• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Melted hand brake cable!!

timbob

In Second Gear
Hi,
First timer here so go gentle...

I've got a beautiful H reg 200tdi Disco and had a thing once in a while for the last few months where you turn the key and something is going "tick, tick, tick, tick" quite rapidly and the truck doesn't start. After a couple of turns it usually kicked in and started perfectly.

Lat week I was sat there with the "tick, tick" thing and then saw smoke coming up from the centre console. I popped the bonnet and grey smoke was coming out from by gearbox, and the throttle cable rubber was smoldering. I disconnected the battery and called the Son-in-law who came out, replaced a couple of electric cables that looked a bit dodgy and replaced the hand brake cable which was fried. All seemed fine and fixed...

Got in the truck today and same thing, "Tick, Tick" and then smoke. The brand new hand brake cable has melted now and the car wouldn't turn over. I scrabbled about wiggling cables under the bonnet, got back in and she started straight away. I removed the split pin from the handbrake cable so I could move the truck and i've been driving like that today and leaving it in gear instead of handbrake when parked...

Anybody got any ideas? Son-in-Law is stumped.... and I'm supposed to be driving Devon to Newcastle at the end of the week...

All help really appreciated...
Cheers :eek:)
Tim

What Dan said. Check the main engine earth to chassis on the back of the gearbox. Have search on here though first cos the exact cause and repair have been posted before.

HTH

Hi,
First timer here so go gentle...

I've got a beautiful H reg 200tdi Disco and had a thing once in a while for the last few months where you turn the key and something is going "tick, tick, tick, tick" quite rapidly and the truck doesn't start. After a couple of turns it usually kicked in and started perfectly.

Lat week I was sat there with the "tick, tick" thing and then saw smoke coming up from the centre console. I popped the bonnet and grey smoke was coming out from by gearbox, and the throttle cable rubber was smoldering. I disconnected the battery and called the Son-in-law who came out, replaced a couple of electric cables that looked a bit dodgy and replaced the hand brake cable which was fried. All seemed fine and fixed...

Got in the truck today and same thing, "Tick, Tick" and then smoke. The brand new hand brake cable has melted now and the car wouldn't turn over. I scrabbled about wiggling cables under the bonnet, got back in and she started straight away. I removed the split pin from the handbrake cable so I could move the truck and i've been driving like that today and leaving it in gear instead of handbrake when parked...

Anybody got any ideas? Son-in-Law is stumped.... and I'm supposed to be driving Devon to Newcastle at the end of the week...

All help really appreciated...
Cheers :eek:)
Tim

Hi Tim, you have a faulty earth problem. Take off all the earth straps and clean them back to bare metal them reinstall.

Thanks for all the responses folks!!
Spent most of this evening doing what you all said (taking off earth straps and cleaning, reinstall, etc)
And we've added a new earth between the engine (near the starter motor) and battery.
All seems well at the moment... :)
So thanks to all....
I'll re-post if there's a problem but lets consider this SOLVED!!

Back
Top Bottom