• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Paper driving licence

I know somebody who sent a licence off for renewal a couple years back, had full car entitlement on it when it went in, and came back with full car and full m/c (class A) as well.

They had no interest in using that, and sent it back, but some mistake eh?

The guy I rent my big workshop from is 70 odds and still works away from home 6 days a week as a long distance artic driver.

It isn't that long ago that nobody, not even the DVLA would accept the plastic licence. They all insisted on seeing the paper bit.

I remember many years ago knowing a driver for a haulage company. He was coming back, empty, one christmas eve, with his foot hard down. The police pulled him for speeding and when the officer stopped him, a cocky young snot, he came out with the line"Alright then, let's see your pilot's licence"
Quick as you like Billy showed him the pilot's licence he had from flying fighters during the 2nd World War.
One very crestfallen copper sends Billy on his way

The guy I rent my big workshop from is 70 odds and still works away from home 6 days a week as a long distance artic driver.
he must be mad i am 58 and away 5 days not happy if i finish after 3 on friday . the day i am 68 i finish cant wait

Agreed. I've done a fair bit of work travel and hotels and the novelty has well and truly worn off. 3 months to state pension and no intention of doing any more business travel (unless of course its ridiculously over paid...;))

A paper version of the full uk driver's licence is NOT the same thing as the paper counterpart to a photocard licence, so the two shouldn't be confused.

I had to change my paper license last year (moved house) and I was very sad although it was starting to get rather tatty (went well with my truck). Now I have one of these new fangled 10 year plastic things...

I got my first license in 1971, the little red book type. :) This was replaced in 1974 when the green paper ones were introduced. In 1976 the renewal date was moved to age 70 rather than every 3 years.

In 1991 I got a new green paper one when we moved to our current address and still have it, tatty and creased but legible.

Can't see the point of paying Ā£20 for a photocard licence as mine expires in 2024.

I still have my old red book from the late 60s - and yes the tatty creased green paper one is just holding together, issued 1978 after I had 3 points removed (speeding in my scooter days). The only problem of not having bought a new photocard one is I only have my passport to use as photo ID - so have to take my passport to Screwfix to collect things, weird.

Back
Top Bottom