• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Odd LR 88 engine number

Darno

In Second Gear
Hi everybody
I found an interesting LR88 i would buy, the chassis number 907 accords with the year 1974, but the engine prefix is a strange 369, engine capacity reported is 2488 cm3...
The engine is a diesel and the owner says is a 1984 five main bearing... What engine could it be?
Any help would be appreciated.
Dario

Tanks for the replay Erubus, Yes could be a metric... but it's strange that the 369 doesn't appear in any number list

Where was the distributor pump for the injectors fitted? On the right side of the engine, facing up, or at the front right, horizontal facing to the back?

Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

EDIT.... The defender 2. 5 engines tend to start with the numbers 10, 11, 12, and a letter. For example, 12J for a nas diesel of 2495 cc. Different cubic capacity than you quoted too.

Last edited:
Tank you Big Sandy, nice to be here :) , here some pics of the engine...

Attachments

• 20180316_110025.jpg
    20180316_110025.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 407
  • 20180316_110020.jpg
    20180316_110020.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 301
From both, here is the number on the block, apologise for the poor quality of the pic

Attachments

• 20180316_110049.jpg
    20180316_110049.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 337
Very odd. I wonder if the third digit could be mistaken, or miss stamped? And the cubic capacity as stated doesn't tally with the 2.25 engine... Unless it's a rebore. Have to be quite a rebore though.... And even then I doubt it would be noted on the paperwork, and it certainly wouldn't alter the number.

More research required I think 🤔 I'll see what I can dig up.

Well, i'm not worried about the cubic capacity on the paperwork, could be just a mistranscription.
And even then I doubt it would be noted on the paperwork, and it certainly wouldn't alter the number.
I agree!

The engine run, but has some issue: alot of smoke ( really!!) and is difficult to start it up

Starting is probably those new style heater plugs, quite often they aren't wired up right. People often wire them using the ballast resistor on the bulkhead, and they shouldn't be, they require the full 12volts. If the wires for them are attached to the output end of the ballast resistor (looks like a coiled spring on the bulkhead) then they are wired up wrong, and won't have the power to work properly.

What colour was the smoke? Did it go away when warmed up? Looking at the photos I can see the distributor pump is advanced a bit, which you'd expect of an older engine, as things wear. Really, you'd need to get it stinking hot to know the true state of it smoke wise. Smoke could be a fuel issue, bad timing, worn injectors, or just good ol' wear and tear.

Well, the only thing I can find is the number 366 which denotes a 5brg diesel for a series 3. No mention of 369 anywhere that I can find.

You don't think somebody got the 6 the wrong way up? Odd one, for sure!

@Big Sandy: the car is not here where i live so i cannot currently check the heater plugs connections.

The smoke is dark and seem to decrease after few minutes, but i've just tried if the engine start. Next month i'll be there to do a more thorough check.

You don't think somebody got the 6 the wrong way up? Odd one, for sure!
Seem to be the only solution, but this mean that the Land Rover made the mistake...o_O

Anyway i'll check it again and i'll post a better pic.

Thank you very much Big Sandy for your interest and your suggestions.

Dario

No problem Dario!

I'll get a photo of the original heater plug connections for you, so you can see what you're looking for when you go for another look.

Dark smoke doesn't sound so bad, as long as its not blue or stinking of diesel. You really need to see it when up to temperature, and when driving it.

What sort of roadworthiness tests do you have in Italy? Do you have emissions tests and such like?

367 denotes a 2.25d made for the Danish military... Now I didnt realise you were in Italy, perhaps the 369 makes it a Santana 2.25 or some other continental or military engine.

I'll get a photo of the original heater plug connections for you, so you can see what you're looking for when you go for another look.
Thank you Big Sand, would be a great help!

What sort of roadworthiness tests do you have in Italy? Do you have emissions tests and such
we have to pass a severe test every two years, especially the emissions one and particularly here in north Italy, but the Land could be registered as historical vehicle...

@erubus: In effect i didn't think about Santana... but I did not find any info either. Do you know if Santana used the same engines as Rover?

Interestingly i dont see 367 on it and I cant find the site that said it was a Danish military number.
Thank you Erubus, I found it on "Land Rover Series lll specification guide" by James Taylor, page 57 report: "367 2.3 diesel for Danish military, 24 volt"

Maybe a Monday morning engine!
:D:D a real collector's engine!

Do you know if Santana used the same engines as Rover?

Up until 1968 they used engines shipped over from solihull and after '68 they started developing their own versions. They had a turbocharged 2.5 for instance and an inline 6 version of the 2.25d which I'd love to get my hands on one of. As to their engine codes, I can find no information, so we're still none the wiser haha.

Photo of the connections at the ballast resistor for the glow plugs. Bit scruffy looking.... :)

DSC_0083(1).png

I have the old style glow plugs fitted, that red cabling on the right is heading to the glowplugs. (the red isn't standard) So, on the left side of the image there are two cables attached, one thick, brown and red and one thin same colour.(in the black trunking. Can't see the thin one in the photo ). That big one the feed from the switch. The thin wires are for the bulb on the dash (they are are brown/red on the input side, and white/blue on the output end of the resistor.) The resistor cuts the power down, as the old style plugs work at less than 12v.

If you have the later probe type plugs fitted, like in your photo, the feed for the plugs needs to come from the input end of the resistor as they operate at the full 12v. So if the new plugs are wired like my old style ones, they aren't going to get hot enough to work properly. It will start eventually, but it will struggle.

Not sure if there is a difference between lhd and rhd, as to which way the cables are fitted. If there is, you just need to know which end is input to know which end to connect to.

If it has the new style plugs, and is wired up without the resistor in the circuit, and it still struggles to start from cold, or sounds like not all the cylinders are firing to begin with, then there's a good chance one of the plugs has failed.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and just a quick thought, the 5brg diesel engines are actually referred to as a 2.3, to differentiate from the 3brg. Still the same capacity though!

Back
Top Bottom