• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Historic Vehicle Application

Beanbag

In Third Gear
Hello. A bit of assistance please. Our S3 88" is now 40 years old and we can apply to have it registered as an Historic Vehicle in April.
Am getting contradicting advice on the procedure. As ours will be one of the last Series L/R's to qualify being 1983, I guess that most of you have already done this.
Would someone kindly talk me through the process. Thanks

Very simple.

MOT you just don’t need one if your vehicle is original (check the rules if you’re not sure). Only thing that’s a bit disconcerting is that if you do an MOT check it comes up as not having one (then a disclaimer that says it may not need it or something).

Yes, this is a Post Office task, and it's one the staff will not be familiar with. Don't let them fob you off, it can be done (and I think can only be done) at a Post Office, just keep insisting until they find a button on the system to have the V5C sent off for updating. Take with you all the forms listed in the link above, and just keep at them with the V5 until they send it off. It'll then come back within a week or two with Historic Vehicle status, and the tax will drop to £0 annually.

If your landys taxed you may have to cancel it and reapply as you could only change the taxation class when taxing it this may have changed now but a friendly post office will know

Yes, this is a Post Office task, and it's one the staff will not be familiar with. Don't let them fob you off, it can be done (and I think can only be done) at a Post Office, just keep insisting until they find a button on the system to have the V5C sent off for updating. Take with you all the forms listed in the link above, and just keep at them with the V5 until they send it off. It'll then come back within a week or two with Historic Vehicle status, and the tax will drop to £0 annually.

And make sure you keep copies of everything, especially the V5c, before you send it off so if anything goes missing you have some back up. David

You could put it on a SORN just before the end of the month to get a refund, this also buys you some time to get the tax class changed, then take it off SORN on line and tax it as historic. I think there is a separate form for V5 amendments and as said above, most Post Offices will claim it doesn't exist.

Ours was first registered on 12/4 1983, so we ill try our district Post Office.
Luckily they are very friendly and helpful. It is taxed until 02/24 and MOt until 13/11/24.
I will report back with our progress.
Thanks again for all your help.😀

From the DVLA website:

Historic vehicle tax exemption​

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2023 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1983. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay
Oh well guess I’ve got it wrong then . We’ll see what comes back .
My S3 is first registered May 1983.

From the DVLA website:

Historic vehicle tax exemption​

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2023 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1983. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay
And you can update that now to:-

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2024 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1984. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay - the amount of tax due being £0.00, i.e., zero rated but not exempt.

And you can update that now to:-

You can apply to stop paying for vehicle tax from 1 April 2024 if your vehicle was built before 1 January 1984. You must tax your vehicle even if you do not have to pay - the amount of tax due being £0.00, i.e., zero rated but not exempt.
Thanks . So guess I’ve applied too early then ☹️

My P.O. has told me to come back in April, and he will also be in a better mood to help as he is being inundated
with premature requests.
April it is then.
Will let you know in 4 months
Thanks all 😃 😃

Back
Top Bottom