• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

S11A Airportable

A quick scrute of the front brakes reveals that the trailing shoe (on either side) is only engaging for about the final inch of the arc whilst the leading shoe is engaging a little bit more but not by much.
No obvious difference between them to be honest though the left hand side drum required a lot more persuasion to part company with the hub

Could be worse.
I assume they mean side to side, and not front to rear..?
Yeah side to side, apparently it pulled violently to one side under braking on road test. Something I hadn't noticed, but then again I rarely brake hard, don't brake much at all if I am honest, tend to anticipate and look further up the road than some people seem to, possibly all those years and miles on bikes.
As luck? would have it the tester had owned a series11 for many years so was very familiar with them

pix None of them appear to be doing very much of anything TBH
1 Driver's side leading shoe
2 Driver's side trailing shoe
3 passenger side leading
4 passenger side trailing

FECK!! is that a split in that TRE boot?

Note to self, refasten the laces on that gaiter

Attachments

• IMG_2421.JPG
    IMG_2421.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2422.JPG
    IMG_2422.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2424.JPG
    IMG_2424.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 12
You may have to mate the shoes to the drum with a bit of judicial sanding. New drums, new shoes....they won't have had a chance to bed in yet.

There's always the option of riding the brakes a bit....🙄

Which side was pulling? The left?

I forget what brand shoes you got, but they do look like they need a nice hard bedding in as BS says.

One of them looks a bit lop sided on the wear. Take off the high spots with some sanding and then try again I guess, bit of riding here n' there maybe then try some 'hands hovering the wheel' braking to see if you can (un?)adjust one side to make it more even based on the pull.

Feck! It never ends.
Managed to find 2 proper FV headlights to replace the generic Lucas headlamps. Points to note, the FV headlights are much better made and fit the fabulously complicated military headlight mounting much better. They are still available from Land Rover at an insane price (ÂŁ200 each)
But, fitted them and, of course, now one side doesn't work. Ah must be my rough handling of the bulb, whip it out, test it and it works perfectly. Obviously I have dislodged a wire somewhere. No, continuity and voltage tests and all good there, put the bulb back in and it doesn't work. Grab the wires and give them a good shake, an a flicker followed by a faint glow. The earth, must be the earth. Bridge it out, nothing. Test bulb again, works perfectly, swap headlamp units over and the problem swaps sides with it, swap the bulbs in the headlamps and the fault goes to wherever the bulb is fitted. Test the bulb again, works perfectly.
The only obvious difference is that the spring loaded plungers don't seem to be as compressed when the "faulty" bulb is fitted.

Back
Top Bottom