• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Oh no, not another one! What could go wrong?...

Steve Marquis

In Fourth Gear
Hi esteemed team,

I'm looking hard at another Landy to add to the fold and need some experienced eyes please.

It's a 1994 registered Land Rover (Tithonus ex-MOD) Defender 110 TDi 300. I understand the history of the Tithonus, It looks just the job for the work we have in mind for it up here in the frozen north that the 90 300TDi can't quite carry off.

1994-land-rover-110-65a2869b9fc7d.jpg

I've a bunch of pics and there are one or two rusty bits. Are they expensive rusty bits needing replacement or could I clean them up and add a lick of rust converter 🤞? What might bite me in the proverbial?

I'm still an inexperienced Landy owner don't forget! For sure I'll be taking her for a run and trying to wiggle all the bits that shouldn't and making sure those that should, do and I'll be listening to all those noises to detect if anything is rattling in an unfriendly manner! I'm OK for getting her up on the stands and doing stuff, I have all the books but a bit Nato Green behind the ears 😂

The pictures are here https://photos.app.goo.gl/1RDV4URdJL5V9y9b8 would you mind taking a look please and adding your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

That looks a nice wagon, have you bought it, if you have well done, the only thing I will say is rust on the engine sump, unheard off,😁 usually something is peeing with oil of some sort and natural gravity sends it down there, would it be rude to ask how much you paid for it, to be honest I don't care about how rude it is! How much are you paying for it? Good luck with it

That looks a nice wagon, have you bought it, if you have well done, the only thing I will say is rust on the engine sump, unheard off,😁 usually something is peeing with oil of some sort and natural gravity sends it down there, would it be rude to ask how much you paid for it, to be honest I don't care about how rude it is! How much are you paying for it? Good luck with it
Thanks @stevebus I thought maybe I was missing something! I'll let you know once the deal is done 😊

A mate of mine paid 13.500 quid for an MOD 90 that year aswell, in very good condition, if thats any help, a few issues but nothing to lose sleep over, photos are never really a good way to look at a motor I'm sure your aware but maybe someone else might spot something irregular but to me as the photos go all looks good, quite envious really, NO OIL LEAK, that's a first, I'd like another project as if I aint got enough of them running already, I'll hold you to that on once the deals done, nothing worse than a nosey bastard eh!😊

Looks ok seems to be a lot of oil round bottom of bell housing check rear oil seal
Do you mean here? Which I think is the back of the gearbox?

1000025811.png

I'm not fully aufait with the technical terminology yet sorry, I'll have a look in the book. Is the rear oil seal at the back of the gearbox?

🤞 It's ok as the floor is unmarked (no doubt someone will say it's already empty 🤭).

I'll have to read up on how to check. Another school day 😊. Thanks @jeff

Plus 1 in looking a really nice example , also having passed it’s MOT every time since 2014 so think that always says a lot in being well looked after

looking at those pictures reminds me of my old 109 and changing a complete exhaust system on my driveway

However last one showing the advisory’s, great the chassis hasn’t been mentioned

Nearside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii)) ,
Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii)) ,
Offside Front Fluid leak, but not excessive Steering Box Slight Leak (8.4.1 (a) (i)) ,
Offside Front Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii)) ,
Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii)) ,
Rear Oil leak, but not excessive Diff Pinion Seal Slight Leak (8.4.1 (a) (i)) ,

I think what Jeff said, he has got a very good point, not in the picture you've arrowed but the one with the blue vin plate affair in it, I wouldn't said its life threatening but definitely worth having a butchers at,

I think what Jeff said, he has got a very good point, not in the picture you've arrowed but the one with the blue vin plate affair in it, I wouldn't said its life threatening but definitely worth having a butchers at,
Also looks like the wading plug is in the bell housing so remove it and see if oil comes out

Personally I dislike underseal as it can hide a multitude of issues . A good inspection on those parts required .

Did the military use underseal ?

The oil leak is par for the course and could be a simple fix or less so but not a reason not to buy I’d have thought .

Know where ur coming from , must confess my chassis inside and out and underbody was treated with dinitrol, also removed all the wheel arch liners to get behind them

Alas hardest bit was getting any of the loose stuff off, then jet washing , steam cleaning and allowing it to dry

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom