• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Longer range

ava_banana

Accelerating Away
Hi all,

Loving my Series 3, loving the V8, don't mind the poor mpg as the smiles-per-mile are what I wanted :)

Only small fly in the V8 ointment is the 100 mile between fuel stops, it's getting a bit embarrassing. Last night i was in a hurry so made sure i had a 20l fuel cannister with me when i went out as i knew it was low.....and ran out....was in a hurry, it was dark, i forgot my tank has the extending filler neck and i poured petrol all over my training shorts, leg and feet (on way to Krav Maga training) just getting a few litres into the tank....it then ran out in the car park as i was parking it at my destination. Filled it up after training using the extending filler neck and all was well (that works really well, i didn't spill a drop!).

Any suggestions for carrying more fuel - would prefer not to have fuel canisters on the outside of the vehicle (or rattling around inside), but it's an option.

Dual tank? - perhaps remove the under-passenger-seat storage and put another tank in? - easy enough to do in a series 3?

did a search (poorly) and didn't find a lot of recent advice.......what have you done to extend your range? (if anything)

The dual tank set up would seem to suit your needs.
All easy to do if you are happy with the underseat fill (military) type tank.
With a bit of skill and ingenuity, you can fit a civvy type tank with an external filler on the NS.
Fiddley to do apparently, but you don't have to pull everything out of the way to fill up.
And you don't have to pay the extortionate price of a pattern military type tank either.
Don't get talked into buying one of those terrible military change-over tap things.
Twin cheapo electric fuel pumps on a switch, ditto for the sender units.
Only problem is where do you put the battery ?

The dual tank set up would seem to suit your needs.
All easy to do if you are happy with the underseat fill (military) type tank.
With a bit of skill and ingenuity, you can fit a civvy type tank with an external filler on the NS.
Fiddley to do apparently, but you don't have to pull everything out of the way to fill up.
And you don't have to pay the extortionate price of a pattern military type tank either.
Don't get talked into buying one of those terrible military change-over tap things.
Twin cheapo electric fuel pumps on a switch, ditto for the sender units.
Only problem is where do you put the battery ?
My battery is already installed in a box on the bench seat behind the drivers seat (am not entirely convinced this is the best place for it, but it's plumbed in there, so will stay there for the foreseeable future).

What would you do, have the switch between the two pumps and have a Y pipe with two non-returns in?

What would you do, have the switch between the two pumps and have a Y pipe with two non-returns in?
Good question.
I've got an idea that the valving in the range rover type ( pattern Facet clone) electric pumps won't allow fuel to flow in the reverse direction, but I'm not 100% certain.
If they do leak back, then yes, go to non return valves

I run twin under seat tanks (one each side) as its a diesel it needs a return so I have it set to run off one tank as the main and the other tank as a reserve. There's a transfer pipe and electric fuel pump so I can pump from the reserve tank to the main. Both tanks have senders and I have a change over switch so i can read either tank. Its simple and works.
You can get boat fuel valves that changeover and have the wiring for the senders built in. Pollack do them:

šŸ˜ŽAs well as the above solutions to fuel capacity/storage also check you have no leaks and that you're not running massively rich. A tweak of the timing can often gain an mpg or two. You may be able to adjust your fuel gauge to more accurately reflect what's actually in the tank.

Another simple but effective modification is to put a drawing pin or nail through the sole of your right shoe ;)

šŸ˜ŽAs well as the above solutions to fuel capacity/storage also check you have no leaks and that you're not running massively rich. A tweak of the timing can often gain an mpg or two. You may be able to adjust your fuel gauge to more accurately reflect what's actually in the tank.

Another simple but effective modification is to put a drawing pin or nail through the sole of your right shoe ;)
Yes, all good points, the filler rubber pipe looked ropy, as does the breather pipe and i've got new ones of those, just need to fit it. I also need to look at the integrity of the cork seal on the filler cap. Unfortunately, i had adjusted the fuel gauge float..........but was hoping i had a "little reserve"......but i've adjusted it to be absoutely accurate, when it says empty.....its empty.

No drawing pins.........i like the noise and expeditiousness!!

.........and yes, timing was done "by ear" as can't find any timing marks on any pulleys anywhere, and the SU balance is out....again....so there's those to adjust. :)

i run twin military tanks (mine is military so i didnt install it) with the simple tap and not had issues with that. not sure what fittings would be needed but i can have look where its mounted and get some photos when i am under there next.
perhaps you could fit a secondary tank under the tub? its a lot of unused space there but i dont know how you would fill it.

aside from a general tune up, which is never a bad idea, have you looked into the ashcroft high ratio box? i have one on mine with a tired 2.25 and big tyres, and my only issue is that it would be better with a bit more power to use. i always thought it would be a great combo with a V8. the last petrol i had without it was running 14-16mpg, currently i am getting 25-28mpg and the current engine is in a worse state. i doubt it would affect the smiles any either, with the 2.25 the only real difference is needing a little more space to accelerate.

i run twin military tanks (mine is military so i didnt install it) with the simple tap and not had issues with that. not sure what fittings would be needed but i can have look where its mounted and get some photos when i am under there next.
perhaps you could fit a secondary tank under the tub? its a lot of unused space there but i dont know how you would fill it.

aside from a general tune up, which is never a bad idea, have you looked into the ashcroft high ratio box? i have one on mine with a tired 2.25 and big tyres, and my only issue is that it would be better with a bit more power to use. i always thought it would be a great combo with a V8. the last petrol i had without it was running 14-16mpg, currently i am getting 25-28mpg and the current engine is in a worse state. i doubt it would affect the smiles any either, with the 2.25 the only real difference is needing a little more space to accelerate.
to be fair, it's got a fairy overdrive on it, so it's good for 70+. Its just the tank seems so small for the consumption that i will get (and don't mind too much). Yes please if you get the opportunity for a picture or two - tank mounting - pipework etc.

I've also considered the higher ratio diffs from an early disco or rangie, just wanted to increase the tanks too.

Fuel tap parts etc are in optional equipment catalogue.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Change over fuel tap parts.JPG
    Change over fuel tap parts.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Fueltap parts 2.JPG
    Fueltap parts 2.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 14
I think the problem with the LR taps is they have cork seals so they dry out and leak, and they are very pricey now (AKA "rare..."). I'll second the comments about look for leaks. I used to drive an old car that did 20 mpg, then 18, then 12, then I found a puddle of petrol under the tank. It was winter and it had been raining for weeks so I hadn't realized.

I think a second tank is the best, although you'll need the extra outrigger welding on if its not already there.
Yes, this is under consideration - i need to learn to weld, have now purchased a welder and some of the gear, just need to start practicing!

And yes.....need to fit the new filler pipe. I filled up last night and went back out half an hour later and didn't see anything under the vehicle, but the interior stinks of fuel (as always) so i think the filler rubber pipe or vent pipe is weeping.

I've fitted twin civvy tanks to mine if you want a photo. It needed a left hand front outrigger welding on, holes in the seatbox and mid bulkhead in a slightly different place to the other side so don' just mirror what is there but instead cut to fit what is needed. The filler assembly is in the identical mirror position though. Main problem is you have to fabricate the curved filler hose as the standard one is handed obviously. I used sections of silicone hose and alloy joiners.
Or you could go to a LPG kit if you have room for a torpedo in the back.

Regarding the welding. If you have not welded before this may not be the ideal practice job. You may find it easier to prepare the chassis and get a mobile welder/fabricator to weld it on. Much as I hate to say it, even after hours of practice I can't come close to their standard.

I've fitted twin civvy tanks to mine if you want a photo. It needed a left hand front outrigger welding on, holes in the seatbox and mid bulkhead in a slightly different place to the other side so don' just mirror what is there but instead cut to fit what is needed. The filler assembly is in the identical mirror position though. Main problem is you have to fabricate the curved filler hose as the standard one is handed obviously. I used sections of silicone hose and alloy joiners.
Or you could go to a LPG kit if you have room for a torpedo in the back.
thanks, and yes, would love to see the pics if possible.
I'd probably go with a connecting pipe and separate pump to use the second tank and fill from the top through the seat rather than have a filler each side.

It had LPG when i got it, but filling stations are few and far between for me, and as it's only for fun and running around in, i will rarely ever pass an lpg filling station, so removed it and sold it :)

Regarding the welding. If you have not welded before this may not be the ideal practice job. You may find it easier to prepare the chassis and get a mobile welder/fabricator to weld it on. Much as I hate to say it, even after hours of practice I can't come close to their standard.
Yes, fair comment....the welding is a longer term learn for me, although i was hoping outriggers would be large and obvious and not too complicated :) no rush though, i'll keep a jerry can with me :)

Back
Top Bottom