• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Pressure in Hoses and Overheating 2.5na 110

Thanks for the nod on site etiquette, it's been a while since I've posted much.

I don't know Ålborg, but I go through Köpenhamn every two weeks. Never could understand the licorice obsession, especially the salty variety. Funnily enough I'm from Sheffield, so not your neck of the woods (thanks for the invite), but we have the Bassett's licorice factory at Hillsborough.

The licorice bit is a strange one, if you like a beer or two it is a strange but good compliment, bit like cheese and chocolate, keep us all posted with the old wagon, all the best fella

Ok, so an update on the engine problem. Today I went out to the truck and gave it a charge (low battery so wouldn't start). Started ger yo and took off the header cap and radiator header cap. Filled up with water and let her get up to temperature. As per normal she sits just shy of middle guage. No thermostat is in the block yet.
So it go up to temp and I ket her sit running for a good 20 mins. The pipes pressured up again, but even with caps back on there was no overheating. I checked for flow in the radiator and there was definately a circulation of water. Anyway I decided to give her a gents run down the lane at about 30mph. As I got around 1 mile away, the temp guage lowered to about a quarter mark and sat there. It was about 8'c out so not a warm day.

I stopped for diesel and to check there were no hissy-spitty noises and all seems good. Nursed her back home and left her running. Popped the hood and found that there was no longer ant pressure in the Hoses. Removed the header cap and near to no pressure.

Not really sure what to make of her at the moment, but appears to be running as normal, albeit slightly cooler on the guage.

I'm loathe to start stripping the head if there is no longer a fault showing.

Clearly I'll try her again, with a few gentle journeys.

Any thoughts anyone?

You need to get the thermostat back in it to get a true reading to what is going, it shouldn't run without one and you won't get pressure without one cos it can escape out of the header tank vent,

Ok, so an update on the engine problem. Today I went out to the truck and gave it a charge (low battery so wouldn't start). Started ger yo and took off the header cap and radiator header cap. Filled up with water and let her get up to temperature. As per normal she sits just shy of middle guage. No thermostat is in the block yet.
So it go up to temp and I ket her sit running for a good 20 mins. The pipes pressured up again, but even with caps back on there was no overheating. I checked for flow in the radiator and there was definately a circulation of water. Anyway I decided to give her a gents run down the lane at about 30mph. As I got around 1 mile away, the temp guage lowered to about a quarter mark and sat there. It was about 8'c out so not a warm day.

I stopped for diesel and to check there were no hissy-spitty noises and all seems good. Nursed her back home and left her running. Popped the hood and found that there was no longer ant pressure in the Hoses. Removed the header cap and near to no pressure.

Not really sure what to make of her at the moment, but appears to be running as normal, albeit slightly cooler on the guage.

I'm loathe to start stripping the head if there is no longer a fault showing.

Clearly I'll try her again, with a few gentle journeys.

Any thoughts anyone?
It’s a tricky one with the problem going away again but I’d be tempted to do a compression test and see what the result is .
This should give you a clearer idea on a cylinder head gasket fault or not .

I can't think what they are called but the guy who does my MOTs had a bit of kit that measures the carbon monoxide levels in your expansion tank, it turns purple or green or what ever colour the manufacturer says if there is gases present, and he only charges a tenner for it, someone on here will know what they are called, the only other thing is if you or me or anyone else on here have a suspicion that the head gasket is gone and the car is doing things like you say it is unfortunately you usually find out that it has, and your symptoms are definitely looking that way fella

Thanks again for the tips on how to check in different ways. I'll look to get it tested as soon as I get an opportunity. Fortonately it's a car I can park up until it can get done. As suggested I will get the thermostat back in.

I can't think what they are called but the guy who does my MOTs had a bit of kit that measures the carbon monoxide levels in your expansion tank, it turns purple or green or what ever colour the manufacturer says if there is gases present, and he only charges a tenner for it, someone on here will know what they are called, the only other thing is if you or me or anyone else on here have a suspicion that the head gasket is gone and the car is doing things like you say it is unfortunately you usually find out that it has, and your symptoms are definitely looking that way fella

Funnily enough, I already suggested that

I suggest you purchase a test kit and test the coolant for expansion gas contamination,

Just google 'combustion leak test kit' and take your pick.

Back
Top Bottom