• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Converting EFI 3.9V8 To Carb

series3-2007

Offroader
recently been given a 3.9 v8 which is efi, but this has been removed by the bloke that i got it off for his project motor, and i was just wondering is it a case of getting the correct manifolds and slapping them on with twin su's, it just means a lot less wiring.

also means could have power steering because its still got the pump.

any ideas boys & girls, as i've never dealt with v8's so it's quite a challenge.

recently been given a 3.9 v8 which is efi, but this has been removed by the bloke that i got it off for his project motor, and i was just wondering is it a case of getting the correct manifolds and slapping them on with twin su's, it just means a lot less wiring.

also means could have power steering because its still got the pump.

any ideas boys & girls, as i've never dealt with v8's so it's quite a challenge.

Pretty much..Inlet manifolds are cheap, you can get one with twin carbs on for about £75 on ebay.

I think you may need to get the carbs jetted for the increased capacity over the 3.5 litre.

always go the 4 barrel carb route, weber or holley. in fact new carbs aren't overly priced, don't forget though you'll need an electronic fuel pump matched pressure wise to the carb set up.. An efi pump will be too high pressured and will knacker the float chamber seals.

The SU manifold should go straight on it should run fine and you will probably be able to get away without re-jetting them as the are pretty much maxed out on flow in a 3.5 litre and the beauty of the variable venturi is that it compensates for the extra airflow.
If you want to releae all the power potential then you will need a 4 barrell , efi or one of quad SU conversions.

Kevin

always go the 4 barrel carb route, weber or holley.

Unless you want to go off road.. the webber and holleys don't like being run at funny angles.. The SU's will work best I think. Also a little restriction in power may not be a bad thing if your bolting it upto a series box, give it a bootfull of power and you will snap something im sure :)

I plan too :rolleyes:

Are you puttin git in your series.. if so, its a lot of work getitng the parts :eek:

yeah, im thinking about putting it back into my rangie/series conversion coz the chassis was already matched for it, with the engine mounts still in place, but will make new ones, and it should be matched to a series 2a (non syncro) box, with series transfer box, and rangie/disco diffs, but putting it back in means possible power steering, not looking for assive top end, but lots of power, and considering the log book already says 3.5/3.9 v8, which ever one it is, cant remember off the top of my head, it shouldn't take half the time to do the paperwork.

p.s does anybody know where i can get su carbs overhauled or where to get serivce kits to do them.

Twin SU's are pretty ok with a 3.9. Re-jetting is easy enough and when I enquired a while ago with RPI, they told me the right needles to get, which of course, they would supply.

I was going to do the same with my TACR2 in order to keep it looking original, when changing the 3.5 for a 3.9, (although "original" actually means Strombergs which wouldn't be refitted), but hence my enquiry with RPI. The project still hasn't come to fruition though, and sadly I can't remember which needles they told me to get. I am sure they would advise you if you wanted to ask them.

I'd take your efi gear off your hands too if you want to get shot of it!

Twin SU's are pretty ok with a 3.9. Re-jetting is easy enough and when I enquired a while ago with RPI, they told me the right needles to get, which of course, they would supply.

I was going to do the same with my TACR2 in order to keep it looking original, when changing the 3.5 for a 3.9, (although "original" actually means Strombergs which wouldn't be refitted), but hence my enquiry with RPI. The project still hasn't come to fruition though, and sadly I can't remember which needles they told me to get. I am sure they would advise you if you wanted to ask them.

I'd take your efi gear off your hands too if you want to get shot of it!

afraid not the efi gear has alrready gone & i've hacked up the wiring loom, because it was shot.

Hi.

