• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now
Defender Handbrake Strip And Rebuild

Guide Defender Handbrake Strip And Rebuild

Ben Breese

Big Landy Fan
Ben Breese submitted a new resource:

Defender Handbrake Strip And Rebuild - A Detailed Guide

If your handbrake sticks on or is ineffective, chances are the expander unit is full of mud and general gunk that builds up over the years.

If your handbrake is ineffective then it might just be out of adjustment, so try turning the adjuster clockwise and seeing if it grips. If not then its time to strip it and clean it out!

Remove the rear prop, it's held on by 9/16ths nuts. You might have to undo 2/3 bolts and move the truck forward backward slightly to get access to the last bolt, it...

Read more about this resource...

Excellent Ben. A good tip whilst rebuilding the brake is to wrap an elastic band around both the adjuster and expander to stop the pistons falling out when refitting the brake shoes. Saves a lot of grief!

Having replaced my brake shoes I find the handbrake doesnt grip even when pulled up hard so I guess I have the expander fitted incorrectly. Main reason for reply is, I found out years ago working on my Hillman Imp that an adjustable spanner closed up to just grip the end of the shoe makes a useful lever for pulling the shoes off and on.
Also I think they are 9/16" nuts on the prop. I also found that jacking up the o/s rear wheel just clear of the ground allows me to turn the propshaft round to get at all the nuts and bolts. If the bolts are very tight you might need someone to put the brakes on whist you crack them. Ah well, back under I go.

Wish I'd read this before I took mine apart today!! Think the cable needs replacing as it is very stiff but the adjuster was a bit gunked up

hi thanks for the article very informative stripped it down today but noticed tat when i took it off a lot of oil was on it so took off backplate how easy is it to replace seal and how is it done also looking at the haynes manual it say something about an oil catcher didnt see one on it but previous owner was a bit of a clown the landy is 93 200tdi defender any help greatly appreciated cheers conrad :)

Thank you for the article. Just stripped my handbrake and now is working ok. I would recommend remocing the backplate, it makes life easier especially when removing the top adjuster bolt and also to remove and replace expander shims.

Topper

great how to thread, I stripped cleaned and rebuilt my handbrake today using this guide which was very helpful, the expander was seized solid but now works a treat. thanks

Wish I'd thought of the elastic band "trick". I'll definately do that next time. My cable tie idea was just a little too unwieldy and not so easy to get off.
Al.

Back
Top Bottom