• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Historic Vehicle Application

Hello. A bit of assistance please. Our S3 88" is now 40 years old and we can apply to have it registered as an Historic Vehicle in April.
Am getting contradicting advice on the procedure. As ours will be one of the last Series L/R's to qualify being 1983, I guess that most of you have already done this.
Would someone kindly talk me through the process. Thanks
I'm with you all the way on this, as my vehicle was registered in Nov '83. We could be 'Tax buddies'! :)

Just don't mention the words 'Post Office' :mad:

^^^^
Sssh , ( the met police are investigating . Only took them 10 years to notice something was wrong .I will be long gone before a conclusion is reached}
All we want now is the road tax to be included in the price of petrol. That would settle the avoidance issue but screw the historic car owners.

To jump back on the thread, I'm a bit confused...
To quote from the document on the UK government website (which seems slightly more updated than the current DVLA pages):

"...a vehicle registered in February 1983 will be eligible to tax as a historic vehicle from 1 April 2024".
But the current DVLA wording says:
"If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1983, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2023".
Which if transposed it would suggest:
"If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1984, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2024".

1) Does this mean that a vehicle registered in November 1983 will be tax exempt after 1 April 2024 - or not?
2) Will I still need to fill in a form and change the taxation class from "PLG" to "Historic" even though I don't want the MOT exemption (because it's stupid and dangerous)?
3) Can this only be done via "a Post-Office that deals with car tax" and paper forms sent by snail-mail?

1) Does this mean that a vehicle registered in November 1983 will be tax exempt after 1 April 2024 - or not?
Yes it will.

If a vehicle was built or registered before 8th January 40 years prior, then it becomes tax exempt from 1st April 40 years later. January is the qualifying month, so if not built or registered until after 8th Jan, then the qualifying month becomes January the following year. The tax exemption is 40 years after the qualifying month.

2) Will I still need to fill in a form and change the taxation class from "PLG" to "Historic" even though I don't want the MOT exemption (because it's stupid and dangerous)?
Yes, for tax exemption. The MOT exemption has nothing to do with taxation status. MOT exemption is by default; you don't have to apply for it. Just MOT it if you want to.

3) Can this only be done via "a Post-Office that deals with car tax"
As far as I know, yes

Last edited:
The tricky subject is apparently causing frustration at both the Post Office and the DVLA. The DVLA's guidance is super-confusing as the Post Office were no longer going to provide any counter services for the DVLA from April 24, but the Post Office have apparently agree to continue on a 1 year contract with DVLA.

This video explains what you need to do:

When I applied for historic status for my 109 recently I inadvertently sent the whole lot to the dvla instead of going to the post office.
As there was a colour change as well I sent it to that relevant postcode.
When I phoned them to find out the progress I was told the colour change was registered but as I sent it to the wrong department the tax status change had been rejected and I had to redo it and send it back to the correct postcode.
2 days later I got a new V5 with all the changes logged.......

My perception of the DVLA:

Problem is, the DVLA is a big government department located in a large site in Wales, staffed by lazy bar stewards who since Covid, prefer to 'work from home' (watch the telly), and have very little interest in doing the job they're employed to do, and much less interest in doing it conscientiously and diligently. Familiarising themselves with the rules and regulations that they are there to administrate, so that they have the answers and remedies to the customers' needs is not a 'thing' as it would require effort that goes above and beyond the normal routine of sitting on their arse consuming sweets and cake, occasionally being interrupted by a 'nuisance' telephone call from a 'customer' to which their scripted response hardly covers even the basic variations of the enquiries presented them. Meanwhile, the postman adds to an ever growing pile of unanswered paperwork back at the actual partially staffed workplace. Absent communication between call handlers and paper shufflers exacerbates the already pitiful "service" making it all a bit of a lottery on what result you're likely to get.

My perception of the DVLA:

Problem is, the DVLA is a big government department located in a large site in Wales, staffed by lazy bar stewards who since Covid, prefer to 'work from home' (watch the telly), and have very little interest in doing the job they're employed to do, and much less interest in doing it conscientiously and diligently. Familiarising themselves with the rules and regulations that they are there to administrate, so that they have the answers and remedies to the customers' needs is not a 'thing' as it would require effort that goes above and beyond the normal routine of sitting on their arse consuming sweets and cake, occasionally being interrupted by a 'nuisance' telephone call from a 'customer' to which their scripted response hardly covers even the basic variations of the enquiries presented them. Meanwhile, the postman adds to an ever growing pile of unanswered paperwork back at the actual partially staffed workplace. Absent communication between call handlers and paper shufflers exacerbates the already pitiful "service" making it all a bit of a lottery on what result you're likely to get.
Sounds very much like dealing with the HMRC. They'll only communicate via an authoritative letter in a brown envelope, for which they'll demand an immediate response (even though it's dated 12 days earlier). If there is even a minuscule discrepancy it is your fault unless you can prove otherwise. The most annoying thing is they will only accept ELECTRONIC copies of invoices and receipts, and they have to be sent by recorded mail on a USB memory stick which is NON RETURNABLE, apparently for data protection reasons. :mad:

At least our caring sharing government are on the ball with something today, yee!

Screenshot_2024-04-01_16-06-22.jpg

Maybe it's just the, usual, sloppy wording but does this mean that from April this year if the vehicle is over 40 years old the tax does not need to be renewed? I thought we had to renew the tax, in the historic class, every year but at zero cost. David
It says at the bottom in "what you have to do", i.e. "apply for a vehicle tax exemption". As you say, it fails to say that you still have to renew each year at £0

Maybe it's just the, usual, sloppy wording but does this mean that from April this year if the vehicle is over 40 years old the tax does not need to be renewed? I thought we had to renew the tax, in the historic class, every year but at zero cost. David
According to the small print if you already pay by direct debit you wont have to renew it.

Back
Top Bottom