• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Google Map SAS headquarters

So every person/tourist who walks through Bourton is invading your privacy then? If the public have a view of your property you have NO privacy, end of story. Sorry but that is the hard fact which we all have to accept!! The only thing they do not have a right to do is enter your property, and eyeballing is not entry.

The problem I have with it, is that it just makes it too easy. If someone wanted to wonder the streets to find the a certain car/informantion etc, it would take them ages. With these images, postcodes etc on-line it takes hours to research something, that would have taken months before. Also searching on-line is anonymous. I live in a quiet area, if you saw someone taking a bit of interest in a property, it would raise an eyebrow in our street.

But it isn't live or even up-to-date.
It is atleast 9 months old!!!

If someone wants to "check out" your house do you really think they are going to sit at a computer screen and look? No, they are not. If they are that interested they will nick a plumbers van or something and drive along looking from that, and no-one would be in the least interested in them.
House crime is mostly "spontaneous" and not preplanned; some scrote sees a window/door open and quickly grabs, nothing more than that.

If this system was liable to cause so many problems do you really think the likes of MoD, BNFL, or anyone else like that would have allowed it to happen? StreetView is a nice little toy at the moment, nothing more than that.

Cloning cars is easier done in any car park, as often they are looking to match a car that they already have stolen. Google street view would mean a lot of trawling to find the vehicle that matches what they have stolen, they are not interested in your address when it comes to the cloning...as that would raise suspicion as to why it is been sold from a different location.

Plus, as mentioned, street view is not live, not a lot of point in cloning a car that has been written off 2 months before, but still shows upon the street view, as any hpi check would show it as written off.....

My family love Google Earth and street view. On Sunday I went to collect some parts in Kent from a fellow forum member , a 10 hour round trip from here, so unsuitable to take my two little'uns with me. They were quite upset about this and they missed out on seeing things like the dartford bridge/tunnel etc. However, when I got back I simply took them through a virtual tour of my journey on street view over the bridge and through the tunnel, showed them where I'd been etc. They loved it and learnt a few things at the same time.

My 5 five year old is now a dab hand at using street view and she took herself on a virtual tour of London over the weekend. She had been studying the great fire in school and she wanted to see pudding lane and london bridge etc. My wife and I had to explain at length that the buildings there now were not the new ones they built immediately after the fire..... she still has a problem understanding time in decades or centuries! :)

I have some concerns over privacy, particularly as our friends Mercedes had been filmed outside our house and its number plate had not been disguised as should it have been. Also the fact that the camera is mounted high up, far higher than any car or even van driving position which means it shows images of peoples gardens behind high fences. These would not normally be visible to anybody walking past or driving past. As mentioned above, any criminals now have an easier time planning which houses look like they have wealthy occupants, easy access to rear, type of windows, lock locations, alarm types etc, etc. My rural village has a keen neighborhood watch and any stranger walking up or down the street is recorded. Anybody looking suspicious is reported. Now they have remote access to gather information instead. It is unlikely to be car theft but more likely burglary that benefits from this technology.

But it isn't live or even up-to-date.
It is atleast 9 months old!!!

If someone wants to "check out" your house do you really think they are going to sit at a computer screen and look? No, they are not. If they are that interested they will nick a plumbers van or something and drive along looking from that, and no-one would be in the least interested in them.
House crime is mostly "spontaneous" and not preplanned; some scrote sees a window/door open and quickly grabs, nothing more than that.

If this system was liable to cause so many problems do you really think the likes of MoD, BNFL, or anyone else like that would have allowed it to happen? StreetView is a nice little toy at the moment, nothing more than that.

We live on a private estate so they went straight passed us but I was surprised to see one of my boats in the river on there that couldn't be seen from the road. It had been up loaded by someone as a user picture and I was even more surprised to see a comment from my son who'd worked on it!

I hope we gave them back!!! it was 20 odd years ago. (I was with the ACE Mobile Force Signal Squadron at Tidworth, half of them were ex 259 (SAS) Sig Sqn.....come to think of it I doubt the ACE Mobile Force still exists, it was a Cold War Formation so with the Cuts etc it has probably gone, still brings a tear to my eye when I pass Jellalabad Barracks on my way to play on the Plain.

I hope we gave them back!!! it was 20 odd years ago. (I was with the ACE Mobile Force Signal Squadron at Tidworth, half of them were ex 259 (SAS) Sig Sqn.....come to think of it I doubt the ACE Mobile Force still exists, it was a Cold War Formation so with the Cuts etc it has probably gone, still brings a tear to my eye when I pass Jellalabad Barracks on my way to play on the Plain.

family member used to work with airbourne signals at aldershot 20odd yrs ago, then reassigned to hereford. retired now

ooops I meant 264 Sig Sqn.......259 was the cushy Sig Sqn at the Akrotiri end of Cyprus. (I think!!!!!!!!! been drinking a bit of Jim Beam lately to calm my nerves for the Big National Lampoons European Holiday - that,s what I,m calling it anyway!!!!)

Back
Top Bottom