• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Parabolics and Shocks

Peter S

In Fourth Gear
Hi All,
Finally got my SWB down to the workshop after 4 months of sitting in my garden.
One of the jobs is I'm changing over to Parabolics because the leafs and shocks are ruined. The parabolics are from GB Springs.
The question i am asking is what are people thoughts on this? I was told to put SWB rear shocks on the front and LWB front shocks on the rear?

I suspect that's due to the extended travel? Sounds logical. I fitted 1-ton shocks too my 109" and they have been fine and its been at all angles and twisty stuff. So 1-ton fronts on the rear could be a good shout and even 1-ton fronts on the front. They should be good for the extra 2" a 1-ton chassis has which would be refelcted in the paras. Theres a post somewhere comparing length of shocks available for the series.

I suspect that's due to the extended travel? Sounds logical. I fitted 1-ton shocks too my 109" and they have been fine and its been at all angles and twisty stuff. So 1-ton fronts on the rear could be a good shout and even 1-ton fronts on the front. They should be good for the extra 2" a 1-ton chassis has which would be refelcted in the paras. Theres a post somewhere comparing length of shocks available for the series.

This chart ?
From that it looks like 1ton fronts and standard rears are your best bet. For reference the top land rover numbers with longer dimensions will be the 1ton type.
When I first installed paras on my 109" I kept the standard shocks which did not let the axle fully drop and was very noticeable off road as in it was a bag of S*** and struggled to get traction! I'm using 1ton shocks (from B***part of all places) on a standard chassis with gb parabolics and they work fine on and off road but I can't really comment for 88". Don't worry about the note on the bottom of the chart warning against using standard shocks unless of course you're going to drive hundreds of kilometers of washboard at high speed.

i found this when trying to sort out my dire BP springs

dampercompare.jpg

I've got standard britpart shocks with my paddocks parabolics on my swb they work fine but it only stands just under an inch taller than on the old springs

I had the opportunity to answer my own question today.
I measured and compared a standard LWB front shock absorber (SA) with a 1 ton SA.
The measurements from eye to eye were as follows:

Standard LWB front SA
compressed = 11.125 inches
extended = 17.125 inches.

1 ton front SA
compressed = 12 inches
extended = 18.5 inches.

You will note that my measurements don't agree with the comparison of the 1 ton SA above.

comparing standaed front LWB with 1 ton.jpg

The 1 ton SA is in the middle. (The shiny one, :))

In need of two new shockers for the front of my SWB with para's on have been using es3000 extended shocks but fronts have failed probably been on 7 years. I am thinking of fitting Landrover part RTC4231 which are 1ton shockers.
Looking at Paddocks they only sell Britpart version has anyone used them ?
ES3000 have shot up to £47.50 @

Yes have the BP fitted on my 109 (same part for the 88) they have been on for the last three years and doing a great job. The ES3000 are slightly better damped but £30 better I don't think so especially as they only lasted 4 or 5 years for me. The paint on ES3000 would have rust spots by now but the BP paint is surprisingly thicker although you might want to spray something like waxoil under the shroud. Which is another thing. I prefer the solid shroud to the water holding rubber boots of the ES3000 which would let the chrome rods pit and rust.
The fit is good on maximum spring drop there was still enough stroke left not to top out and enough room to hit the bump stops before the shocks bottomed out. I found that out around Eastnor a couple of months ago.

I have the same shocks on my 109 as conkers, not sure how long they have been on there now but still look as good as new. Again they replaced my second set of es3000's that had rotton out. Even if the britpart items only last as long as the procomps, at least they are a third of the price. Never noticed a difference in ride!

@Serious Series i think they are saying they used 109 britpart dampers, either way i can add that i have used britpart 1ton dampers on the front of my 88", the quality seemed good and the dampers, erm, damped !

landy88_suspension18.jpg

Force of habit calling them shocks, 99% of customers understand shock absorber yet require clarication if you call them dampers. Now where did that jate ring thread go to?

Force of habit calling them shocks, 99% of customers understand shock absorber yet require clarication if you call them dampers. Now where did that jate ring thread go to?

noo, i wasnt being a grammar nazi :D it just read as if you guys had 109 britpart shocks, rather than 109 1ton britpart shocks.

but now you mention it, the springs absorb the shocks :p

Ahhh I remembered conker had the 1 ton shocks so just assumed he had state din his post. I don't know what socks were on mine originally as it had a combat chassis with extended hangers from the factory so assume it came with the same shocks as the 1 ton. Either way they fitted great and work well with the paras. The originals I binned when I fitted the paras would probably still be going strong now if I hadn't been recommended the pro comps lol.

Nieve days when I went to the shop and said I want more ride height and handed over my card lol

Yes have the BP fitted on my 109 (same part for the 88) they have been on for the last three years and doing a great job. The ES3000 are slightly better damped but £30 better I don't think so especially as they only lasted 4 or 5 years for me. The paint on ES3000 would have rust spots by now but the BP paint is surprisingly thicker although you might want to spray something like waxoil under the shroud. Which is another thing. I prefer the solid shroud to the water holding rubber boots of the ES3000 which would let the chrome rods pit and rust.
The fit is good on maximum spring drop there was still enough stroke left not to top out and enough room to hit the bump stops before the shocks bottomed out. I found that out around Eastnor a couple of months ago.
I agree about the ES3000s.
They are almost designed to catch water and corrode.
I fitted them originally following recommendation from Paddock when I found the standard LWB shocks were fully extended with the vehicle stationary.
The LWB 1 ton shocks are far better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom