• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender ignition switched power supply

Just finished dremel'ing my new Mud console dash to pieces, brilliant fun. Never used a Dremel before, they certainly are dangerous! I only ruined 3 cutting disks :D

I picked one of those up last time I was in the UK.

The first sign that we're dealing with a dangerous tool has to be the aprin that you put on the floor so that your chopped off fingers are nice and clean for the medics to sew back :eek:

Seriously now, that's a really nice tool. Only problem so far has been finding replacement blades and stones in South Africa.

I picked one of those up last time I was in the UK.

The first sign that we're dealing with a dangerous tool has to be the aprin that you put on the floor so that your chopped off fingers are nice and clean for the medics to sew back :eek:

Seriously now, that's a really nice tool. Only problem so far has been finding replacement blades and stones in South Africa.

I brought a similar Cheapo one from B&Q and it has various sized collets, it will take dremmel bits and also 1/4" router bits.

I brought a similar Cheapo one from B&Q and it has various sized collets, it will take dremmel bits and also 1/4" router bits.

When I buy power tools in the UK, I always buy good stuff like Makita, Hitachi or DeWalt. Their tools are good and they have agents out here that honour warranties and can supply replacement batteries, brushes etc.

Even with 17.5% VAT, good tools still cost a lot less in the UK than in SA.

My dad bought a Dremel engraver in 1983. It's still going strong. We've all tried to break it over the years, but without luck. I decided to buy the (more expensive) Dremel rotary grinder in it's fancy case with the aprin and all it's fancy bits based on past experience. Little did I know that the collet only takes Dremel bits and that I would have a lot of trouble finding them in SA. Never mind, bits and blades have been added to the list of stuff to collect from the Screwfix Trade Counter next time I'm in the UK.

One interesting German product that we get here that I haven't seen in the UK is Einhell. I have one of their chop saws and so far so good. I should have bought their rotary grinder as there's lots of consumables available for it here.

When I buy power tools in the UK, I always buy good stuff like Makita, Hitachi or DeWalt. Their tools are good and they have agents out here that honour warranties and can supply replacement batteries, brushes etc.

Even with 17.5% VAT, good tools still cost a lot less in the UK than in SA.

My dad bought a Dremel engraver in 1983. It's still going strong. We've all tried to break it over the years, but without luck. I decided to buy the (more expensive) Dremel rotary grinder in it's fancy case with the aprin and all it's fancy bits based on past experience. Little did I know that the collet only takes Dremel bits and that I would have a lot of trouble finding them in SA. Never mind, bits and blades have been added to the list of stuff to collect from the Screwfix Trade Counter next time I'm in the UK.

One interesting German product that we get here that I haven't seen in the UK is Einhell. I have one of their chop saws and so far so good. I should have bought their rotary grinder as there's lots of consumables available for it here.

Your wish is my command.:D
http://www.toolbank.com/category.cf...405&nx=97722B0738C6B5957A623793D18C0D23blyjkg

bvudzichena said:
What happens is the plod catch you?

Run:D Or don't get caught;) They don't bother much anyway, they don't know they're 100W and not 55. The only reason I'd get pulled I guess would be if I was using the roof spots on the road (which I do), but even then they don't seem bothered. They probably dont know the law, or it would be too much paperwork for such a little thing.

So does your landy still have the TD ignition barrel loz? If its a Tdi replacement then he wiring colours are different I think.

Cheers, Ben

Toppa, the wires and fixings and bits and bobs and toys and oh dear I could've spent a lot more!

End of day 1 of my 4 day electronics masacre has gone okay. Got the console all kitted out, tommorrow is the ripping apart dash day to fit the console! woop! and hopefully get most of the stuff wired in. I hope! Lets hope for no rain and warm weather! :D

Ben, yes it's still TD ignition barrell. One job I'd love to get round to, is fitting the proper TDi method of glow plugs (e.g. automatic) but that IS a lot of work. (e.g. got to run a new 12v up to the relay etc etc) I have the relay, just too much effort replacing the barrell etc.
What are the colours for TD then? I'll be needing that wire tommorrow, so any tips would be great! I just need any ignition switched live to trigger my relay which will power all the other stuff I need powered by ignition switched source!

