• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender ignition switched power supply

Ah you want pictures do you? :p

Sure, see attached. These are some terribly dodgy ones I took with my camera phone after I'd done it.

As you can see, CD player isn't in yet, and I've got a couple more gauges to fit (anyone know where to get a cheap circular clock for the middle?)

Firstly, you have a back plate which fits the shape of the dash (a sloped bit for where the vents are, and then a flat bit for the back of the tray) you hold it up, drill the holes, screw it in (the instructions were quite good btw, and fixings were provided)

Then the sides also screw in at the back/vents. Then the actual console just slides on, and screws on the sides and on the bottom (on the black bit underneath the tray, above the fuse box)

It's very sturdy! I'm very impressed with it. I love my switches too :)

Enjoy!
Laurie

Attachments

• IMAGE_00059.jpg
    IMAGE_00059.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAGE_00060.jpg
    IMAGE_00060.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMAGE_00061.jpg
    IMAGE_00061.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAGE_00063.jpg
    IMAGE_00063.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 31
You dont have to chop out the original facia bit do you?? Looked on the site you got that from and theres a piccy with a bit of the facia where the fag lighter/ rear window wash/ wipe is cut out. Did you cut your bit out? And where did you get your swtiches from, out of interest?

Cheers, Ben

Yep you have to cut it out IF you want any room to fit a radio :p

It worried me too but I'm never gonna take the damn thing out again so I wasn't that bothered. Upside down jigsawing inside your car is quite fun though!

The switches were from some random guy from America, who's link I picked up from some thread on here. If you want his email I'll dig it out... Damn good value because of the american exchange rate, and briliant switches.

They're all three way (bar the beacon) e.g. Driving lights are always on, always off, or on with full beam, and the rear flood lights is always on, always off, on with reverse.

If you put a radio in the top where your voltmeter gauge is you wouldn't have to cut it out though would you:rolleyes: I mean, you dont HAVE to cut the facia to put it in do you?

Cheers, Ben

You can put the radio in the bit where the voltmeter is, but remember that'll give you very restricted access for anything else in the console!

Why do you not want to cut the dash? It really looks quite neat even if you take the dash back out, not that you would; that would leave screw holes too..

It really works best if you put the radio right at the bottom.

Why would it restrict the access:confused: You'd still be able to get gauges in at the bottom and switches in the middle. And I don't like chopping stuff out:D

Cheers, Ben

Because, think about it.. You've got the head unit at an angle, pointing downwards; that doesn't leave very much room (would give you less than an inch) for switches and wiring. Whilst that doesnt sound too bad, just you wait until you have to wire the whole thing up. Well, in my case the switches are too big anyway.
Also I doubt the gauges would fit in the bottom without removing the dash. I know its bad to cut stuff up, I really was reluctant; but its really no harm! No reason why you'd ever take the console back out is there?

Ah you want pictures do you? :p

Sure, see attached. These are some terribly dodgy ones I took with my camera phone after I'd done it.

As you can see, CD player isn't in yet, and I've got a couple more gauges to fit (anyone know where to get a cheap circular clock for the middle?)

Firstly, you have a back plate which fits the shape of the dash (a sloped bit for where the vents are, and then a flat bit for the back of the tray) you hold it up, drill the holes, screw it in (the instructions were quite good btw, and fixings were provided)

Then the sides also screw in at the back/vents. Then the actual console just slides on, and screws on the sides and on the bottom (on the black bit underneath the tray, above the fuse box)

It's very sturdy! I'm very impressed with it. I love my switches too :)

Enjoy!
Laurie

Laurie - if you're still after a round clock i havegot a td5 one that i could chuck in with the steering wheel (eventually!). Takes a funny connection plug on the back that i haven't got and i don't have the securing ring, but i would have thought that a bead of silicone would hold it in place.
Haven't tested it but i've no reason to believe that it doesn't work.

James

Well aren't you just the answer to all my problems! That'd be briliant! (i'm sure I can work out what the funny plug is, eventually! Cheers mate.
Gimme an email when you manage to get the whole steering wheel thing worked out :D

Gauges will fit in the bottom with the panel with the faglighter/ wash wipe removed I would of thought. I just hate doing stuff thats irreversable:rolleyes: Poor truck, having a big chunk cut out like that:D
We'll see anyway:D

Cheers, Ben

Back
Top Bottom