My landy is fairly close to what you are trying to do. I have a 1958 series 2a and have put a tuned 4.6 hse block and heads into it. I didnt want to lark around with brain and elecs, so stripped of the engine back to the heads, put an sd1 front cover on with a longer high lift cam which then allowed me to convert the engine back to distributor and carb. I run the Holley 470 truck avenger with MSD ignition and it runs a good late 14 seconds 1/4 mile. I found even on my previous engine a 3.5 litre V8 it was going through gearboxes like cans of beer, so changed to an R380 5 speed, which was a bit of a shoe horn, buy it works. Make sure you put it on a rolling road tune to get the final jetting etc. The holleys can be tuned fairley close by eye, but diagnosis is best. I spent a day on it and although 300 quid was handed over, ive already got that back in fuel saving, but with power gains to boot that i would never acieve without the computer. Go to www.raceshack.co.uk for this. If you need any technical give me a call i have a huge documented and photos record of it all too. Do check out www.realsteel.co.uk for carbs and manifolds, i got most of my engine bits from here and they are good. Also if you want to see mine on the dyno or road, its on youtube. have a peep at these.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s7yH2O4PY9g

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zMY6TdxuxUc

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tMsFTFxKBkc
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jgRcR9Tq0u0&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KYzkXSj1ipQ

also if your not far away and want to pop over for a look id be happy to show you what ive done.
enjoy and good luck.

Scott

Isn't there a mod for the Weber/Edelbrock 500, for off-road angles? RPi will know / will be on their site.

Manifolds for 4bbl carbs are in demand so fetch a fair price s/h (Edelbrock Performer). The Weber/Edlebrock carb is a bit better on mpg than the Holley 390, and imho easier to live with. Most of it can be got at 'cleanly' and quickly as it splits horizontally. Weber has smaller primaries so has good response from v.low down, Holley 390 has mid-range clout. Holley is fussy about float heights and sensitive to fuel pressure (max 6-7psi). I swapped out a Holley 390 for a Weber 500, got better mpg, much less fettling, and nice low-down response. Missed the sheer mad stomp of the Holley though. 3.9 in a 2500lbs car, gave 20mpg on mixed run of London crawl and 90 cruising.
All the above is re the 390 Holley not this Avenger btw - don't know how similar that is.

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofjet.htm

""The hot setup to use in this case is to swap the heads for those on a 1964 Buick 300, which is the same basic engine with a cast iron block and a displacement bump. The 300 heads are still aluminum, however, and will bolt to the 215 block. It is possible to drop the crank and heads from the 300 onto a 215 short block and get a 5.0 liter all aluminum V-8 that weighs about 310 lbs fully dressed."

Hmmm that sounds like fun- some day I think I'll have to try that...

The Buick heads have much bigger chambers though, like 54cc instead of 28 or whatever - guys weld them up and re-machine them. The crank isn't a drop-in either, needs machining. Another option is machining a 4.6 crank as it has bigger crankpins so can be offset ground to give a stroker. Also there's stroker kits, and also raw cranks around that can be ground for capacity hike-age fun n frolics...

Yeah that starts getting expensive- machining the Buick 300 crank to fit etc. Every once in a while I start thinking I want to do the big displacement aluminum V8... Then I realize I can get more cubic inches much easier and cheaper with just another motor.

;)

Same here, scary numbers sometimes put me right off: one place wanted £750 / 1500ish USD to machine a raw crank to 4.5 litres :eek: :) Seen worn Buick cranks make £300 here... but of course they're a bit hens teeth this side of the pond...

Check the US eBay and look under 215 Buick, 215 olds, and Buick 300- you'll find some good deals. Shipping would be expensive but even still with the exchange rate you should make out ok.

It is the Land Rover stuff that is scary expensive over here! :eek:

some recent 215/300 goodies:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-ROD-INTAKE-4BBL-BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-215-ALUMINUM-V8-62_W0QQitemZ360096936637QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360096936637&_trkparms=72%3A1208%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR...m14QQhashZitem120315937198QQitemZ120315937198

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...m14QQhashZitem120315939983QQitemZ120315939983

For us the hopped up 3.5s are really rare virtually no one plays with them anymore because Small Block Chevrolets and Fords are so much more common, offer more displacement and are pretty light, maybe 100-150 pounds heavier than the 215/3.5l...

Back
Top Bottom