• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now
Fancy A Bit Of Modelling?

Stories Fancy A Bit Of Modelling?

alisterg

Trekker
alisterg submitted a new resource:

Fancy A Bit Of Modelling? - Airfix Series III LWB

As previously confessed, I do a bit of railway modelling when not fixing Land Rovers.

On a railway modelling forum I frequent, we were discussing the fact that there are very few 1/76 or 1/72 scale models of civilian Land Rovers around, particularly the short wheelbase Series 2, 2A and 3 hardtop, which were the ubiquitous farmers' vehicle for at least 25 years from 1960 to 1985, and probably later.

Oxford Diecast do a Series 1 SWB, but unless you are modelling the very early 60s, it is...

Read more about this resource...

Wish it that 'simple' to convert the real thing eh?

Great stuff! I think I might have one of those kits in a box somewhere... Didn't revell buy out all the Airfix moulds? So, the kit may have been physically cast last month but the actual tooling is pretty much past it.

You made a great job of it Al!

Wonderful...
I'm amazed at the amount of detail you modelling fella's go to, who'd have thought that building a model kit would involve maths !!
My dad was a keen modeller, I have happy memories of him in the 70's building a model of HMS Victory and the swearing he did doing the rigging :D
He'd wanted a model of the Cutty Sark because it was his Dad's tugboat (called Plodder) that helped put it into the dry dock where it lives now :) This thread may be the inspiration I need to have a go myself during the cold wet bit of winter. I doubt I could ever go to that level of detail but I'm confident I could do the swearing :)
Well done.

The Airfix kit is not as old as you think. There was a SWB Land Rover with the Bloodhound, but the one you used was originally a limited production kit produced by JB Models about 15 years ago. When the owner retired Airfix bought the moulds. There is also a 101 FC GS and Radio Van in the same series

If you are into models go to Minature Wunderland in Hamburg. Took the lad last week and its incredible. The vehicles are HO scale so about 2" long, they indicate for turns and stop lights and headlights go one when its night (every half hour). They also drive off and self doc for charging. The planes land and taxi and the taxi lights are correct for the stand, the air bridge docks and the bus, crew bus and catering trucks come and go. There no visible tracks but there is a huge bank of computers. We paid extra for a "behind the scenes" tour and I still don't know how it works. We got there at 10 and and left at 10:30 pm, its open until 1am!

I found myself looking at a few Land Rover models at the weekend...
PXL_20231105_102945986~2.jpg

PXL_20231105_103320227.jpg

The look on the station wagon driver's face speaks volumes.
PXL_20231105_103325599~2.jpg

Same here. And often used to shoot them with an air pistol straight after. They were definitely much cheaper then or my folks would've gone garrity.

Still build them from time to time.
My mum used to work for Airfix Tri-ang many years ago ..i would get different airplane models every week ..times i would stick me fingers together ā€¦little pots of paint and a brush included..memories šŸ™‚

Same here. And often used to shoot them with an air pistol straight after. They were definitely much cheaper then or my folks would've gone garrity.

Still build them from time to time.
Ah yes, that brings back memories of my epic 'Sink the Bismark' adventure on Dad's goldfish pond; complete with low level air pistol torpedo hits, and the grand finale banger explosion! :evilplan: Managed to crack the pond liner too. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom