• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Converting EFI 3.9V8 To Carb

I used to run a 390cfm on a 3.5 rover and it was fine, now run the 470 avenger holley as it is the best size for a 4.6 as well as being designed and factory modified for off road. Im dubious about the 500 as i think it is oversize for the 3.5 or 3.9, it therefore loses air velocity and therefore power higher up the revs, good for low down though. Where a the 390 on a 3.5 or 470 on 3.9 would be better. Holleys are easy to setup, there are tonns of spares and advice available too. your right about the high fuel pressure, but that doesnt influence economy, only the right foot does that, whatever carb you have.

I can't see the 500 being too big, there's loads on Rover 3.5s and 3.9s, and mine (non Landy car) went up the strip OK with no loss of top-end, it loved to rev out. The only place it lost to the Holley was at around 30ish, booting it, the Holley made it really jump which was huge fun... But from nothing, and for slow pootling, the Weber was better. All personal choice/prefs of course.
Setting up a 500 isn't too hard, the booklet is comprehensive and jets & springs are easily available/easy swaps.
On the V8 forum we used to see far more Holley probs than Weber probs, although in the last yr-ish both have dropped right off to nearly nothing, most fuel qq's are about EFI now...

A late entry and reply to early postings.

I took a 3.9efi and stuffed the 3.5 twin su manifold on with no major problems. I RTV'd with it until it went bad and then I stuck in a 4.6 with the 3.9 efi system modded to suit.

The proper SU's should be HIF44's and I remember using BBW needles to get decent power and economy. With a bit of fettling the SU's can flow pretty well (see Vizards book on the A Series for some properly tested modifications).

Don't discount the SU family as they are pretty decent carbs.

For a simple, easy to maintain, cheap system stick with the SU's. You can even buy new ones apparently. There is very little that goes wrong and they are pretty simple to tune.

If you want to spend money then Holley/Edelbrok/Webber plus having to buy a proper manifold to suit are all available but I'd spend the dosh on MegaSquirt EFI instead. [But then I'm not worried about electronics and can wield a soldering iron if I have to]

Back
Top Bottom