• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Pressure in Hoses and Overheating 2.5na 110

theprinceepaul

In Fourth Gear
Hi, just asking for advice, possible causes.

1985 2.5na 110

I've been noticing a pressure build-up on water hoses. In the winter I noticed the heater blower wasn't working, so that came out and it was the blower was sitting in water. All cleaned out and greased and all started to work again. When back together it wasn't blowing very warm at all so might be that the baffles around the heat matrix (was flushed through) were disintegrated and weren't replaced.

After a while I took it for a few short test drives and I noted that the hoses were pressuring and it was overheating a bit, so as a precaution I removed the thermostat just incase it was sticking. There was also a noticeable coolant loss (out of the header tank relief hose).

I've taken it out a few more times and yesterday noticed after 20 mile drive that as I arrived home, the header tank ****ed out steam and water for a few minutes, I'm guessing the cooling systems entire contents.

Of course I shouldn't have used the truck but needed to move something so nursed the old girl.

Wondering where to start. I'm based in the wilds of Sweden with no local garages that I trust (used for another car unsuccessfully).

Any ideas what I might be dealing with please share thoughts?

Have you tried a new thermostat yet, we had one do exactly that a week ago or so, new one in and alls good, make sure you get any air locks out and hopefully that'll be the end of it
Hi, just asking for advice, possible causes.

1985 2.5na 110

I've been noticing a pressure build-up on water hoses. In the winter I noticed the heater blower wasn't working, so that came out and it was the blower was sitting in water. All cleaned out and greased and all started to work again. When back together it wasn't blowing very warm at all so might be that the baffles around the heat matrix (was flushed through) were disintegrated and weren't replaced.

After a while I took it for a few short test drives and I noted that the hoses were pressuring and it was overheating a bit, so as a precaution I removed the thermostat just incase it was sticking. There was also a noticeable coolant loss (out of the header tank relief hose).

I've taken it out a few more times and yesterday noticed after 20 mile drive that as I arrived home, the header tank ****ed out steam and water for a few minutes, I'm guessing the cooling systems entire contents.

Of course I shouldn't have used the truck but needed to move something so nursed the old girl.

Wondering where to start. I'm based in the wilds of Sweden with no local garages that I trust (used for another car unsuccessfully).

Any ideas what I might be dealing with please share thoughts?

Thanks for the tips. I did try a new thermostat and it still pressured up. Also the fan runs permanently on these old cars. Bare in mind it overheated when driving at a constant 40mph in 2+'C.

What's the best way to check for air pockets.

When I refilled the coolant I topped up the header tank and also had the nut off on radiator top to ensure fully filled radiator.

It seems obvious but... is the water pump working correctly? With the radiator cap removed and running without a thermostat you should see a fairly vigorous flow of coolant through it.

Als.

It seems obvious but... is the water pump working correctly? With the radiator cap removed and running without a thermostat you should see a fairly vigorous flow of coolant through it.

Als.
The normal way to check your pump is working is to check for a flow through the small vent line fitted from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank.. If you can't see its outlet into the tank remove it at the tank and put it into the filler cap opening.. Revving the engine should see an increased flow of water through it..
That should be visible with thermostat fitted as well.. It serves as a vent for any trapped air in normal use and while filling..

You are right andy63, I was thinking about the system of my old series 3 which is different at that point...
Well that's a danger I face every time I reply to anything other than a query about the 2.2l tdci defender... I'm just not familiar with any of the other engines and their set ups.. And could be talking rubbish in some instances šŸ‘šŸ˜‚.
As mentioned above the op's symptoms are nearly certainly head gasket related

Thanks guys for all. The tips. Lastnthong I need is to start a major job, or even hand it to a garage and ask them to change head gasket at great expense when it might not be the issue.

If course most will say that a genuine mechanic should know what they are doing.

The ting is i took my car to the local garage (national chain in Sweden) and 3 times they got the fault wrong. In the end I went to main dealer who got it right first time.

Just a query. With the thermostat out, will the water flow freely. I.e should I be able to check this flow in the radiator top filler cap, from cold. I will of course need to refill the system and then drain again as I dont want it having plain water in it in case it freezes and I'm not going to waste another Ā£25 of coolant.

With the thermostat out it will flow freely bit I think @Als said that'll be a way to check your water pump is good, the only thing running with thermostats out is once it's hot it's staying hot really that's just a measure to get you out of the shit and home, not really the best plan to carry on using the old girl,
To be fair if you have any mechanical skills to do an head gasket on one of those is relatively easy, the hardest bit in my opinion would be lifting the head itself off and keeping your arsehole intact whilst your doing it, they are heavy!!! and another thing is if you do it yourself there's people on here that will help with advice along the way but it should only be a days work if that, so if it takes you 3 what does it matter, you've learnt something and saved a few krone aswell

Thanks Steve. No idea on the weight but I can lift a fair bit. As you suggest, just take time.

I've done a head gasket on my 205 about 5 years ago. All in a day. No problems with it since, so must have been OK. I didn't skim the head back then, just cleaned up with a razor.

I might leave for finer weather as it's still around freezing here now and also I'll most likely buy all the gaskets in England when I'm next over.

I've owned the old girl since 2009 and brought her to Sweden when we moved 18 months ago.

I wonder whether the head went in this last winter. It's got down to - 22c or there abouts both winters amand the poor thing is left out in the driveway with no protection from the elements.

IMG_20231222_083740.jpg

Just don't try using it like that and risk overheating and warping the head. Pressurised coolant spurting from the expansion tank is, IMO, a sure sign that it is the gasket (although could be a cracked head too of course). I suggest you purchase a test kit and test the coolant for expansion gas contamination, this will confirm the prognosis.

If you can do an head gasket on a Peugeot you'll walk that old engine, looks lovely in the photo, I was in Denmark for four years, I loved Scandinavia good quality of life, good luck with it all

Cheers Steve. I treated the old girl to a slightly younger stablemate. My other 2 205's are still in England. Both get attention whenever I'm out as it's all Volvo's out here in the wilds.

Attachments

• IMG_20230512_173545.jpg
    IMG_20230512_173545.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 14
I know this is a land rover forum and we're not here to talk about houses and where we live, mate if that's your place in Sweden I'm going to come round and let your tyres down, I was in Aalborg, top of Denmark, best beer in Europe, in much the same situation you're in there and I'm envious now, we should never have left, where in England do you go back to, if your near the channel tunnel on a venture back to blighty, I have a small holding your more than welcome to take a breather here and go on from here, if you do bring me a bottle of gajol that horrible licorice drink they all drink, lucky fuckeršŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom