• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My D4 Story

Guitar Mick

Staff member
As the price of an early D4 is starting to get into the reach of the ordinary man and with the impending demise of the internal combustion engine I felt I had to make the decision to make the leap. Given my age, (rapidly approaching 70 !) this is probably going to be my last hurray with a vehicle like a Discovery or a Range Rover. So, for the last year and a half I have been searching for the right vehicle. Then, last Sunday evening, up pops just such a car. A 2011 D4 with only 175 kilometres on the clock AND only one owner from new.
I had never seen that before, I had to ring up and get to see it. I made arrangements with the seller to go and view it the very next day and ask for first refusal, which he very kindly agreed to.
For anyone who is not familiar with the Irish motor taxation system, this will give you some background.

There are two types of registration available for cars in Ireland.
Most are privately registered, but a large number (that have a big enough load capacity) are on a commercial plate. The private cars are put through an NCT (same as the UK’s MoT} every year after the first three years from new. The NCT stations are Government run and there are one or sometimes two NCT test stations in each County.
The commercially registered vehicles are tested at separate DoE test centres and they test all the commercial vans , lorries, coaches etc. and cars that have a large enough load space to qualify for commercial registration. The Discovery is one such vehicle and you can have it as a full commercial, with just the drivers and front passenger seats left in and the rear floor boarded through. Or you can take out the third row of seats put in a mesh bulkhead and register it as a crewcab. There are a few T’s & C’s to comply with, first you must have a business and or be VAT registered. The conversion must be done by a professional installer and have an engineers report completed.
The cost of conversion is around €500.00 but, once done, the road tax is €333.00 a year as opposed to a privately owned Discovery on which the road tax would be €2,450.00 !!
I am self employed, so I can run a vehicle for business use. So I either look for a Discovery that is already on a crewcab plate, or, I look for a good privately owned one and get the conversion and the re-registration done. Two problems arise with the Discovery that is already on a crewcab plate. If you buy form a dealer you will be charged 21% VAT and as I am not VAT registered that’s not an option for me. The other problem is crewcab Discovery’s that are a private sale can present with no VAT to be paid as the person selling it is also not VAT registered, but they are generally very high millage and tired by the time they are 10 years old and from what I have seen, would be an immediate money pit.

So, the best option is to look for a Discovery that has been privately owned and convert it to a crewcab. This is what I have found.
D4 31:07:23  2.jpg

D4 31:07:23  1.jpg

Looks a nice Disco this one in silver .

This does sound a lot of work the Irish system .basically the same car nothing to do with emissions which road tax is meant to be calculated on .but if you board it out you get it for less …saying that the same here with a land rover my old defender had no windows in the sides and was basically branded a commercial for tax reasons …and Dartford crossing payments that used to really pish me off ,bloody rows I used to have when you used to pay a £1 at the window ..

At this point, I’d like to say a really big thank you to @gstuart for his excellent article on buying a D3 (much of which relates to the D4 too) and for his assistance in answering my many questions on the subject.
He is definitely the ‘go-to-man’ on this.

The car is in remarkably good order and because she is a one owner car the history trail goes right back to when she was bought. Always been main dealer serviced and comes with a full set of CompoMotive alloys, good tyres all round and a heavy duty ‘Front Runner’ roof rack. The swing-out spare, on the back looks a little home /hand fabricated, but is very substantial. There is also an extra 120lt fuel tank where the spare usually goes, hence the spare on the swing out bracket. I had thought about removing the tank and putting the spare back underneath. But a little research has shown that the 265 X 65 tyres that are on the car means that it wouldn’t fit underneath with out letting the tyre down. So a bit pointless really. So the plan is to get a 12v compressor and a couple of cans of tyre sealant and keep the spare back at base.

It turns out that this was a South African supplied car and was brought to Ireland in 2020 when the owner and his wife moved here. He decided to bring the Discovery with him, but now doesn’t need such a large car and is looking the go to a Tesla.
The interior is very clean, no splits in the leather seat seats ( the drivers squab is usually knackered in a Discovery of this age), so very impressed. We take it out for a run, very smooth and quiet with seamless changes through the automatic gearbox. We go to an empty car park, near by and run around in tight circles going from lock to lock, listening for any knocking from the UJ’s………nothing and what a tight turning circle for such a big car.
We get back from the test run…..i’m sold. We discuss price and agree a price €500 below his advertised price. Two days later the Discovery is in my garage….making friends with my Series 3.
Disco and Fumy 2.jpg

Attachments

• Disco and Fumy 1.jpg
    Disco and Fumy 1.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 21
Great looking disco mate , happy travel my friend

