• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Replacement seats in a series III

Chrismdd

Accelerating Away
Hi folks

Wishing to replace my original (non-headrest) series III drivers and passengers seats. Probably keep the centre seat or eventually change for a cuddy box.

In your opinion which standard seats from a scrapyard will be the easiest to fit (must have headrests).

Regards

Chris

1983 SIII 88" 2.25P

I have just fitted Fiesta seats in mine from a 1994 model. All I had to do was cut the extensions off from the rails at the back, that is to say the things that reach down to the lower floor at the back. I did this with a slitting disc in an angle grinder. The seats fit beautifully and are very comfy. The adjusters still work and you still have a degree of adjustment to the backrests.

Volvo 240 seats used to be popular here, I have also seen Saab 900 seats used. I was looking at VW seats from the early 1990's the other day and they looked like a viable candidate too.

They'd all involve some skill to make work. If you find the right ones you might be able to get heated seats too.

i've heard that a discovery and a range rover back seat will fit in the front of a series although not at the same time. If you use a rangy one you can have a armrest and you could get a leather one so that its still reasonably waterproof.

Discovery seats in mine and quite comfy too. However I like the option the Fiesta ones offer as at times I'd like a bit of adjustment.

defender seats are the easyest, thats what i've fitted in my S3 they just bolt stright in. i had rover sd1 seats in my old 2A leather and heated.

Jay

A few pics of my Fiesta installation, one shows the attachments I made to bolt the seats down. Not very clear I know but I welded a bolt thru a steel plate and pop riveted said plate under the floor making a captive bolt, saves rolling around on the ground holding bolts while somebody else tightens the nuts. The carpet is for sound insulation.
I suppose many car seats with a flat bottom would also fit.

Attachments

• Seats 3..jpg
    Seats 3..jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 259
  • Seats 1..jpg
    Seats 1..jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 289
  • Seats 2..jpg
    Seats 2..jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 286
defender seats are the easyest, thats what i've fitted in my S3 they just bolt stright in. i had rover sd1 seats in my old 2A leather and heated. Jay

I agree, they look the part, and you can keep the centre seat as well as part of the set. Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 301
Can`t remember where I found these pics of someone using the back seats from a Range Rover (I think) in the front of a Defender but should still fit a Series III. One part even folds to allow access to the battery box!

Attachments

• drivers_rests..jpg
    drivers_rests..jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 312
  • battery_access..jpg
    battery_access..jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 278
Cheers folks

A lot to think about and time to go round the scrappers and test them out.

Thanks also for the pictures put up as this really helps.

regards

Chris

I used toyota MR2 mk1 ones, they are small enough to keep the centre seat and thin enough to keep reasonable leg room, There are some pictures and more details in my work in progress thread.

Kevin

I used Recaros from a Vauxhall. They are very supportive, have good side supports for when you are boucing about, sit low enough so that the steering wheel is not on your knees and as you can see from the pic, plenty of room for a decent size cubby box.

You can get Recaro seats of this type (in various different types of trim) from MK2 Astra SRi/GTE, Cavalier MK3 SRi/GSi, MK3 Astra GSi and probably quite a few more from the 80s and early 90s. I paid £20 for the pair.

stereo and heate&#11.JPG

Can`t remember where I found these pics of someone using the back seats from a Range Rover (I think) in the front of a Defender but should still fit a Series III. One part even folds to allow access to the battery box!
That looks very interesting, I tried the SAAB 900 seats in my 109 pick up cab but the head rests fouled on the back window and pushed my chest into the steering wheel. I went back to my old seats because I did not want to take the chance of skewering my thoracic cavity in an accident. These look like they still have plenty of room.

Well i'm just about to go collect a rangy back seat as been wanting to do this for a while, it's going into my s3 88". Will let you all know how it goes!

I really like this idea, a bit of luxury in a series! Perfect.

I can't see by the original seats in a Series. Fair enough the Defender are good.

Tried all sorts in last truck including a neat type of Recaro. Went back to de-luxe Series. That sliding in and out puts a lovely shine on the ass of your pants :eek:.......did I just say that?:D

Right then, to all the people that have emailed me to ask if i could post on how i get on with fitting the rangy back seat into the front of my 88"...................................f off and leave me alone!!
Nah only joking!! I will do as soon as i get the fixing clamps off a range rover back seat as the one i bought did'nt come with any, should have some tomorrow though and be posting on how i got on...............

i dunno about you guys, as much as i love the retro fitting of ford and vauxhall seats, removing the seats (bases) quickly and easily is very important for me, storage and acccess

I mounted my MR2 ones using 2 lugs which slide into slots at the back and 2 easily accesable bolts in the front face of the seat box, takes about a minute to pull the whole seat out.

Back
Top Bottom