• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Engine issue.

Yes, the blocks are the same. Everything else is different, all the innards, camshaft, head etc. Unless it's 5brg, then petrol and diesel cranks are the same. Both forged, and not cast. 3brg petrol cranks are cast, 3brg diesel cranks are forged.

I don't know enough about those old 2.25 engines, but you saying that is quite possible, I'm pretty certain/positive the old 6 pot Bedford engines the 300 petrol and the 330 diesel had the same block and was just a question of swapping all the relevant bits, so there probably no reason why that wasn't the case

I don't know enough about those old 2.25 engines, but you saying that is quite possible, I'm pretty certain/positive the old 6 pot Bedford engines the 300 petrol and the 330 diesel had the same block and was just a question of swapping all the relevant bits, so there probably no reason why that wasn't the case
It's why as a petrol it's pretty much indestructible. That being said, I've seen it done.šŸ˜‘

I've heard it like I said, it's a shame they don't do things like that today, no luck on those heads fella either, the guy did contact me but his mate who wanted them is in Canada and was worried about the weight for postage, I think if that of been me that would of been my first thought!!

Hi Mikeau.They are the same, but a 5 bearing would be preferred in a diesel if you have the choice.I was hoping to re-use my bits as they are all in good order and tolerance.

Thanks for that Stan The Man.I've just seen a Santana block on eBay which is 2.25 litre, new old stock.It uses timing gears rather than chain drive.Anybody know if the gears fit the end of a standard five bearing crank or would I have trouble sourcing bits to fit it.The ad says the timing gears are the only difference.And would my 10j bits including the head swap over and I just have to find new timing gears?Any thoughts?

Sorry its late, I mentioned an engine last night a mate of mine has, I think he's quite happy to let it go, crafty old git didn't let on a price at the moment, he's not going to vouch for its integrity as like I think i said last night it has sat outside for a number of years albeit under a bonnet, if you really are interested I'll pursue it further and we can go from there, we're in East Kent between Canterbury and Folkestone and the effort will on your hand to remove the engine but I can't see he's going to be able to charge the earth for it although he'll think its worth 10 grand and a night with your wife, let me know

Thanks for the post Stevebus.Sounds like a possibility.Could do with an engine number and knowing if it turns.Lot of work getting it out and finding it's a dud. Did you see my post about the Santana block? Can't seem to find out anything about it, especially why it's called that.Nothing to do with our old friend Carlos I suspect!

I did see your post fella, I'm going to say I don't know enough about the engines in that model only to say I thought it was a fancy name added to a series 3 with plenty of windows and honestly thought they were the 2.5 N/A engines, if I'm wrong that'll give you even more of an idea how much I know about them, I'll try and get an engine over the weekend for you and go from there, all the best fella, sorry about the little quip about the daffodils it's just my misses did an old engine block painted it purple and put pansies in it, I'll never tell her but it did look quite quirky and every bastard commented on it, I've now got wood burning stoves, milk churns and what have you supporting any amount of floral displays, I'll be in touch

That's good to hear.It means I'm not the only daft bastard who thinks a milk churn and a pig feeding trough along with a dozen chimney pots from every chimney I demolished over my working career look good in the garden with flowers poking out of them.Theres even a 2 foot diameter salt glazed sewer pipe on end, and a wrought iron hay bar.I told the missus they're 'unique and eclectic ' and fortunately she believes me!šŸ˜

Santana @mitchalan are Land Rovers built under licence in Spain. I seem to remember that a certain company who package in blue boxes purchased the stock of Santana parts when they stopped with the series stuffs.

They made a very interesting 6 cyl diesel.

Logically a Santana engine should be the same parts wise....Zeus used to do a timing gear conversion for the 2.25. The question you need an answer to is, is the Santana block 3 or 5brg? If it has timing gears already, and a crank....? If it's a 3brg block your 5brg crank ain't gonna fit anyway!

Interesting history to the Santana, worth a read. They started out assembling CKD kits shipped from the UK, but over the years they started making more and more of their own parts, many of them re-engineered (and better). I dont know that Santana made their own engines though, so theres a good chance they were made and shipped from the UK..? Certainly worth investigating.

Thanks for your replies everyone.I think the next thing to do would be message the seller and see if there's a number on the block I can reference.If it's a five bearing and I can buy the gear conversion and a new camshaft etc.it could be the way forward.Less effort and expense than stripping a worn engine and rebuilding with all the associated machining and parts costs.Very grateful for the info on the Santana Big Sandy.Theres nothing on the website about it.Going back to my garden, there's a concrete greyhound by the front door to ward off evil spirits.Well Jehovah's Witnesses anyway.Seems to work!(No offence to any JW's out there, we've all got to believe in something however obscure).

It won't let me open the link for whatever reason but I'm assuming by that, the copyright bit someone's swiped the idea from land rover, around that time Franco was running the show, he wouldn't have given a toss

Back
Top Bottom