• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Are You a Prepper?

In Switzerland it is a requirement that each household has a prepared bunker and the authorities check them on a regular basis

Oh and the rapture keeps getting postponed.

In Switzerland it is a requirement that each household has a prepared bunker and the authorities check them on a regular basis

Oh and the rapture keeps getting postponed.

If I remember rightly all house in Germany had to have shutters and a concrete reinforced basment due to the threat of war with Warsaw pact 🤔

It would be a better world for all if the time and effort put in by so called preppers had been spent, like many have done on stopping this ridiculous and eminently foreseeable situation arising,
i wouldnt trust who we have sorting the situation out with painting the front of a house.

Last edited:
This is worth a read.

Screenshot_20240422-165730.png

Quite the eye opener in a lot of ways. Several things I remember doing, the drills at school for one. Like hiding under your desk was going to save you.

I think one item that surprised me was the three Scots ro-ro ferries that were actually floating fallout shelters, the "elite" got the notification, head to the ferries, along with a load of livestock.... There's one still afloat, but no longer a 'bunker'.

(Google "Secret Ships of Calmac", the ferries were Columba, Hebridies and Clansman)

This is worth a read.

View attachment 529827

Quite the eye opener in a lot of ways. Several things I remember doing, the drills at school for one. Like hiding under your desk was going to save you.

I think one item that surprised me was the three Scots ro-ro ferries that were actually floating fallout shelters, the "elite" got the notification, head to the ferries, along with a load of livestock.... There's one still afloat, but no longer a 'bunker'.

(Google "Secret Ships of Calmac", the ferries were Columba, Hebridies and Clansman)
Yep remember it , take doors off to make shelter under stairs , that’s when most doors were made of wood , do it now and would be no point upvc doors 😵‍💫

When I posted this thread it wasn't really meant to be another nuclear war thread.....more of an observation on the amount of nutters that we will have to deal with on top of any emergency that may befall us.....and also the fact that crossbows are legal to own even though it is illegal to do anything with them, especially if you live in the middle of a conurbation.

Longbows are legal too, compound and otherwise. Faster reload time, and often greater range. But, they need skill, so not a weapon of choice of the masses.

I get owning a longbow, it's a skill. There's no skill in a crossbow. Hence the desire to own one I guess.

I collect knives and swords..... Have always carried a pocket knife. Would I use one against another person? No. There's the difference!

Being prepared to me means having enough supplies in the house to last a week.ir two when we get snowed in. Candles and gas for when the power goes off. Derv to get out if required.

Nutters.... Plenty of them. And quite the criminal element too.

Had an acquaintance many years ago who made longbows the traditional way.
An arrow could easily go through a car door.
Got a good collection of pocket knives....just as well because I broke my Osarkes lock knife today trying to use it as a crowbar lol. No tensile strength.

I like to think that I could cope well enough if there was a power cut, water problem or no food deliveries for a week and just live on Jam, but you are right that the threat may be more from 'the others' who treat the local shop as they own pantry. I imagine things could go south after a week or they have to close Greggs especially as one met police officer warned one guy recently that he couldn't ensure his safety being out on the street looking 'openly Jewish'. And that is without anything else going on.
Whatever happened to the British spirit of us all pulling together in a crisis? Sadly I think it may have gone the way of other British values.

Enjoy .....
"Gettin' Down On The Mountain"

When the oil stops, everything stops
Nothin' left in the fountain
Nobody wants paper money, son
So you just as well stop countin'
Can ya break the horse, can ya light the fire?
What's that, I beg your pardon?
You'd best start thinkin' where your food comes from
And I hope you tend a good garden

Gettin' down on the mountain
Don't wanna be around when the shit goes down
I'll be gettin' down on the mountain

When the truck don't run, the bread wont' come
Have a hard time findin' petrol
Water ain't runnin' in the city no more
Do ya hold any precious metal?
Can you gut the fish, can you read the sky?
What's that about overcrowdin'?
Ya ever seen a man who's kids ain't ate
For seventeen days and countin'?

There ain't no heat and the power's gone out
It's kerosene lamps and candles
The roads are blocked, it's all gridlocked
You got a shortwave handle?
Can ya track the deer, can ya dig the well?
I couldn't quite hear your answer
I think I see a rip in the social fabric
Brother can you spare some ammo?

I'll be goin' to ground on the mountain

When the oil stops, everything stops
Nothin' left in the fountain
Nobody wants paper money, son
So you just as well stop countin'
Can ya break the horse, can ya light the fire?
What's that, I beg your pardon?
I think I see a rip in the social fabric
Brother can you pass the ammo?

I'll be goin' to ground on the mountain

Mate of mine isn’t really a prepper but more of a perennial what iffer. Every week I get a different apocalypse based question, and a few weeks ago it went this:

What iffer: so, I’m thinking about buying a crossbow, it’ll be handy if supply lines get cut for getting food, and self defence

Me: waste of time mate

W.I: why, what would you do then

Me: I’d probably take food off people like you.

W.I: would the crossbow not work then?

Me: probably not against a rifle or a shotgun……. But it would give you something to fiddle with as you die.

I think he got the point. Other top hits at 10pm include, but are not limited to:
If someone invaded with tanks, what could I make to disable them?

How far do I need to be from a nuclear blast for my vw golf to not be effected by EMP?

Do you reckon (small village) would be a priority target for a nuclear strike, we’ve got a fabrication place?

Do you think the Russians are considering invading, and if so, what would you do?

It’s like living in a copy of red dawn someone bought off temu.

Funnily enough, a good friend in the states is a bit of a prepper. Not full blown bunker in the cellar, but armed better than a small African nation. His brother did an absolutely brilliant video short for his final year media degree exam starring him. The premise was the zombie apocalypse had occurred and it followed him in slow motion getting kitted up with every conceivable tool in his armoury, tac vest the works, only to finally get ready and outside and find out the neighbours had killed everything with baseball bats and shovels.
He did see the funny side

I am not concerned really about the foolish war games being played at the moment .. the people who make the money from the game will not destroy the world .. for to do so will only stop them making money .. money made from arms production and the loans for countries to buy those arms.. coupled with the money from reconstruction of the destroyed infrastructure.. .. the shameful part is the utter waste of human life involved in the pursuit of money and power .... and if they did foolishly drop a bomb to frazzle me well ... grab a good magazine and some thing nice to drink (in my case smoke _) and go out with a smile on your face ... and as monty python would sing "always look on the bright side of life"...
For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin
Give the audience a grin
Enjoy it, it's your last chance anyhow...So always look on the bright side of death
And just before you draw your terminal breath.....Always look on the bright side of life
(Come on)
Always look on the right side of life...:):)

Interesting about Hawaii... There were all sorts of rumours about the fires there, how they burnt out the poor folk, but not the rich. Now developers want the land that's burnt out. Conspiracy!!!

As long as the local fauna don't mutate into glowing radstags and we have salt and bullets....

The reality is yes riots & uprisings occur,it's possible it could happen. It's a deterrent having the bomb,be stupid to start ww3. Because pretty much the entire world is a gonna, radiation will get everywhere ruining crops, fruit water supplies. Trying to survive would get very hard if not impossible for most, I'd rather go quickly than suffering.
Oil lets call it black gold is the key,to the main greed. Notice how we rarely get involved in wars, where there's no resources like this. Places like Iraq straight in there,grab the oil but not a sign of weapons of mass destruction.

Back
Top Bottom