• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Buying a series III

samroberts11

Accelerating Away
Hi all, i'm looking to buy a Landy Series III to compliment my current '77 MGB GT
Chalk and cheese I know!
I'm thinking an 88" so...
What are the main things I should be looking for?
And what can I get for about £700-£900?

Thanks, Sam

Main things to look for are:

Condition of Chassis
Condition of Bulkhead
Check Gearbox goes into all gears smoothly and the hi/low operates correctly
If you can get a very early series 3 than you can get a tax exempt one up to 1973
Generally check the electrics

Plus points on any purchase are:

Galv Chassis - will last much longer (worth £700 or so alone)
Overdrive - improves effeciency and gives another gear above the end of the normal box, much better for dual carriageways etc. (worth about £300-£500)

Obviously there are various body styles to look at:

Pickup, Van (Hardtop), Canvas, County (windows and seats etc in the back)

You've got the choice of a 2.25 petrol engine or a 2.25 diesel engine, petrol is much quieter and slightly more pokey but isn't good on economy. Diesel has bags of torque, is better in water and better on fuel (although no comparison to a modern motor) - but it is a fair bit louder. If you find a rarer Stage 1 Series 3 then they came with a 3.5l V8 which I'm told is similar on fuel consumption to the 2.25 petrol but lots more power. I've just seen a stage 1 for £800 so in your budget!

For that sort of price range I would expect a relatively good example 1974-1980 sort of age range.

Hope that helps

Thanks for all the help, i'm going to see one on sunday. This one in fact:
LAND ROVER 88"
Its got a galvanised chassis, which sounds good.
Any idea what you think this might go for/roughly what i should pay? so I dont rush into it and pay over the odds.
a picture of the footwell that I asked him to send:

footwell.jpg

:D
Sam

Thanks for all the help, i'm going to see one on sunday. This one in fact:
LAND ROVER 88\"
Its got a galvanised chassis, which sounds good.
Any idea what you think this might go for/roughly what i should pay? so I dont rush into it and pay over the odds.
a picture of the footwell that I asked him to send:

View attachment 107762

:D
Sam

That bulkhead looks very rough, probably worse behind the plastic dash. I'd steer clear unless you're up for removing it and repairing/replaceing it which is a big job.

Thanks. I'll bear that in mind when I go and have a look at it.
It's the first one I'm going to see so need to make sure I don't get wrapped up in Land Rover love and buy it for the sake of it.
How much would you suggest a sIII with decent chassis and bulkhead would set me back?

Back
Top Bottom