Plus ur so very welcome and glad it was of some use to u , always nice being able to help where possible

expect you’ve already seen it but plse remove ur tow bar as when not in use they get nicked very easily , in the boot side locker there should be a moulding for it to placed into

also at the end of the day found the discovery my favourite landy so far, particularly in the way it’s so nice to drive and comfort as it eats the miles

Great looking disco mate , happy travel my friend

Plus ur so very welcome and glad it was of some use to u , always nice being able to help where possible

expect you’ve already seen it but plse remove ur tow bar as when not in use they get nicked very easily , in the boot side locker there should be a moulding for it to placed into

also at the end of the day found the discovery my favourite landy so far, particularly in the way it’s so nice to drive and comfort as it eats the miles
Looking forward to putting some miles together, Good point on the tow hitch, it is key locked but it's not a good idea to leave it out. Hope I can find the blanking plug to stop crap getting into the socket. The moulded holder is still there, so it could be that the plug is in there somewhere too 🤞

As discussed earlier the next job is to get the car ready for it’s conversion to crewcab. This involves taking out the third row seats. These seats also make up the floor at the rear of the Disco, so a replacement floor will have to be made. The removal to the third row seats does create some extra storage space and I intend to make use of this.
First to get the seats out. The pair of seats are hold into the body with six brackets. The centre pair hold the pair of seats together and the outside brackets bolt to the body frame.
Here are the seats out, several YouTube vids suggest that they can be removed one at a time, but I found this wasn’t possible so took them out as a pair.
3rd row out.jpg

Once out of the car the seats can be separated. An 18mm spanner will hold the nut inside the seat chassis tube while you undo the TX40 bolts (a set of Torx bits is required here)
Here’s some pics of the process

Insert 18mm spanner.jpg Removing bracket .jpg Bracket off.jpg
Bracket removal 2.jpg Bracket off 1.jpg
The brackets will be reused to make up rails to support the new rear floor.

@Guitar Mick

yikes, I bet they weighed a lot , hope u don’t mind me asking but would u be so kind when u get chance to measure the new area for me please, including the height as also been thinking of removing the rear seats for extra storage

I did manage to get a genuine sliding floor so would be perfect to remove the seats and then have the sliding floor to cover everything

hope u didn’t mind me asking and look forward to see what u do

thks again

Did get some small leds for the boot which makes the world of difference for the boot area also replaced the OEM light for a LED puddle light where it shines the Land Rover emblem on the boot cover , still need to turn the writing the correct way round, lol

,still need to fit the dog vents I got , plus really like the mod of fitting defender rear mud flaps , look a lot better that the plastic ones

following thread with great interest

IMG_5851.png
IMG_5852.jpeg
IMG_5853.jpeg
IMG_5856.jpeg
IMG_5857.jpeg
IMG_5855.jpeg
IMG_5854.jpeg

@Guitar Mick

yikes, I bet they weighed a lot , hope u don’t mind me asking but would u be so kind when u get chance to measure the new area for me please, including the height as also been thinking of removing the rear seats for extra storage

I did manage to get a genuine sliding floor so would be perfect to remove the seats and then have the sliding floor to cover everything

hope u didn’t mind me asking and look forward to see what u do

thks again
no problem :thumbsup:

Those LED lights certainly lift the light values. The single bulb units originally installed are not very bright and the rear load area is not illuminated well enough to see what you are doing. Good upgrade.

This is how I made the support rails for the new floor. I got some box section steel tube and welded the brackets that I took off the 3rd row seats to the correct lengths to support the floor at the edges and in the centre. The centre support is probably a bit over kill, but it will certainly take a lot of weight.
So here’s the side rail (offside) made up and about to be bolted into place, the original brackets are circled red:

Side rail & brackets.jpg Side rail bolted in.jpg

This is the nearside with fitted with it’s cover clipped back on:

Side rail with cover on.jpg

Then the centre rail, the centre brackets takes an 80mm box section perfectly, has been made up and M8 holes drilled and tapped so I can use the holes in the bracket to secure the centre rail.
Here's a side-on pic showing the box section support and the brackets that they are bolted into:

Centre rail detail.jpg

And this is the finished rails in place:

Frame in.jpg

Next job, cut the boards.

would u be so kind when u get chance to measure the new area for me please, including the height as also been thinking of removing the rear seats for extra storage
The rear floor isn't flat, so I've done a rough profile diagram of the floor shape. You can see that there is a rise toward the tail gate then it falls to a fairly level section and then rises again as you come to the first centre bracket. This is probably the most useful area. My plan is to look for two strong plastic trays that will fit either side of the centre rail, roughly 375mm wide X 35mm across X 100mm deep. The depth measurement shown is from the underside of the suspended floor to the metal, if you are leaving the carpet in, this will take 20mm off the available depth.
Boot floor.jpg

This is the area I will be looking to fill with trays, either side of the centre rail, which is where the floor is at it's deepest:
Area that has maximum depth.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom