• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Longer range

Yes, fair comment....the welding is a longer term learn for me, although i was hoping outriggers would be large and obvious and not too complicated :) no rush though, i'll keep a jerry can with me :)
The problem with welding for me is I get good enough (I’m never very good) by the time I’ve finished the job but don’t retain the skill so I have to relearn each time.

went back out to the landy and remembered i said i would get some photo's. completely forgot i said i would, though the parts book diagrams are probably more use. anyway, here they are complete with a lot of mud.

Attachments

• GEDC1489.JPG
    GEDC1489.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 15
  • GEDC1490.JPG
    GEDC1490.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 14
  • GEDC1491.JPG
    GEDC1491.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 14
  • GEDC1492.JPG
    GEDC1492.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 17
Jetwash that mud of ASAP, it stays damp in the gap between the tank and outrigger and also it can build up between the tank and chassis. It looks dry on the outside but can stay wet and do a great job of corroding through the tank or chassis.

If its of any interest in this discussion, Ive just spotted that LRDirect have a military type fuel tank on clearance;

I was given a military tank a good few years ago now. I was more rotten than the one I had though. Think I buried it in the garden when I "re-landscaped". Clearly should have kept the ultra rare ex sas pink panther cap for the tank!

I just had a thought that if you only do long runs occasionally, then you may be able to get away with a jerry can in the load area with a dip tube fitted. -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132019851474?epid=1824990792&hash=item1ebcff10d2:g:DYMAAOSweLte7ZQM

This would allow you to use that as a back-up tank if needed, provided it was well secured in a fixed frame & strap. You would just need a change-over valve then, which could be a manual 3 way ball valve, and probably a vent tube to the outside world.

But I still think a second proper tank is a better long term solution for you.

I was given a military tank a good few years ago now. I was more rotten than the one I had though. Think I buried it in the garden when I "re-landscaped". Clearly should have kept the ultra rare ex sas pink panther cap for the tank!
Start digging, it could still be better then this one:

Start digging, it could still be better then this one:
That's the trouble when stuff starts getting rare - prices go silly.
From what I've read on this thread so far, adding a second tank is going to cost £400-£500 if you have to pay a welder to add the extra outrigger.
I think I'd just buy an extra couple of Jerry cans and holders myself

Pics of my second tank filler. Blue hose is the silicone with joiner. I think I needed a reducing 90 and another 90 elbow with alloy coupler. May have to check that. Pic reminds me I still need to fit the splash plate for it as it is in the rear wheel arch.
FT1.jpegFT2.jpegFT3.jpeg

I've read that you can use a standard LR fuel "sock" if you cut it in half in the middle, then use a short band of steel tube and two jubilee clips to join it back together at 180° from where it was originally.
Not tried it myself yet.
I fitted a Britpart item in the standard position.
Took about 3 hours of uttering profanities and getting grazed knuckles, but I got there eventually

Do LHD 88's have the fuel tank in the same place? They must have differently handed springs if they do. if not, couldn't you use a LHD tank? I'm guessing that being a Land Rover, the tank never moved for LHD

If its of any interest in this discussion, Ive just spotted that LRDirect have a military type fuel tank on clearance;
Cheers........hmmm, i'll have to have a think about that as it's still a bit spendy.

Back
Top Bottom