be a challenge.
I`d sooner keep the landy as is and ditch the daily driver for whatever technology has been proven to work with the infrastructure to support it.......

you could go hybrid by fitting a much smaller, lighter and more efficient engine to run a generator, which can then run the motor. which could dramatically reduce the fuel consumption. but i like the 2.25p to much to let that go without a fight.
How would that reduce fuel consumption?
The energy produced by a 2.25 diesel uses fuel at about 35% efficiency.
What small engine (with intrinsic losses, better than 35%?) could then drive a generator to charge a battery (with more intrinsic losses) which would then drive a motor (with even more intrinsic losses)?
Surely it would consume more fuel per mile?

At the back of my mind, I’ve thought about an EV conversion for my S3 at some point in the future. I live on a small island, don’t really plan on taking it for long journeys and quite like the idea that it’d not fill my garage full of smoke every time I’ve not used it for a while. That said, it’s a long way off from being a cheap conversion. There’s a company in Australia called Jaunt that are worth a follow - they’re planning on a kit (but it won’t be cheap).
But until then, all the work I do to it would be also beneficial if converted (bodywork, suspension, brakes, etc), as the gearbox and engine aren’t original anyway and haven’t needed work doing to it.

Generating electricity from mechanical energy (an engine) to then convert it back to mechanical energy is considerably less efficient than just using the mechanical energy directly, surely..?
I think that is something a lot of people do not understand.
A great many people are blinded by the cost saving an electric vehicle appears to offer which allows them to ignore scientific reality as in this case.
At present, the electricity they use to charge their vehicles does not have a fuel tax placed upon it.
If fuel tax was removed from petrol and diesel, the supposed efficiency of electric cars would be completely overshadowed by the cost saving and convenience of the combustion engine.

I think that is something a lot of people do not understand.
A great many people are blinded by the cost saving an electric vehicle appears to offer which allows them to ignore scientific reality as in this case.
At present, the electricity they use to charge their vehicles does not have a fuel tax placed upon it.
If fuel tax was removed from petrol and diesel, the supposed efficiency of electric cars would be completely overshadowed by the cost saving and convenience of the combustion engine.

Not only that, but even assuming that electric is free and road tax for the electric car is free I can do an awful lot of miles using petrol in my old banger for the cost of an electric car. I can't see old electric cars being worthwhile either because the batteries are the most expensive part and are likely to be knackered when it comes for sale secondhand. David

Back
Top Bottom