• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Members in Kent / workshop day

Many thks to everyone for sharing ur locations

hopefully next year we may get the chance for everyone to have an afternoon / day out somewhere plse i, IE

1) greenlaning
2) assisting someone who’s stuck with something on there landy
3) clay pigeon shoot

funny enough did look at car track days but there silly money as of course don’t want something that’s very expensive , of course open to suggestions that will allow us to meet up , along with a few laughs along the way

thks again

Gary

As there is a few of us in the Kent area, how about we arrange to meet at a central location? For example Mickey's Diner on the A229 on the first Saturday of every month. I will say, it's not very central but it's one of the few I know with a decent sized car park.

Think we should start a new thread on kent green lane routes .plot some routes that a fairly near each other if that’s possible now …maybe draw some maps up with road names numbers so there easy to follow .then get out and do it .

The worrying part always for me is going out laning and scratching owners cars that I’ve invited out …🙁

Dug out a couple of old OSM curious to see how many of these Byways are still open on here ..I’ve had these 20 years plus . IMG_3232.jpeg

Dug out a couple of old OSM
These bring back memories.
Used to cycle and walk a lot when lived in Kent. North Downs Way, etc and down to our caravan at St Mary's Bay near Dymchurch.
Have lived in Rochester, Chatham and Wigmore (outskirts of Rainham).
Had offices all over so worked in Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Chatham, Gravesend, Eltham, Bromley, Lewisham, Woolwich and spent too many years commuting into the city.
Was born in a military hospital abroad but lived east of the Medway from a young age - so does that make me a Man of Kent or an imposter?
Gradually worked my way north - currently in Northumberland.

These bring back memories.
Used to cycle and walk a lot when lived in Kent. North Downs Way, etc and down to our caravan at St Mary's Bay near Dymchurch.
Have lived in Rochester, Chatham and Wigmore (outskirts of Rainham).
Had offices all over so worked in Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Chatham, Gravesend, Eltham, Bromley, Lewisham, Woolwich and spent too many years commuting into the city.
Was born in a military hospital abroad but lived east of the Medway from a young age - so does that make me a Man of Kent or an imposter?
Gradually worked my way north - currently in Northumberland.
I bet a lot of those places you mentioned have changed dramatically over the years you probably wouldn’t recognise them .i still go up there once a week on business and it’s changing so much.Lewishem is built up beyond recognition residency and business blocks everywhere .
i now live overlooking part of the north downs military canal quite high up .and originally from London so there is quite a difference from hustle n bustle of busy London to the country side .i don’t think I could go back .”my land rover certainly can't” .

Have you settled where you are now or are you planning a move again seeing as your working your way up .

Hi Paul,

Even when I was down there I wasn't a fan of South London. Lewisham, Woolwich and Eltham were changing even then. Would not like to be there now.
Went back to my 1st ever house in Chatham a few years ago. The road is now full of immigrants of various hues. Very rough and unrecognisable. The high street has changed beyond recognition and not for the better.

Given a choice in the current 'state of the nation' I'd be moving to one of the Scottish islands, but family commitments come first. We were settled but a recent change means we are now potentially looking for a move back to North Yorkshire. So more likely to be working my way back down 🙁 Just can't find the right place at the moment. I've no interest in large towns and cities - been there and done that. Looking for rural/semi-rural. Ideally a plot to build on but decent plots are like hens teeth and so expensive.

It doe
Hi Paul,

Even when I was down there I wasn't a fan of South London. Lewisham, Woolwich and Eltham were changing even then. Would not like to be there now.
Went back to my 1st ever house in Chatham a few years ago. The road is now full of immigrants of various hues. Very rough and unrecognisable. The high street has changed beyond recognition and not for the better.

Given a choice in the current 'state of the nation' I'd be moving to one of the Scottish islands, but family commitments come first. We were settled but a recent change means we are now potentially looking for a move back to North Yorkshire. So more likely to be working my way back down 🙁 Just can't find the right place at the moment. I've no interest in large towns and cities - been there and done that. Looking for rural/semi-rural. Ideally a plot to build on but decent plots are like hens teeth and so expensive.
It seems to me the whole of the UK is full of immigrants or foreigners no matter where you go .i travel a lot with work and no bugger is English anymore there are some real run down towns around ,it’s a shame the country has got like it is .
There are some nice places to go which are out of the way but it’s finding work when you get there .hence the cities are busy busy .But could we do without all the foreign workers who knows 🤔.

As you say finding a plot of land to build on is getting really scarce .its worth to much money now .

It seems to me the whole of the UK is full of immigrants or foreigners no matter where you go
Aye. You cannot integrate the numbers coming into this country. We are just stacking up problems for the future. There's a part of Newcastle I drove through recently and it was like being in Mogadishu. No pale skins anywhere. Despite some of the meme's I put up to make a point I'm not racist, homophobic or anything else - but this is getting ridiculous and our way of life is being undermined. I'll probably get labeled as a white supremacist or something equally stupid just for saying this.
c4807354b6800303.png

People are afraid to speak up about many things these days in fear of being labelled. What happened to free speech?

I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Aye. You cannot integrate the numbers coming into this country. We are just stacking up problems for the future. There's a part of Newcastle I drove through recently and it was like being in Mogadishu. No pale skins anywhere. Despite some of the meme's I put up to make a point I'm not racist, homophobic or anything else - but this is getting ridiculous and our way of life is being undermined. I'll probably get labeled as a white supremacist or something equally stupid just for saying this.
View attachment 518927
I agree wholeheartedly with you .but I fear it is too late now for the country to do anything about it .as you say you can’t speak anymore without being labelled a racist .i think before long you will see splinter groups formed and those groups will get bigger and bigger And bigger …then things may start to happen..

Better stop writing now .

Back
Top Bottom