• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Going tubeless.

I went tubeless years ago on std rims with no ridge...prob well over 10 years...never had a prob...so big deal you get a flat...the tyre goes into the well.

what do you think would happen if you got a flat with an inner tube in...yes it would behave just like my tubeless....and tubeless get far less punchers anyway.

Just do it you wont look back...more reliable as far less punchers due the self sealing aspect of tubeless tyres...and save a fair bit of weight fron not having 5 heavy tubes.

Repair your own with mushroom plugs off ebay.

Nick.

Nick - you are right about tubed tyres still going into the well, I've had high speed punctures on old style rims (not on a series) with tubes and the tyres are a right mess by the time I got stopped. The beads come off and the tyres go to one side, very hard to control. Had same with tubless (modern) rims and the beads stay on, so you have just a bit more time.

I would say that sums up my understanding. I'm running tubed rims with tubeless tyres with tubes in.

Complete digression but on trials bikes they drill the tyre and poke the valve stem through the sidewall so the tyre can slip on the rim without damaging the tube, and those good 'ol boys in NASCAR run two tubes side by side in the same tyre with the outboard harder so they get even wear on the banking - really smart. But it shows what you can do with good quality tubes.

Post 7 in the above link is perplexing: he states that tubes can be fitted to tubeless tyres, (agree), but only in combination with tubed type rims... WHAT?? Why not to tubeless rims?, what does he think is the difference as far as fitting tubes is? Never heard that before and can't for the life of me figure it out.
Paddocks still not replied; how busy can they be?

I may have misread post 7. I wonder if it is because its hard to push the tyre beads over the ridge? I've had tubes put in tubeless tyres to fix a puncture - OK it was years ago and maybe its no longer legal but it used to be a common quick fix.

The ETRTO produce the European Std for rims and tyres, its pricy document but the 2003 version has been posted to the web:
xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/7652567/640370299/name/manual.pdf
I doubt the info we need has changed. Its about 300 pages, but R9-R12 look relevent. There's a note on R9 (note 1) which says only fit tubeless tyres to tubeless rims, but this could be because they don't seal on tubed rims, it's not clear why. Very clearly shows the rim profiles and differences.

The ETRTO produce the European Std for rims and tyres, its pricy document but the 2003 version has been posted to the web:
xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/7652567/640370299/name/manual.pdf
I doubt the info we need has changed. Its about 300 pages, but R9-R12 look relevent. There's a note on R9 (note 1) which says only fit tubeless tyres to tubeless rims, but this could be because they don't seal on tubed rims, it's not clear why. Very clearly shows the rim profiles and differences.

Thanks for this Rob, enlightening and at the same time frustrating: The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation (!!) I wonder if there is such an organisation for ashtrays and cup-holders?
Anyway, that section at R9 or is it R8? seems to answer an important question: the EU doesn't like us fitting tubeless tyres to tubed rims.

I suspect the ETRTO standards are the basis for the tyre fitter training so it will be the same info. I've just looked at my tyres - I have 235/85 BFG A/T with tubes on what I belive are 109 or early Defender/110 rims. These are clearly tubed rims (no ridge) . The tyre sidewall says "Tubeless" and " must be fitted to rim designed for radials", which probably means with a lip, but this is a US "tire" and it doesn't say whether its about sealing or stability. My set up works well (tubeless tyres with tubes on tubed rims) and seems to be the same as LR used for a while but looking at that note about "radial rims" I would always run tubes to be sure of a seal if the tyre bead moved.

Ended up ringing Paddocks and confirmed that the Modular wheels are: the tubeless variety, they will suit 750Rx16 tyres and the valve size is TR14, (the smaller, more common type). I have ordered 5 wheels.
In the mean time: I have repaired my punctured tube and refitted it so I am back in the land of the legal. Looking forward to getting the new rims and fitting the 2 new Michelins that are waiting.

New%20Modular%20wheels_zpscsiimwlc.jpg

The new wheels arrived this afternoon, they don't look too bad. I was going to spray them Limestone but when I saw they had a ring of chromed rivets around them, I didn't bother, not wanting to spoil them, (the rivets).
Truckcab is right: they do fill the wheel arches nicely.

Back
Top Bottom