• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Landrover 90 o/s Headlight problem

Gavin Williams

In Second Gear
Hi
I have just picked up a 1990 Defender 90 and have a problem with the o/s headlight. It wont work on dipped but is fine on main beam. I have checked the fuse and it appears ok, I have swapped the sealed units and it works when in the n/s and the working n/s unit wont work when in the o/s. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Is it an earth issue? Lighting stalk? Wiring????
Help

Its not earth problem as it would use other filament as an earth path, and you would get a dull glow from headlamp, you need to trace wire back to see where 12v supply fails will most likely be blue with red line .HTSH

cheers will have a look along the wiring. Is there an easier way to access the wires that come out of the bulkhead and follow the inside of the wing?

I had the same problem and replacing the headlamp unit didn't fix it. I had a feel around for the wires that go into the wing / headlamp unit and just generally gave them a good wiggle about and it has worked ever since - that was a year ago.. :)

The headlamp connector was OK so I just hit it lucky I guess. It may just be a dry connection and I don't suggest you bodge it like me but I can't bring myself to disturb the wiring when it works.

The wires are one piece from the back of the fuse box (common problem area) to a bunch of bullet connectors in the front of the wing. It's not unlikely that one of these has corroded a bit and is making a bad connection.

Back
Top Bottom