Kenlowe fans take 20-30 amps so you need a decent relay. The fan is at the front isn't it. So the relay should be up there too, like in the wing behind the headlight, and guess what, the alternator big fat brown wire is up there too and it is the alternator not the battery that is going to provide the juice. Don't forget the in-line fuse.
Kenlowe used to show the temp sensor on the top hose, perhaps they've changed since mine.
I may be missing something but as you are only taking a low current off the ignition switched circuit I can't see why you don't connect to the ignition switch. You will also need this for your alarm.
If you want a bit of permanent live current up around the dash use the feed going into the light switch, but not for more lights, just radio memory or clock.

Alarm?! You're joking right?

I think you're a bit confused anyway Baz, this doesn't really have anything to do with the kenlowe really.. Yes the relay will be up front with the fan, thanks for the tip about hooking it into the alternator, I hadn't though of that. Genius! The idea is though, I have a wire running back to the switch on the dash which allows 3 states.. Always off, always on, or through the temperature controlled module. it's very easy to do this with a relay. And yes, the kenlowe thermostat goes in top hose IF ignition switched, else put it in the bottom (quoted from the instructions ;) )

I literally only am taking a couple of LEDs, a voltmeter source, and a small amount of current to trigger a relay through a switch. Do you think that will be okay on the ignition switch? I might just put it into a relay to be safe.
I've seen what electricity does to cars; happened to my mates recently. Not good.

The colours I gave you were for the TD barrel:) I assumed it was a TD barrel anyway, was just checking before you went cutting into wires then came to shout at me:D It might just be worth checking the wire with a tester first. Tester onto spade and earth it when the ignition is on, don't electrocute yourself or bridge any wires though! There are two white wires too, one for the ignition switch power which you want, and the other is for the glowplugs. Get the right one else the stuff will only work when you heat the plugs up:D
And theres no point in fitting a Tdi barrel, its just another key and Tdi's very rarely need warming up. And it exercises your finger and thumb anyway:D

Cheers, Ben

Well, success! I found two cables that came up into the dash tray. One was (black?) and live all the time, the other was the white one you had mentioned. Both just had a weird plug on the end. However I also found a green wire that was ignition switched, so i went for that one because it already had a nice plug that fitted straight onto the relay ;) anyone any ideas what thats for?!

Anyway, it's going well so far. The ignition switched power to the dash is working beautifully, the switches all have their 12 too.. Now I just need to unplug my old switches and plug in the new. Brilliant!

Pics of the new Mud Console with switches coming soon!

Thanks guys!

Not a clue what the green wire is for, not in the manaul either:D Is it a green wire coming from the ignition barrel or somewhere else:rolleyes:

Cheers, Ben

All of the wires I mentioned came straight out through the hole at the top of the dash tray (e.g. directly above the fusebox)

It looks pretty standard, can't work out what it'd be for though.. The rear wash/wipe is all fitted, the cig lighter is wired up, only other thing that's usually in that area is the clock.. But obviously that requires permanent! It was a pretty hefty wire, so probably could've coped with the small amount of power I'm drawing, but better to be safe than sorry eh? :)

bvudzichena, I should be able to get you some pictures tommorrow

Maybe it was there for some additional gauges or a radio then?? Who knows, all that matters is its there and it works:D

Cheers, Ben

I've looked in my wiring diagrams and I can't see a loose green wire passing through there.

IMHO if the green wire has a spade connector, it was probably added by a previous owner.

It's a spade connector with plastic surrounding, which looks identical to the ones for ciggy lighter, wash/wipe etc. But you're right, I couldn't find it either so it must've been added. Very handy though!

I've been stripping with my new 110 2.5NA this morning and I suspect it may have passed through Special Vehicles.

There are several wires in the loom coming up from the fuse box that I can't find anywhere in the wiring diagrams or workshop manual. The bullet and spade connectors are identical to the "normal" Land Rover connectors and the wires look as aged as the wires surrounding them.

I wouldn't of thought the wiring diagrams have the spare wires on them, it would just make it confusing when you were trying to find a fault with something.

Cheers, Ben

Back
Top Bottom